Can we have a good black role model please ?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Rambler, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    I mean, seriously , is it just me or what. ?There are a lack of black role models in British society as it is. In football there can be lots though, but they are not exactly shining examples are they. Will the media address this, or will the hush hush PC Brigade have their day again and stop such opinions from seeing the light of day.

Thoughts please

2. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    What about, Shaka Hislop, Darius Vassell or perhaps Marcel Desailly ?. All pretty decent players, and haven't got into any trouble as far as I know.

Stuff role models, where are the British Asian (i.e. hailing from the Indian subcontinent) players ?.

3. oojason

oojason New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    England
    Shaun Goater's services to those less fortunate than him is a great story. IIRC he collected an OBE earlier this year.

Sadly, the UK media (mostly tabloids) ignore it for sensationalist stories - ie Beckham goes shopping, Rio doesn't take drug test, Sol - I've done nothing worng (other than kick out at an opponent) etc

4. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Des Walker ?. 37 years old, and still playing in the 1st division. Tony Ford, most career league appearences ever (about 900+) ?.

5. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Preferably a British role Model would be better suited and higher profile than the players you mentioned.

Where is the black David Beckham ? Does one exist ?

As for Asian players, they are not encouraged enough to make their way in the sporting field. I also wonder if they are possessed with the required balance or skill to make it as good football players. Countries from the Asian sub-continent are not exactly doing it on the International stage.

6. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    Emile Heskey - England Legend.

7. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Shaka Hislop (first name Neil) and Vassell are British.

As for Indians not having a decent football team, it's because cricket is the sport over there. For example, Sachin Tendulkar is like a demi-God over there, and is mobbed wherever he goes. Hockey is another popular sport in India and Pakistan.

8. guddy69

guddy69 New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    london
    Emile Heskey - England Legend

i am not sure if you are serious??
    top striker!! how many did he score in the last three years??

how about justin fash... frank bruno...frank sinclare..gary wilmot..
    tim westwood..oops..

9. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
    Emile is a good role model though, he plays for a top team, plays for his country, very good discipline, helped his old team Leiscester out when they were in financial trouble, no hint of scandal about him, thats a role model in my eyes.

10. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    OK fair do's . I still think not many kids would want to emulate him though, I mean he falls over too much and gets slated by everyone for being useless

But he's a good bloke.

11. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

Gary Wilmot=John Salako. I swear they're the same person. Gary/John also pretends to be Brazilian and calls himself 'Rivaldo' as well. It's all a bit iffy to me.

And, did you know that Tim Westwood's dad is/was Bishop of Peterborough ?. Not very "bling, bling, I iz in da 'ouse innit" really.

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hislop plays for Trinidad & Tobago, and played college soccer in the United States.

There are some good players of Indian descent, but not necessarily in India... Vikash Dhorasoo has been capped by France, Michael Chopra has played for England U-20, and Kiran Bechan has played for Netherlands U-20. Thomas Pereira (half-Indian) has been capped by Norway.

13. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I'm pretty sure he was born in England though, so therefore is technically British. There was a British-born player who was on the fringes of the Nigerian squad (I think it was Adi Akinbiyi :eek: ), whilst Jamaican-born John Barnes played for England.

14. jumhed

jumhed Member

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

LOL. Genius. Westwood IS black. No really. As black as Micheal Jackson.

15. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    Robbie Earle
    Trevor Sinclair
    Paul Ince

As for wondering if Asian's have the "required balance or skill," dismiss those thoughts. The more Asians play the sport and work their way up, stars will emerge. It's as simple as that.

16. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003

People have been saying that for years.

And do me a favour, Paul Ince a role model !

17. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Re: Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

Im glad someone else has noticed this about the mysterious Mr Wilmots, I thought he was just doing it to wind me up!

Maybe I'm being a tad naive but shouldnt it not matter a toss who anyone looks up to as a role model as long as they are a decent person?
    Colour has very little to do with anything IMO, be it beckham or heskey on your wall as long as your happy with it, know?

18. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

yeah, well in an ideal world ...

19. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/gallery/awatson/default.html

Well I suppose you could do worse than this fella
    Captained one of the greatest defeats of england ever ;)

20. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

Doesnt say if you won or not .

If you did, whats the betting you lot tore down the crossbar again ...

21. Parkhead_Faithful

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

We won ;)
    If you click on his picture it takes you to this
    "Andrew Watson (top centre) was a member of the Scottish team that played against England at the first Hampden Park, on the 11th March 1882. Scotland played in blue and white hoops and won the match 5-1, watched by around 10,000 spectators."

I was there that day at Wembley actually, helluva party, I like the spin that has been put on it since though that it was mindless violence, I bet most of us still have our chunk of turf and crossbar, you lot just dont know how to have a good time ;)

22. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Emile Heskey - England Legend

We have a good time when we win - so there are plenty of those against the Jocks ;)

It's only a mindless few who give us a bad name

23. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    Definitely not Ian Coates of Dream Team fame..... He's a bad guy.

24. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    One could do worse than have Paul's ability and intensity on the pitch. Red mist fits aside, he's a warrior and rarely took a game off.

Remember this, one doesn't need be a world beater in order to become a role model. Beckham's appeal has to do with his wife, good looks as well as his footballing ability. One would think you could find inspiration at any level: either on a Premiership side in the Champions League or from a part-timer playing for Stevenage.

You can't let the media dictate who you should emulate.

25. NJ GUNNERS

NJ GUNNERS New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    South London - NJ/NY
    Please guys get your thinking caps on.. This is got nothing to do with blacks or white...

We have a problem here with lots of young people to say "sports man/woman" being paid lots of money and dont have any idea what they doing..

My friends dont see these stars"players" as role models.. whether black or white.. If you think Beckham , Ferdinand, Rooney etc is your role model then you seems to have a problem..

The same way I dont see Mr Blair as a role model for Britain whether back or White..

Please for my America friends if Mr Bush is your role model good.. He is a good person to learn from I guess.. And not to forget if Mr Schwarzenegger is a good role model for california.

So please leave the race and color issue out of sports..