can Copa America totally replaced by World Cup South American qualifiers?

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by w-inds., Jul 15, 2006.

1. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The only thing that aggravates me is that Mexico and USA wanna barge in on our competitions but dont wanna try and qualify from our region. Pretty luxurious to play in our competitions but still have an easy qualification route dont you think?

I'm all up for them playing our competitions, but only if they try to qualify with us also

2. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mexico and USA would qualify from Conmebol once in awhile but not everytime, to say they would always qualify is ridiculous, but to say they would never qualify is also ridiculous... i think Mexico would fair better then USA in Conmebol and would qualify more then USA.. they match better vs Conmebol teams and play better then USA in tough competitions.

And no US fans just because you beat our youth teams in friendlies doesnt mean you would always do well in our qualifiers, because playing an Uruguay random selection in a friendly in Ohio is completly different then playing a full Uruguay team with Forlan and co in a hostile crowd in Montevideo and playing a Colombian U-20 team in a friendly in Seattle is very different then playing a full strenght Colombia in the terrible heat of Barranquilla when it actually matters.

3. el crack

el crack New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    CF
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Amen to the brother

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Don't worry about the US wanting to be in your tournament. The US continually refuses your invitations! It is the CONMEBOL that wants the US in Copa America, not the US.:rolleyes:

5. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

where did you hear this? what are you goign by?? Id like to see USA come and play Bolivia in La Paz, what happend last time Bolivia played in the US???

i believe it was 2 - 0 Bolivia. I am not saying tha Bolivia will be able to be the US everytime they play, I am just saying that in no way i believe that the US is far better off then Bolivia. Maybe you haven't been up to date on Bolivian players as I am with the Americans. Venezuela is also a strong team, they have beaten and upset many SA teams in qualifying. I would dare say that if CONMEBOL/CONCACAF merge the US would have to winning every home game to get a chance to qualify because they will not get any away points, do you know how difficult it is to play in brasil, argentina, bolivia, ecuador, paraguay and the rest in their own territory???

maybe beating mexico a couple of times has gotten you to think the US has gotten better, maybe its time to come back down a lil.

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    This is getting ridiculous. Now you are coming in saying that Venezuela and Bolivia are better than the US also. I mentioned those 2 teams in a response to jlscrub who says that the US would place 8th or 9th in a combined CONCACAF-CONMEBOL. I thought that was hilarious. You have taken it one step further. You apparently think that the US is worse than every team in CONMEBOL.

In answer to your question about how Bolivia and the US did the last time they played, your belief is incorrect. It was 0-0 in January of 1999. That was following the US meltdown in the 1998 WC and is probably of very little significance in determining relative team strength.

You make it sound like it is impossible for the US to win a game in SA. It has been quite some time, but the US has played games in SA before. Was it in WC qualifying? No. It was in Copa America and the US did not do so poorly. Are games in WC qualifying going to be more difficult. Yes. However, I find your assertion that against all 10 CONMEBOL members, the US would be unable to even gain a single draw when playing in SA extremely hard to believe. I would get some incredible odds against that at any reputable sports book.

7. jlscrub

jlscrub New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Toronto
    you have fallen off track...I think that USA (maybe not Mexico) would surely finish 8th or 9th...Thats my opinion, your opinion is much different...there's not much we can do to unravel the stalemate...

But you are not answering the real question which leads me to beleive that my message hit home...

You DO NOT understand how DIFFICULT conmebol qualifying is...I stated,you have to know the history to realize this...The USNT and their fans are to young...so either your being stubborn or you are naive...I already handed you the fact that USNT could win some games at home, but I would not be surprised if they came away with ZERO points from their away games...

To show that its not all hard feelings, the USNT I beleive has a major strength in their adaptability, so you guys would do better in the future.

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    What question? You never asked a question. My not answering your non-question does not imply anything.

You summed up the reason for me not making any reply to your post with this quote, "Thats my opinion, your opinion is much different...there's not much we can do to unravel the stalemate".

The post that you responded to was in reply to somebody else that seemed to think that your 8th or 9th place was too optimistic. I don't know where you are getting this track or line that I am supposed to be following or how my focus is off.

You state that it is a fact that the US could win some games at home. Well, it is also a fact that the US could win some games away.

I am fully aware that in SA the fans are right up on the field and that they yell and scream all game long and throw streamers all over the field as well as other things that are not so soft at the opponents and that these games will be played in high humidity and heat and in some places at high altitudes. I by no means expect the games in SA to be cake walks. They would be very difficult. I just don't see how you can say that the US would basically not even be able to compete.

9. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    USA would get humped in conmebol qualifying.

10. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The US would have to depend on home games, i doubt they would win a single away game in Conmebol.. maybe get a draw or two once in awhile.

11. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    STFU!:mad:

12. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I said in La Paz where Bolivia plays all their qualifying games, that game was played in Santa Cruz de la Sierra.

Dont think that the USMNT can walk all over Bolivia, Venezuela or any other SA team. Why dont you try lobbying for the USMNT to participate in Copa America maybe then youll get your answer questioned, better yet Lobby for confacaf so they can give US (SA) 3 extra spots, because the way i see it Mexico would be the only CONCACAF nation that will be taken seriously.

13. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    For once I have to agree with Leg breaker. (I can't say that it has been that often) US could end up outside the places need to get into the world cup. You could have a drought run like Australia and New Zealand had in the playoffs and not turn up to a number of World cups finals. You will find the playing conditions hard to adapt to. For an example, Boliva at high alitude is hard to beat on their own soil even for the Brazilian team, in fact Brazil has a bit of a history losing there more than they care to admit. Personally, I see SA team adapting to US grounds better than US adapting to SA grounds. Honesty, have the US played any of the SA first XI teams and not their reserves or juniors? You maybe treated seriously enough, but never as threating that Mexico would consistently be.

:cool:

Hang loose guys

14. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I thought that was a rather interesting comment myself. It almost seems like you are discarding games at will because "they don't determine relative team strength". Well, on that train of thought, every game is relative and I should probably discard all the games Chile played from 2000 to 2004 because we were suffering a "meltdown". How effing convenient. :rolleyes:

As if the US has ever played a World Cup caliber South American team... all you guys seems to play are our benches and our u-21 squads. You do not understand how powerful homefield advantage can be in South America... I'd be hard pressed to think this USA team capable of winning a single game as a visitor.

15. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    I thought it was precisely due to security concerns that the usmnt has balked out of the possibility of playing copa america (like in colombia, for instance)...

16. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    What's your definition of walk all over? Do I expect the US to go into Bolivia or Venezuela and blow out either of them? No. I think the US can win those games though.

Why do I need to lobby for the US to play in Copa America? Do you think that I can change the Federation's mind? The last time that the US played in Copa America, it finished 4th. Not too shabby!

How many times will the US have to beat Mexico until it sinks in that the US is better than Mexico? The US clinched the CONCACAF region with 2 games still unplayed. If Mexico was so much better, don't you think they would have won?

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Did I say something to make you angry? Profanity. Good retort.:rolleyes:

18. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Unfortunately, the most recent time that I can say for certain that the US has played the SA XI teams was in the 1994 WC. I don't know about the other games because I don't know who is on their first team. However, if they didn't send their 1st team to the 1994 WC, that is their fault. Any team that you send to the WC is presumed to be your 1st team. In that cup, the US beat Columbia 2-1 and lost to Brazil 1-0.

I would bring up the 1995 Copa America, but I am certain that based on other posts that I have read on this thread, I will get posts from people saying that they only send their under 23 team to that. And that makes me wonder why they also say that it is such a prestigious tournament.

19. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    So true. dead last in the standings.

20. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Pretty much sums it up.

21. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ouch... you know how to hit Colombians where it hurts bringing back WC 1994. Let's not forget the 2nd goal was scored by the late Andres Escobar:(

Anyhow, again, you WERE PLAYING AS HOSTS AS THE HOME TEAM... THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO!

Or did you not notice the difference in Korea and Japan's result in WC 06 vs WC 02?

That Colombian team should've still easily beat the US, but that's football for you....

22. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well, what can I say? All of our teams were conveniently having a meltdown. As a result, that 4th place by the USA is totally irrelevant as it didn't display their true level.

23. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Brasil cant even win in Bolivia, much less the US lol

24. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    As for the own goal, if you look at the replay, you see a US player ready to take that pass and put in the back of the net. Escobar was out of position and was lucky to get a foot on the ball. Unlucky for him, his touch went into the goal.

I did notice the difference in Korea's and Japan's result. That post was not supposed to be a slam against Columbia. I was simply stating that the only case I can find that even remotely recent that I know for certain that the US played CONMEBOL 1st team members was in that WC. As you should have noticed, I started my post with "unfortunately". I said that because it was so long ago and it was in the US.

I was going to list the Copa America matches since they were in SA, but I knew that you or others would claim that the SA teams sent weak teams.

25. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    The meltdown itself had nothing to do with the US performance in the game the following January. What I meant by that statement was that the team was in reorganization. They had just hired a new coach and he was bringing up lots of young players and trying to find out what he had.

The irrelevant statement in addition to the above was also in respect to the fact that the game took place in 1999.