Can we get Friedel on WC team?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by minya, Feb 6, 2010.

1. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Do we want him? Do we need him?
    Just watched Everton and Villa. My answer is "yes".
    Can we get him?

2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Not gunna happen BB goes with Howard through the whole cycle and just switches Freidal in at the last minute? ya right.

3. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He is great. But he has passed the torch. It's Howard's time now. If everything were to hit the fan, I could see Bob making the call on the bobphone or the boblight. But otherwise, there is no need.

Friedel was amazing in his time, though.

4. ryebreadraz

ryebreadraz Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had Friedel never stepped away from the Nats and had battled with Timmy for the starting spot all cycle, I could see him winning the starting job, but not at this point. You don't step in at this point of a cycle unless injury dictates it.

5. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It may well be [and I'm inclined to think so] that Friedel this year is still playing at a [marginally] higher level than Howard. Do I regret his decision to forego the Nats? Yes. But to change at this point could be disastrous. The marginal gain in individual performance, over a short tournament, could be negligible, and the effect on the interaction between our defense and the keeper, as well as its affect on team morale, could be severe. Emergency need, sure. But as long as Tim is healthy he will/muist finish out this cycle as the keeper; no matter how Brad is performing for Aston Villa......

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. But Friedel is still better than Timmy. That "marginal" difference could be the difference between a save and a goal. A win and a draw or a loss. Between advancement and elimination.

Really, these guys are pros and should realize that the best players should play. This applies to Jones, Friedel, Regis, or whomever.

7. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    cant go wrong with either guy. I am not too worried about his mistake today vs. LFC. He'll learn from it.

Only way Friedel comes back is if Howard goes down with a major injury. I love Guzan but we cant give him the keys to the car in June

8. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    no but bradley can call him up to back up howard

9. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    Friedel is too proud for that. It would be great if he did make the plane to SA though.

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    This just in from 2005. Brad Friedel retires from US National Team to prolong club team football!

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6929026

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If he played International Football for the last 4 years traveling to every game he may not be playing football any longer. Travel does not do a body good at age 37/38. Read his comments when he retired from US National Team.

12. ryebreadraz

ryebreadraz Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. The only way he comes back is if Timmy gets hurt and the national team really needs him. Even that is a maybe.

That said, even if Timmy does hurt, Hahneman would most likely take the starting spot and you can bet that we'd still be in better shape between the sticks than England.

13. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    I think that Howard is hugely overrated by NT supporters, mostly because of empty space behind him. Those who watch Premier League don't think that they are really close.
    Friedel has already prolonged his career. At this point it's coming to the end anyway.
    I believe if asked (as a starter of course) he would agree.

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by "empty space behind him"? Not computing with me...

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's more than a maybe. I think if Howard were to get hurt before the World Cup and Bradley were to ask him, I think Friedel would probably accept. Though it is interesting that the current #2 for the US is also Friedel's #2 at Villa. I wonder if he'd clear it with Guzan first.

I'm not all that worried. I'd have called a foul on Kuyt on that play anyway. He clearly pushed off even if Howard should have been able to fight through it anyway. Goalies usually get the benefit of the doubt on those.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Not if Howard isn't hurt he wouldn't. What part of he retired from International Football 5 yrs ago don't you understand. Alot of very good older players have done it. Bergkamp, Shearer, Pele. He has stated many times he wants to prolong his club career as long as possible and playing in the WC with a healthy Howard wouldn't be the way to do that.

17. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    Like nobody ever retired and came back later. Playing in 3-5 game in the WC will not impact his career. How is Howard related to his decision? Howard neither his close friend nor a relative.

18. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or how about 90% of the current team now hasn't played with Friedel and thus would not have the same chemistry as with Timmy?

Close teammates to Timmy probably would not think highly of the move if Friedel were to just walk on the team and get the start.

As an injury replacement however, MAYBE.

19. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    They all are professionals. They change teams and partners. Everybody wants the best keeper on their team. They would take Cassilas without questions.

20. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Casillas is undoubtedly better than Howard. Is Friedel "undoubtedly" better than Howard?

There are probably several of the USMNT players who honestly think otherwise. Would they take Friedel without questions?

21. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Freidel is the best american keeper still playing today. Howard is next, then Guzan, then Reis, then Keller, then maybe Hahneman.

Tim Howard might be a better reflex shot stopper and better at one v one break aways but Freidel controls the air in the box and can get to more balls headed to the upper nineties due to a larger wingspan than Tim.

Both have their good aspects and weaknesses that may be a better pitted against certain opponents.

After watching Tim today against Liverpool, I'm not so sure Freidel wouldn't be a better choice in goal for the US when they have to play against England in the WC this summer.

22. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd say Keller and Hahnemann are both clearly better than Reis. I think Keller is the best GK in MLS and Reis isn't any better than the next best GKs (Hartman, Cannon, Perkins, Thornton, and Busch and Hesmer are there or thereabouts as well).

Anyway, re the thread: Why would we call Friedel back from a 5-year international retirement to go to the WC when he hasn't played a part in the entire cycle, when we still have three Premier League GKs (and good MLSers) wanting to be a part of this team, and when one of those Premiership keepers has started nearly every important game for the US for years? Then even if we did, why would he accept and who would he replace? He wouldn't be coming to sit on the bench, so it seems some here want a guy that hasn't figured into our team since before the last WC since he retired to bump our current guys that have been a part of the tough defeats and crucial wins, have actually been a part of the squad both on and off the pitch, have actually done all the traveling...have actually qualified us for the World Cup. "Sorry Tim, thanks for the last three years of performances but I saw that mistake vs Liverpool. We've called Friedel in to take your spot."

If there were an injury though, maybe. Hahnemann and Guzan are good keepers in their own right though, so any emergency call ups may be for the #3 spot or a tough battle for #1. Even then it seems Keller would be more willing to come back and fight for the #1 at the WC than Friedel. I have to say I would be more comfortable with Keller or Friedel than any other potential GK other than Howard, Hahnemann, or Guzan, but that's the thing. If only one of those three go down there could still easily be two guys ahead of the guy coming out of retirement, and who would un-retire to warm the bench or fight for a spot at 39/40?

23. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    We have Tim Howard, we don't need Friedel. Plus Tim is comfortable with the guys that make up our back-line now, Friedel hasn't played with any of them (except for Cherundolo). We all love Friedel but give Howard some props... he is the best EPL goalkeeper headed to South Africa (Friedel and Van der Saar are retired Given didn't qualify).

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Friedel would probably try to set up shop in England's goal if he was there.

25. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were Bob I would at least give Friedel a call to see what's on his mind. He is playing a notch better than Howard at the moment which is saying a lot because aside from Timmy's mistake yesterday he's doing very well.