Can Christianity Be Proven?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by verybdog, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Read this and make comments.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United FC USOpenCup Champions
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That link has little to do with establishing a factual basis for Christianity, and more to do with establishing a factual basis for the existence of a higher or supreme power. The jump from "there's something bigger than us that affects our existence" to "therefore, Christianity is truth and its texts factual" is a looooong one.

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put.

4. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I could eat alphabet soup and crap a better article.

His whole argument is built on, and collapses with, this premise:

Anyone who wants to deny the existence of Almighty God has to provide an answer to one supreme question: Where did the universe come from?

First of all, why can't Jews, Muslims, and other believers in non-Christian deities ask this question as a defense of their own faith?

Secondly, I have a feeling this guy doesn't understand Stephen Hawking anymore than I do, so why can't I just answer his question along the lines of "Big Bang, baby," and disprove Christianity there and then?

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Without reading the link, I gotta say, the idea of "proving" Christianity or any religion is simply bullpoopoo. The whole idea of religion, beyond social control, is to offer a way to explain the unexplainable. See, if you "prove" religion, you end up removing its infinite nature and limiting its scope, and it can no longer offer explanations where science or logic fail.

Also, what Auriaprottu said.

6. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    The "I don't know" answer is an honest answer from a scientist - he really doesn't know at this point in time. That's exactly what distinguishing a scientist from an evangelist: there's no answer, but I'll continue to look for it.

For a scientist, the answer is "I don't know" because there's not evidence of 100% and question still needs to be researched and answered; for an enaglist, some other scientists' words are good enough for his leap of faith.

In the end, the author did not prove Christianity, but did prove his faith.

7. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear God:

Can you send verydog a letter explaining Christianity and the afterlife; also tell him a bit about faith and belief?

Regards,

IntheNet

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he professed his faith. He doesn't need to prove it to us.

Anyway, you can't answer the question "can christianity be proven" until you define what "christianity" means. And good luck with that. Because I've had born-again types tell me that Catholics aren't actually christian.

9. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Sorry, I'm a little busy right now - war, genocide, poverty and whatnot. You're on your own, buddy.

11. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Actually, he was doubting his faith at the beginning of his article. Then he struggled to delude himself in the middle and finally reached a conclusion in the end - by going to a new stage of denial.

Poor chap.

12. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they tell you that you were going to hell for worshipping statues? That one livens up the conversation quickly.

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foos and I are buds, I'm in like flint unless he catches me bopping his wife.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    You're all fools. When Ragnarok comes we'll see who's blood sacrifices to Odin are funny.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I got no quarrells with the Norse gods. I just wish Thor would be more careful with the thunderbolts. He gets absolutely diarrheatic some nights.

16. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even if you agree with the author and accept that God created the Universe, the question still remains: Where did God come from?

17. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, duh, Zeus is the offspring of Kronos.

18. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Belief in an Almighty satisfies a human urge to place faith in something. If God were to actually prove his existence to us, we'd probably tell him to take a flying leap.

19. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Excellent question!

20. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now cut that out you blasphemer!!!
    :rolleyes:

Everyone knows that Dennis Bergkamp is from Holland!!!

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I had a roomate in college who was one of the all-time funny, entertaining drinking, womanizing and generally Animal House worthy college students in history.

We said our good byes one spring for the summer break as I went back home, and he decided to stay for "summer school" because he was having too much fun.

When I came back in late August, I walked in and said "Goose, where's my beer. I've been back for 30 seconds and I'm parched. You've really slipped over the summer."

The legend I had left behind just three months earlier looked at me with a serene, almost labotomized look on his face, and calmly explained that he had a fantastic summer in which he had accepted Christ as his personal savior, and had been elected President of Campus Crusade for Christ.

For the next year, I would see him passing out leaflets on the sidewalk outside the Student Union telling all that they were going to hell, and then would come home in the evening where I would get the personal message that I couldn't hide behind being Catholic, and that I would be shut out at the pearly gates if I didn't do exactly as he said.

Long story short, yes. Yes, we had some interesting "discussions."

22. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did your "discussions" involve any neck punches? Just tell him that you're starting to believe in the whole "laying on of hands" thing.

23. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Actually, after a few weeks, when it was clear to him that he would fail in his efforts, and that I was consigned to the flames of hell for eternity, there ended up being long periods of uncomfortable silence.

Just for giggles, I would occasionally taunt him with comments like "check out the rack on this one" while offering him a magazine. "Come on, you know you want to." :D

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Binghamton, NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A close friend of mine is one of those born again Christians, he told me I'm going to hell because I'm Catholic and haven't properly accepted Jesus. I asked him how his religion is better than mine, he didn't have an answer.

25. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you know he did as soon as you left the room.