Can big Euro Clubs survive a MLS or traditional American Sports Format?? (Regular season+Playoffs)..

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DCUdiplomat96, Nov 30, 2008.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can big Euro Clubs survive a MLS or traditional American Sports Format?? (Regular season+Playoffs= Champions???....

Can a Manchester U or Barcelona or AC Milan can consistanly win thier league if it was organized similar to MLS or a Major pro sports leagues here in the US?

2. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: Can big Euro Clubs survive a MLS or traditional American Sports Format?? (Regular season+Playoff

There would undoubtedly be far more playoff chokes.

3. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Can big Euro Clubs survive a MLS or traditional American Sports Format?? (Regular season+Playoff

In a cap system they'd do just as well as anyone does in MLS, FMF or any other similar league.

4. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i think looking at the premiership teams (england) I think Arsenal, liverpool, and Spurs. would have won Championships Under a american system. .... Chelsea and Man U are too Built for the regular season they rely too much on their starters(first XI) even with a rotation system like chelsea kinda had under Mourinho. I think His teams in 2005 and 2006 would probably Mirror DCU in 2006 and 2007 season, where they have dominated the regular season but ran outta gas towards the post season.. i also belive their Home advantage is overrated..... Why I beleive Arsenal would do well cause they seem to be one of those teams to not make the same mistakes twice.you could probably look at them kinda like the Dynamo or Philly Eagles during thieir Playoff Runs, they always seem to be missing a piece.

5. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thinking about cap i dont think Man U and Chelsea could sustain Rosters Like they been having, even If they are the Yankees 200 million dollar chokers.

6. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even if a hypothetical EPL salary cap was high for everybody, because of all the money in the league, the "elite clubs" would still pull their hair out if you screwed with their sense of entitlement to have any player they want.

Which I think would translate to the "big 4" losing more often than the other clubs, because they haven't learned how to do more from less.

7. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I'd presume that the question simply asks about a change in format not the implemenation of a salary cap. If that's the case and the FA Cup is anything to go by then considering that Portsmouth's win was the first time in over a decade that someone from outside the current big 4 had won the tournament - which is arguably MORE random - then I'd suggest that the big 4 would still have no problem winning the lion's share of American style championships.

Two things you would see though:

1) More different teams in contention towards the end of the season. The FA Cup Final has featured Southampton, West Ham, and even Cardiff and MILLWALL(!) in recent years. So, it's not hard to see the Villas, Evertons, Spurses and such making the Finals after competing with the Boltons, Boros, and West Hams for the other play-off spots. Most of the time they'd still not win though.

2) A more exciting mid-table as teams struggle for the final play-off spots, particularly if the play-off was the MLS format with 8 teams, but a totally insipid and boring top of the table because it's nearly impossible to imagine the current big 4 not finishing in the top 8. You'd basically have something that resembles the NBA regular season where the best teams know they can coast for most of the season and you would regularly see first team players being rested in league play for the clubs competing in Europe.

Would it be worth it? Maybe, but for reason's of tradition it's probably untenable. It could have happened when the Prem broke away but it's hard to see the big 4 going for it now.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The MLS format is very close to that of the Champions League. So it would look the same as a CL campaign.

9. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MLS is nothing like champions league

10. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]