Can we have a good black role model please ?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Rambler, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    LOL
    If being a cokehead,warmongering, big business led politician is what you want to be that is.

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I can't believe noone's mentioned John Barnes. One of the most intelligent, strong and talented players (not just black) England has had. The amount of abuse and pressure that man had to endure (from his own fans at some points) was unbelievable. And all the way through it, he never let it bother him, at least not publicly. Read his biography and tell me you don't greatly admire him. Of course, some dipshit Celtic supporter will think that his managerial record with them alone is enough to wash away his accomplishment, but don't be fooled.

If not him, then definitely Paul Ince. :)

3. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    I respect barnes' achievements as a player, but the fact is what he did at celtic DESERVES to be eteched onto his gravestone, were still recovering from it today, there was a programme on BBC3 the other week there that even had the cheek to intone that barnes wasnt given a fair crack of the whip at celtic because he was black, that is taking the piss if you ask me.

4. Youdon'tsavethose

Youdon'tsavethose New Member

Oct 4, 2003
    what about ian wright,and what he achieved for burnley.you dont get more british blood rushing through black vains.

5. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    A couple of things about John Barnes, 1) Was caught on more than one occasion "playing away from home". 2) Was more concerned how the West Indian Cricket team was doing when he was playing for England. There is a story that he missed a half time team talk because he was tryin to find out the latest

Thats not the role model black Britons need

6. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    :confused:

Please name some 'EPL white british role models' i'd be interested in hearing what names you come up with. There isn't one i can think of without some taint on his record so where does this color difference come from?

7. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Ian Wright?
    David James?

Do England fans take offense when they do monkey sounds at yall's players?

8. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Are you a black Briton? Are you the arbiter of whom black Brits should admire or emulate?

As Dark points out human frailty knows no colour.

I'm sure you didn't mean for it to come out this way, but IMO the premise of this whole thread is offensive and condescending...

9. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    [​IMG]

Voted the most influential black footballer in britain in the last two decades.
    Dedicated family man.
    Absoloute demon on the park.

10. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

Well, if you're gonna be "diggin' in the crates..."

http://www.furd.org/arthurwharton.asp

Arthur Wharton, the originator and the color line breaker.

BTW, I'm still waiting for you reasons not taking to Robbie Earle.

How 'bout Terry Phelan, Marcus Gayle, Les Ferdinand...

Oh just purchase a copy of "Pitch Invaders" and pick someone!

11. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    Michael Owen.

12. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland

How fvckin boring would you have to be to look up to Michael Owen, the boy is in bed with his horlicks and latest copy of "Stud" by half 8 I bet.

13. guddy69

guddy69 New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    london
    re re re..

"Please for my America friends if Mr Bush is your role model good.. "

GOOD?? imagine everyone using george bush as a role model!!

we would all be accusing each other of crimes killing each other and saying it was gods will..

14. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Bush a role model? Perhaps to parrots. Because Bush really knows how to repeat what he is told.

I really don't know why somebody would dream about being a complete idiot. I think 99% population of Europe agrees with me on this one. And perhaps some Americans have also come to this conclusion.

I really don't know how America was able to elect such president. I will never be able to understand that. It's so obvious he doesn't know what he is talking about half the time. And he is even not a good actor.

15. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But role models are supposed to teach you to always stand on your own two feet and take whatever comes your way.
    How does Michael "The Floparoo" Owen fit that? :)

16. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

"Guyana born Andrew Watson was capped three times for Scotland between 1881 and 1882, and is now believed to have been the first black football (soccer) player to represent his country. He began playing in 1874 and subsequently played for Queens Park. Until this discovery, it had always been maintained that the first black footballer was Arthur Wharton, who played for the English team of Preston North End. But Watson pre-dates him by 11 years."

Did we miss this part? ;)

17. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    No problem. I would even join this conversation, but I really could not exist. There is not a person on this Earth that I deslike more than him. I really don't know why. But I just can't stand him. I can't listen to him for more than five minutes. I want to smash my TV.

18. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Relax man, there isnt an american deserving of role model status anyway least of all bush ;)

19. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    I am not a man. I am just a girl with curly blond hair and green eyes. "Man" is just a too strong word for me.

20. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Very sorry man, just got finished with an Easy Rider/Apocalypse Now double bill man, that Dennis Hopper man,what a man,man.

21. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Now I don't like you anymore and I am crying.

22. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Brits are supposed to be masters of the tongue and cheek. I hope that's where you were going w/ this statement.

23. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Ryan Giggs - the greatest black Welsh athlete, ever

24. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Could just be hair, were still waiting on independant verification ;)

25. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Well, he has talked about facing racism because of his father (e.g. http://www.srtrc.org/giggs.htm) and since we're including biracial players like Rio Ferdinand in the discussion, then surely Giggsy counts as black, no?