Can Iran Win The Asian Cup Championship?

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Bauvafa, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    Well, the 3 time Asian Cup Champions still have the fire burning but as recent history shows, a very unpredictable team!
    It all depends on Iran's team and its decipline, its unparalleled talent in Asia can walk all over any Asian team as demonstrated in Busan 2002 (Asian games).
    Will Iran get its act together and win the Championship for the fourth time?

2. poker123

poker123 New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    hahahaha.

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It will depend on the teams they sent in Asian Cup. It will also depend how well they play defensively. Iran tended to collapse in critical moment.

4. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Iran plays pretty football but needs to learn how to be a victorious team.

5. MASHSAEED

MASHSAEED Red Card

Dec 16, 1999
    los angeles
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    YES WE WILL

i am not saying this beacause i am iranian..iran has a lot of talented players and we will hire a new coach for the ac04. if we send our A team we will win it all.we play to the level of our opponents..korea has only beateing us 1 time 2-1 in lobnon00 and that was on a last second goal.japan has not beat us in a long time.we killed korea and japan in pusan to show asia we still the king. i respect the korean and japan team by spending huge a mpount of money on thier team but they have not goteen good result against us...we out classed the japan in busan or pusan wth u call it..
    iran with this team will destroy any eastern asian teams
    mirzapour
    razai
    peyrovani
    nosrati
    minavand
    nikbakht
    mahdavikia
    nekounam
    karimi
    azizi
    daie
    KOREA HAS ONLY SPEED AND NO TECHNICS..JAPAN HAS BOTH AND IRAN WILL PUT BOTH OF THEM IN THEIR PAYKAN AND TAKE EM BEHINDE THE CHINA WALL......IRAN 2 JAPAN 1..IRAN 2 KOREA 0..WHEN WE PLAY THEN IN CHINA

6. Anaheim

Anaheim Member

Oct 2, 2001
    New Zealand
    HAHAHAHAHA

You are the funniest guy ever.

Whoop-dee-do, Iran beat Korea who fielded a *@#*@#*@#*@#*@#*@# team and had just hired a new coach. How proud you must feel.

I wouldn't have minded if you said Korea can't finish, but to say that Korea ONLY has speed? If I remeber correctly, didn't the sub-par Korean team sh!t all over Iran in terms of... well everything... except goals? (As I admitted, Korea can't finish)

Korea has only recently (preparing for WC2002) started spending money on soccer. I can prove it, go to Korea and see if you can find a public grass pitch.

7. Saudi Bill

Saudi Bill New Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Bauvafa Iran CAN win it like any other good team in asia.
    That was not so hard to answer... just like the other thread CAN Japan win the asain cup. Some one post CAN korea win the asain cup thread and get it over with.

8. Sukhwa

Sukhwa Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Korea
    Iran held Korea to a draw. They beat us on penalties. I'm sure our team won't make the same mistake twice should we meet Iran again.

9. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    Well, Iran did have enough skills, technics, and speed to go directly to their couch to watch WC 2002 on TV. I do respect Iranian soccer but these morons who talk about their team as the best in Asia are waaaaaaaaaaay off. Come on Saudi's finished ahead of you in qualifying. Who know's if Iran made it to WC 2002, they might have lost 10-0 to Germany instead of 8-0 like the Saudis.

10. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    It's funny to see how cocky some Koreans have gotten over the WC2002. Let's not forget that before WC2002, Korea was an easy 3 points for all its oponents. If it wasn't the home field advantage & Refs blessings, the trend would have continued ;)

Let's see what you got, AC is coming and then WC06 qualies.

11. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

...yeah... thats true. we were only easy 3 points. ask spain about it.

i didnt really want to say this but... i have no idea where iraninas self confidence come from. i half understand hamatachi rambling about japan being the best. no saudi or chinese say they are the best... but iran?? team that lost to bahrain?? always claiming that they have the best potential and talent?? can you guys actually name one east asian player that hasnt played in the national team? no doubt iran is good and has lots of talent, but it is kind of annoying when a team that failed to directly qualify for the world cup in over a decade to not just say they are the best, but also discount the country that actually allowed asia to get 4.5 tickets as "only speed."

the first post is ok... it say iran's good and that iran will win. no problem with that. but third post... you can feel that he has pointless inferiority complex. he wants to put down the korean team.

yes... korea may not have had a good result against iran. But let me tell you frankly;

Korea is better than Iran, looking at the performance in the past 10 years. Only thing you can talk about is the "potential" and the wonderful "techniques." and the "world class" players who will surely help iran prove that they are the best "next time."

stop rambling about how much korea sucks and start proving that you are one of the 4 best teams in Asia.

12. Sukhwa

Sukhwa Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Korea
    I hold my head in shame. It's puzzling how you Iranian folks managed to remain humble after AG 2002. I mean, the undeniable significance of AG in deciding which country in Asia is the best needs no mention. Go Iran! :)

13. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    sorry for being a bit emotional about my previous post, but i've about had it with korean soccer team bashing... anyway my prediction:

If Iran wins the AC, they wont qualify to the WC.

If Iran screws up in AC they will qualfiy to the WC.

14. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    I am not bashing Korea or any other team. I admire Korea for its WC2002 acheivements but I also look at the longer period of football in Asia.

anyway, what's your logic for the above prediction?
    what's the reason for the flip-flop prediction?

15. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Added to that, S.Korea's U23 team hired their coach 1 month before the tournament. To make things even worse, the entire team first got together about 3 weeks before the tournament.

On the other hand, Iran's Asian Games squad had been practicing for the Asian Games for almost a year. They've been playing most A-matches with their AG squad under Ivankovic.

But hey, nobody can blame their preperation. They deserved what they got considering how much effort they put into that tournament which Japan and China even sent an U-21 team. For God's sakes they even sent their "legend" Ali Daei! :D

16. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    ask Spain, Bulgaria, Belgium and Germany about that. ;)

Klinsmann said that was the toughest game he ever had.

17. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    again, to answer the question of the thread, yes Iran CAN win it. Not that likely, but they surely CAN.

18. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Re: YES WE WILL

the myth that always seem to go around Iranians is that they think Japan and Korea are the same in terms of investment. It's just like saying Saudi Arabia and Iran are the same in terms of investing on football. :D

19. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

i dont think u bashed korea at all. i really dont mind it when you say irans the best and will beat everybody.

but lets look at the "longer period" of 10 years... even looking at the past 10 years, korea deserves to be the contender for number one spot.

20. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    sure, Korea is definitely one of the contenders. but you didn't answer me. what's your reason for that flip-flop prediction?

21. Bauvafa

Bauvafa Red Card

Oct 12, 2001
    USA
    Re: Re: YES WE WILL

excuse me? myth!!!
    how many stadiums did you build/renovate for WC2002?

22. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I think Junjun's reason is based on consistancy Iran's shown on internationally. On one day, they can play great as they showed in world cup 98 and Asian cup 2000 (Korea was lucky to win that game I admit, Iran had better of that game up until right at the end), but on another day they can lose to teams such as Bahrain and fail to qualify for the world cup.

However, I think it's pretty much the same story with any asian team. Korea and Japan both had an amazing world cup run, but right now both teams are struggling with new coachs.

23. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    hey what's happened with Ahn recently?

24. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are three teams that have great chances to win the tournament - Japan, South Korea, and Iran. End of story.

25. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

excuse me if i'm wrong, but i feel like the biggest problem with iranian team is their attitude and mentality. If most iranian players think like iranians around here- that they have the best talent and they'll win it "next time"- then they'll get their butt kicked badly. K19 summed it up pretty much.

The question is, did the Iranian team learn its lesson or not from the 02 WC qualifying.

If Iran screws up in AC, they'll realize that it takes more than potential to get to where they want to. However, if Iran wins the AC, they'll probably go back on their old thinking... that they were right; the best potentials in asia started to blossom and from now on, will rule asia.