Can there ever be any more tournaments?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by cmedina1983, Jan 5, 2009.

1. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Every time there is a suggestion or concept of a new tournament, no matter how globally attuned or local it can be, the usual answer is that it is not possible to create because of a number of other tournaments (amongst other reasons).

This leads me to an important question:

Can there ever be any more tournaments?

Perhaps in weaker confederations, where football is not the most popular sport, it is a possibility, but what about in Europe or South America, even Asia?

With the length of football seasons around the globe and the number of international competitions even within a confederation, will there ever be a new, major competition or tournament for teams around the world (national or otherwise), to take part in?

2. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    I wouldn't rule it out, but it would need adjustments in the calendar. One possibility in Europe would be abolishing league cups who are not that popular, which would give us some new mid-week dates. Anotherone would be fixing an nt tournament rotation in summer, something like y1 ? y2 Continental Championship y3 Confed Cup y4 World Cup, which would make room for 1 additional tournament of up to a month that can take place every 4 years. However I don't think this will happen since I doubt that the continental championships would be okay with being played at the same time, because they wouldn't want to compete with each other for audience.

Another possibility is a club tournament that is okay with being a pre-season-preparation. There are 3 or 4 weeks available before the regular season starts in Europe, however the tournament would have to be financially rewarding enough to compete with playing friendlies in Asia & North America and at the same time it would have to be okay with its participants being early in the season and laying more importance on trying out players and getting their team tactics in order than actually winning. And a problem might arise because some teams already play Europa and Champions League qualification in that time, but I think that should be a minor hassle.

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think there should be another tournament in Europe for clubs below the UEFA Cup. The gap between the has and has-nots are getting wider. Europe needs to do something for the smaller clubs to generate more income.

4. Dbantx

Dbantx New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Yes, if people see money in something they'll make it happen. Were probably only a decade or so away from a genuine World Club tournament with lots of teams participating. It all depends how quick and convenient air travel becomes over the forthcoming years.