Can We Beat Brazil?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by bobarino, Jun 30, 2005.

1. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think anyone would disagree with your notion that WC 06 is Brazil's to lose. I, on the other hand, am from the school of thought that believes WC 06 is ours for the taking.

FORZA AZZURRI SEMPRE!!!

2. jcmartins

jcmartins BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    Forza Italia I hope you know hoe to loose.... Wai wait.. they oughta have learned by now, after 70 and 94

3. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Italy should be more worried about the Denmark's, Sweden's & Korea's of the world before they think about what Brazil is doing. Perhaps Italy can beat Brazil, but I've sensed in their past 2 major International competitions they've arrived as if they'd already be fitted to meet some powerhouse in the finals, and have overlooked the immediate opposition beforehand. Like France and Argentina on the eve of WC02. Eliminate whoever you're facing and THEN concentrate on who you'll face next.

4. jcmartins

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    Amen.....

5. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Check our Italy v Ireland and Italy v Scotland forums. We took the Ireland friendly very serious and got a good result. We are concentrating on one match at a time. ;)

6. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For you guys, perhaps 1982 was not enough...there's plenty more where that came from. ;)

7. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    But we forgot in '82 against your best ever team. LOL!

8. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina

I'll give you 1970 but 1994?!? Baggio was hurt and most of our defense was hurt or suspended, we still had the best scoring chance in the entire game and you "won" on penalty kicks? Are you kidding me?

9. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Italy will beat brazil worst case senario will be a draw!!!

10. jcmartins

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    I never said we won beautifully, all I said is we won.... And From where I come from when it comes to bragging all that matters is who took home the trophy.

11. jcmartins

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    If they can get to the semis

12. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree, if Brazil can get to the semis...

13. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Better hope Rossi has a son. ;)

14. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Well aside from Mr Italian every Azzuri fan here seems content about what they're going to do vs. Brazil and not about the other 30 teams in the WC. You think Argentina, Netherlands or Sweden will be a pushover?

Oh no in your success starved rants you're mainly fixated on trophy laden Brazil. Even France have defeated you the past 2 times you've met in a tournament, ironically in 2 of the most cruelest fashions to lose a match. France has been more of a detriment to Italy than Brazil has. You guys just seem envious to me.

Funny while you guys gloat about what you achieved in 1982, even lesser footballing nations like Greece and Denmark have claimed trophies while you've came away with nothing. Not even mentioning Brazil making 3 WC finals in a row and winning two. Are you guys content with clinging on to 1982 for the rest of your lives while the Azzuri gets sent packing by the likes of S.Korea?

I'd like to think you guys would've learned from your past couple debacles (EURO 04 & WC 02), you'd have ridded yourselves of this arrogant attitude towards your immediate opposition. Sadly I've been mistaken.

15. jcmartins

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    Definitive answer to the question:

NO

16. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Sorry, but the original poster posed the question about Brazil, so the discussion has been about BRAZIL. Ask the question about every other team in the world, and the answer is Yes, Italy can beat any team (not that it WILL happen, that it CAN happen - there's a big difference). The question being discussed is, even if Italy plays a great game, CAN they beat Brazil. And the answer, IMO, is sure, but only if Brazil is not on top form.

17. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As SueB pointed out, the whole point of this thread is whether or not Italy can beat Brazil. To discuss other nations and issues, there are other threads, which is why this is a forum. To judge and critique Italian fans based on this thread is...well, ignorant at best.

18. jcmartins

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    The answer is no then.....

19. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is there an echo in here? :rolleyes:

20. jcmartins

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    Is there an echo in here?

21. jcmartins

Jul 22, 2005
    United States
    just kidding :D

22. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This thread is asking a legitimate question.

It's not that the Azzurri (or that Azzurri fans) are
    ignoring smaller teams like Sweden and S. Korea--in
    fact, Lippi's policy of selecting only the best performers
    and most enthusiastic and discplined players, has brought
    much-needed humility to the squad--it's that, after two
    poor tournaments, we are asking ourselves if the Azzurri
    still have the class to beat a team of champions like Brazil.

And, needless to say, everyone here respects Brazil. But
    many of us do think Italy could give Brazil a match; with
    a great performance, even win it. Italy are historically even
    with Brazil (5 wins, 5 losses, 2 draws), have about 7-8 world
    class players, and now have a coach emphasizing attacking/
    possession-oriented soccer. We have also improved our mid-
    field, which was a huge weakness at the last World Cup.

So there is a case for optimism, and it's been expressed
    in this thread--not to say, please note, that countries like
    France or Argentina or even Sweden or Korea can be treated
    with a light attitude.

23. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Boot this idiot out of here.

From previous experience with the posters here, I would say that all of them are knowledgable and realistic about Italian football. Nearly everyone has said that we can beat Brazil, which is not a stretch at all. "Can" only denotes a possibility, and not a certainty. Would you argue that Italy in no way, shape or form could beat Brazil? :rolleyes:

Further, everyone here is aware of our failures over the last 23 years in international football, and that has taught us to be more cautious of the "smaller" teams in international football, and also that there may not even be anymore smaller teams, as we have seen that anyone can beat anyone else on any given day. Show me where anyone says that we will steamroll the competition.

You acuse us of being envious, but of whom. Since you like facts so much, there are only two footballing nations with better historical results that us: Brazil and Germany. Therefore, why would we have reason to be envious of anyone?

Further, where was anyone gloating about 1982? The Brazil fan brought up the times they have beat us in the WC, and we just rebutted with the time we beat their famous squad in 1982. Noone here is content to sit on previous WCs.

Do us a favor, and understand the thread before you post such nonsense, as it is obvious that you are more of an Italy-basher than anything else.

24. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We also beat Brazil in '38 . . . :D

25. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And along with the famous 1982, on 3 other occasions as well. :)

Of course, they've beaten us the same number of times, so we're even...