can concacaf compete against conmebol?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Pottermaniac, Dec 19, 2005.

1. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I agree about Mexico of course, but the rest of Concacaf? NO. Maybe Saprissa and Aluejense could hold their own for while. Perhaps the top MLS team at the right time of year, but that is about it.

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

Saprissa and Alajuela must have their own spots in the CCC, alajuela won it in 2004 vs Saprissa and Saprissa won it in 2005. But we should have 1 or 2 extra spots, not direct spots, but they should fight for those spots in preliminary rounds. i.e. Perez Zeledon finished 4th in the UNCAF tournament, losing in PK's with Saprissa, they finished on top of all the Guatemalan, Salvadorian and panamenian teams also over the other Honduran team, now they defeated Alajuela and qualified to the Apertura Final in the CR'n tournament so they have a chance to qualify for the 2006 UNCAF tournament and eventually to the 2007 CCC

Other good CR'n teams> Brujas, ~Heredia, Puntarenas

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just thinking out loud again...

4 groups of 4. Top two advance to home/home knockout stages. Single game final.
    MFL: 4
    MLS: 3
    CR: 3
    Prelim winners: 6

Home and home prelims
    MFL: 2
    MLS: 1
    CR: 1
    Other Central American leagues: 4
    Carribean leagues: 3
    Canadian representative: 1

I'd watch it.

5. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    This is a good idea...now let me ask this..would it be a smart move to invite...maybe a club or 2 from SouthAmerica ?..The way that they invite the Mexican Clubs to the Libertadores..or Mls clubs to the Sudamericana
    >? thoughts ?

6. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Saprissa and Alajuela are very good teams but the rest of the CR league is crap. CR is the Scotland of CONCACAF.

7. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I doubt they would wanna pick our tournament over Copa Libertadores unless its a top club that failed to make it. aka Boca

Im sure if the prize money is hefty they would consider it though.

8. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Boca is the one that didn't make it for 2006. I like this idea, but I think that having invitees is not a good idea. How awesome would it be to have the champs of Libertadores and this tournament meet at the end of the year, kinda like the old intercontinetal cup. That would give the true champion of the Americas.

9. changoguapo

changoguapo New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Bakersfield, Cali.
    Refer back to my first post, this is just talk among average people who dont stand to make millions out of this and yet already giving the disadvantage to non-US and Mexico teams. This tournament will never work, unless they come to the conclusion that money is not important or some kind of revenue sharing by the top money makers to the rest, which wont happen.
    P.S. To say MLS deserves more than CRL is absurd. Next thing youll compare San Jose (or ex San Jose now) and LA Galaxy rivalry just as good as Alajualense/Saprissa rivalry

10. General Manager

Dec 23, 1998

I never claimed that MLS deserved more spots than CRL. As a matter a fact I said have has an arguement on that. What I did claim was most sponsers would want the US market to be well represent. There are simply far more people and a larger per capita in this country than in costa rica so sponsers would want there to be a good number of MLS clubs do I think its fair NO. But
    Sponsers want there money to go far. I'll give you an example Dc United was invited into the Copa Sudamerica over Alajualense and over some mexican teams. Why? because Dc plays in the United states and Conmebol covets the market. Its pure economics and to claim that this tournament shouldn't be about the money is naive EVERY club tourney is done for the money now.

11. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    I know that in the past the "pre-Liberatores" tournament was fairly well-promoted and well-sponsored in the USA. Univision would televise the matches, and companies like McDonald's would sponsor the tournament. I recall matches being played in places like LA, Houston and Dallas. Of course, the pre-Liberatores tournament was ready-made for the USA since the participating teams generally had strong local followings (typically clubs like America, Chivas, Cruz Azul, Monterrey).

Perhaps similar success would be possible for a CONCACAF club tournament. I think Mexican clubs would need to get a significant representation to make it profitable. Also, it would help if they didn't play reserve teams, but the pre-Liberatores had a nice prize (a place in the Copa Liberatores) and some of the teams didn't take it very seriously. Perhaps the World Club Cup can become a strong enough incentive, but I'm not sure.

From a competitive standpoint, it would be nice to have a more equal participation by clubs outside of Mexico, but for now, I think they need to focus on making the tournament profitable. Maybe the "smaller clubs" could earn a few places in the final phase of the tournament through a qualification round. The profits from the well-attended matches could help pay for the travel expenses for sending teams from Trinidad and Jamaica to El Salvador and vice versa.

12. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    teh question is can concacaf compete in the sense of organizing a good competitive tournament.

13. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    changed ur sn so no one knows your name is david

og davidpotter???? :D

14. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    pottermaniac sounds cooler ;)

15. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I like this one...kinda like the winner of the champions cup against the libertadores winners.

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No. CONMEBOL wanted to invite Saprissa... (not Alajuelense)

CONCACAF then intervened with the objection that Saprissa already had a reward with the Club World Championship.

17. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the 4th best Costa Rican team is better than the 4th best MLS team. :rolleyes:

18. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for knocking some sense into him. Sending DCU was the logical choice. No Conspiracy theories about money and market. Any good MLS team in season form can compete with any other club.

19. General Manager

Dec 23, 1998

I know that but since Conmebol had an CHOICE of any team in concacaf. And they chose DC United. If you look at the results of the CCC the more logical choice would have been KC. But since DC has more championships and international success they are chosen over KC. but going back to my point it was Conmebol's choice to invite DC after they couldn't get Saprissa. I just wish they had invited NE or SJ, at the time since they would have represented MLS better.

20. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    well no one knows....cause they haven't played, teams like PerezZeledon, Brujas, cartago, heredia and Puntarenas are able to give a good fight to MLS teams.

21. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

Saprissa got an official invitation from CONMEBOL (nice piece of paper), i really wanted to see Saprissa in the sudamericana, hopefully they invite us again next year.

22. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    What international success has dc united had ?

23. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have won the Concacaf Champions Cup, and InterAmerican Cup in 1998.

24. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    ahhh yes the Interamericana...what ever happend to that tournament ?

25. General Manager

Dec 23, 1998

Its a cup that NO ONE really gives a crap about. If this new CCC happens I would like to see a new Interamericas cup. It would be nice to see the club champions of Concacaf play the club champions of Conmebol. maybe make it a home and home affair.