Can the Last Two WC Winners Survive Group C?

Discussion in 'Group C - Spain, Italy, Croatia, Ireland' started by GrimsbyGooner, Jun 5, 2012.

1. GrimsbyGooner

GrimsbyGooner Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Italy's been hit by injuries and such. Still see em as a very promising side. Nevermind that friendly vs. Russia.

Croatia have lost Olic.

Ireland no pushovers? Well, no. But they're about the easiest opponent to have in this tournament. Not that any are "easy". Trappatoni's gonna make sure they are well organised. But they don't seem to have many goals in em. And they have far and away the weakest squad on paper in this group.

3. jrober388

jrober388 New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Spain should progress easily because none of their opponents in this group have the calibre of athlete required to threaten them on the counter. Without speed and an effective counter, Spain can control the tempo of the game and wear opponents like this down until they can unlock them at the back.

Italy on the other hand are in tough. They're not playing well lately, and for a team who historically revolves around world class defense and winning tight games, they have no world class defenders on their roster. Without Cannavaro and Nesta holding the fort with Buffon at the back, they have a bunch of good but not great names now who don't keep anywhere close to as many clean sheets as they did in the past.

On top of that, they haven't been particularly good while attacking, and reports today suggest that they're going to tinker with their tactics to create some more offense by employing an untested 3-5-2 formation. To me, that wreaks of panic.

I'm not sure Croatia or Ireland have the firepower to actually knock off the Italians, but even if Italy do progress, I have a very hard time believing they'll get past the quarter final.

4. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain should be fine. I could see Ireland getting through with all draws however.

5. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    can anyone tell me what italy plans to do for offense. no goals vs russia and no goals vs the u.s. before that.

6. rafal89

rafal89 New Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Club:
    Wisla Kraków SSA
    Spain will advance.....Ireland need to show composure and toughness...

7. jrober388

jrober388 New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    One of the many reasons Italy are in trouble.

They're not as strong as they usually are at the back, and they lack firepower up front. Croatia and Ireland might not be good enough to threaten them, but the way Russia destroyed them in the second half of their most recent friendly is certainly a major cause for concern.

They're reportedly thinking about tinkering with their tactics and trying a 3-5-2 formation to provide some more firepower up front, but it's not something they've tried yet in a live game situation. To me, that wreaks of desperation.

8. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    they also went scoreless vs uruguay. so 0-3 in the last 3 friendlies and no goals scored.

9. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain would really have to screw up to lose this. I'm thinking Spain and Italy, but I'm hoping for Croatia and Ireland lol

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm jumping in a little late, but Italy let in two goals in Euro qualifying, just two. I'd say that's not too bad. That's a whole bunch of clean sheets. If Italy's notorious for one thing, it's taking friendliest a little too lackadaisical. When they enter games that matter, it's a different story.

jerrito repped this.
  11. gummy-bear83

gummy-bear83 Member

May 24, 2010
    Piombino, Tuscany.
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Spain won't agree with Croatia to getting a 2-2 draw. The situation is different from what happened in Euro 2004. Denmark and Sweden were two northern European friend countries which had the opportunity to reach together the QF. Spaniards have a winning mentality. Look at how much they enjoy playing and scoring goals. Italy must only focus on getting three points vs Ireland. Let's think positive!

12. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah there is no way Spain will just sit on a draw. Torres is going to want to get as much momentum as possible going into the quarter finals. I expect another double out of him.

And the team is comprised of a lot of Barca and Madrid players. Since when have either team been happy with a low scoring draw?

13. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would hope and believe that Spain and Croatia will both push for the win, but I would not put a 1-1 draw out of the question. Spain scores 1-0 and Croatia equalizes late on a set piece or counterattack. This would prove devastating to Italy if they have not accumulated 3 goals against Ireland (which looks unlikely).

14. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    At the end of the day the last two WC Champs move onto the KO round.

Aupa Espanha y La Furia Roja!!