Campeonato Europeu 2020 J4 Bélgica - Portugal

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Jun 25, 2021.

?

Resulto

1. Vitoria

84.6%
  2. Empate

7.7%
  3. Derrota

7.7%
  1. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    We can’t use JJ. Only allowed to field Portuguese players LOL

2. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This game is 100% on Fernando Santos. The conservative, cautious approach of playing not to lose instead of playing to win is at the heart of this loss, all it takes is a shot like that to upend your entire game plan that rests on a knife edge. Patricio should have saved it, ya it swerved but it was practically right down the middle of the net. Belgium defended deeper than they usually did as they were worried about chasing our attackers in the channels and having to turn, and pumping balls into the box at height was never the answer. We needed to swiftly combine and pass the ball on the ground to create openings, the few times we did we really cut them open and led to opportunities.

Felix or Bruno Fernandes needed to start, and Bernardo was isolated and alone on the right with Dalot offering practically nothing...complete travesty he was playing instead of Semedo ( who atleast played well vs France and was on the bench) as the right side was awful. Cancelo a big loss here. Atleast with such an attacking fullback that has pace to burn it would allow Bernardo to drift inside, here it was as if he had a magnet on his ass that kept him along the touchline.

Jota missed two sitters, shocking misses as he was so clinical for most of the season. Both should have been completely buried. Dias headed right at the keeper, usually he's clinical with those...Gurreiro's shot was unlucky. Felix should have done better with this.

We should have attacked them from the start, Bernardo should have started central with Felix on, played Bruno Fernandes in a match of this magnitude as the space in midfield for him was ideal and he can really put defenses under pressure with swift through balls or moves.

Now he goes out and says the we must win the World Cup, unbelievable. We never will win it with you at the helm, with the players we have available we should play far more positively, and far better soccer. It's your job to put the pieces together, and clearly he can't as he only knows how to play one way: A cautious approach not to lose and rely on individual brilliance. A lot of these lacklustre individual peformances from some key players who were great for top teams rests on his shoulders, he does not play them in their best positions and can't find a way to really form a great team.

He won't leave, but he should.

The Special One repped this.
  3. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    He would speed up citizenship:D

JoseEmidio, The Special One and eurodad repped this.
  4. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pepe is a monster. He is still going to be this teams starting CB at 40.

He can and he will.

BatatasFritas, JoseEmidio and Lisboa<3 repped this.
  5. Lisboa<3

Lisboa<3 Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Time will ease my pain! :-(

6. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So why didn't boring santos play pedro goncalves, who is exactly what we need. Or guedes.

My problem is the wing positions, our greatest strength, yet we play players who don't contribute or create that much.

Attacking futebol should be our mindset... This game was dull to watch and Belgium weren't impressive, but unfortunately no tactical change.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  7. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #307 verde-rubro, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Subs should of been done at halftime why Waite 10 mins
    Chances fell to the wrong players, Ronaldo would of scored those chances that was created at least 1 of them for sure

JoseEmidio and portugamerifinn repped this.
  8. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    At the time I said the same thing: what was he expecting to happen in the opening 10 min., just pull the trigger at halftime.

Ronaldo spent too much time out on the periphery of the final third and I don't know why. Portugal would get into position to pass/cross it into the box and for some reason Ronaldo would be like 5 yards away and outside the box. That was weird.

JoseEmidio and verde-rubro repped this.
  9. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Pepe – 38 years and 121 days – became the oldest outfield player to start a EURO finals knockout match.

What a legend. He will be sorely missed when he's gone. Best NT defender in history and it's not even close.

10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes half time subs were needed, Guedes nor Gonçalves were utilised at all. Andre Silva was introduced but very few crosses, maybe we needed Rafas pace in the end.

Many asking for Santos to go but he will stay at least until next years WC.

Qualifing games in Setember and October, we will see who he uses. If Santos does not qualify us he might well quit. However I think we will qualify.

Too many bad performances from key players, Jota, Bruno, Bernardo and Dias to an extent. Second half one of the 3 above should of helped us at least draw in the game. English league kills all the players come tournaments they are all ********ed!

English league was the most important factor? Could well be!

11. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    R.Dias and Pepe were outstanding, and Dias can be our next Pepe. I was never high on him but this year he has been outstanding and if he continues then he will be the bedrock of our defense for many years to come. I am firmly in the bandwagon after this.

We don't have wingers to open the defense from the wings, they play with possession and so we had no width, that's why Ronaldo so often drifted wide. If we were to play like that might as well play with Ronaldo and A.Silva up top so that one can drift wide and not leave the box empty.

NewLaw83 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  12. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    From all wingers to no wingers.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  13. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    How crap does it feel when you wake up and go to work after a loss like this one.

I'm still upset, it's one thing to play bad an lose but it's another to play well and lose.

I still think Santos will be sacked

14. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    My uncle couldn’t sleep last night because of it. Dude is 70 years old haha

NewLaw83 repped this.
  15. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Haha yep. I'm only 43 but every tournament is harder on the nervos!

I'm kinda relieved I don't have to watch Portugal and stress out again for a while.

Why can't we just win some games without any drama?

16. Laaura

Laaura Member+

Apr 2, 2009
    Manchester
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Worst feeling is waking up in the morning remembering the loss and knowing there’s two weeks of football left without your team. No feeling like it.

Bacalhau, NewLaw83, JoseEmidio and 3 others repped this.
  17. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Ever since we won in 2016 I haven’t been taking these losses as seriously. I was at the game too so I feel like I can’t even complain when Portugal loses now. Losses like 2000, 2004, 2006 and 2012, before we won anything… those really, really sucked. I remember after the 2006 loss me and my dad leaving the house and just walking around the backyard and sighing and throwing up our hands in the air for a good few minutes.

Neighbors were probably concerned.

18. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    FS is the type of coach, not unlike Paulo Bento was doing, who will go for the same players he fells comfortable with independently of their current level of shape/performance. It took him 2 games and terrible defeat to understand that WC was the right pick for the job. He insisted in the same 3 forwards all 4 games, eventhough none of them had a decent game, including Ronaldo who other than PK and pushing the ball inside and empty goal did nothing. And created 0 chances. He was all too concerned in beating Ali Daei, a nobody in football, who build a record scoring goals to amateur teams like Uzbekistan, Thailand, Bangladesh, Mongolia.

Ramos77 repped this.
  19. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It ********ing sucks.

20. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That Semi final game against Wales felt so good. I miss that feeling.

benficafan3 and Joao Bibliotecario repped this.
  21. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Now I have to go to work Friday:(. My idea of a successful run is getting to the final four/semis/conference titles...c'mon, that's only two games. I still can't believe they had all those chances and didn't sink a single one.

I think it really sucks is when there's clear signs the team is moving backward, like after WC 2014. Been a longtime fan of some Boston teams who turned things around, so seeing the climb every tournament is at least interesting to me. I also am glad we don't have bandwagon fans, that gets old really fast.

I don't watch much club football, the international games are way more entertaining to me.

22. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Jota was awful this tournament, but lets not forget he's recovering from an injury and before that he was balling. I think he just needs some rest and recovery. Pedro Neto and Cancelo on the right flank are our best options.

I still believe with some recovery and on form, Bernardo and Bruno Fernandes is a must have on the team, players of this quality have to be played in the right spot.

Bruno and Bernardo (or Felix) need to play centrally and pass to the forwards, not on the wing. Bernardo/Felix should play more advanced as a #10 to also combine with Cr7 up top, while Bruno stays a bit deeper because he can attack and defend. A single DM to break up plays behind them (Palhinha/Danilo).

Guerreiro is good going forward but Nuno Mendes is the future I believe.

I'd like to see this in qualifying and going forward:

Patricio;
    Cancelo, Pepe, Dias, Mendes
    Palhinha
    Bruno, Bernardo
    Neto, CR7, Jota

23. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Seriously, no Renato? What?

The Special One and JoseEmidio repped this.
  24. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Since we already won and i got to experience it, losing doesn't bother me as much as it did in the past. We've done this. We have won all there is to win in Europe and it has all been done very recently. We are very privileged to get to experience what older generations of Portuguese did not.

The thing that is missing is a world cup, a star on our jersey. A EURO win and a Nations League win does not get us that.

What an opportunity Qatar is going to be for us. Our best opportunity since 2006.

NewLaw83 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  25. Lisboa<3

Lisboa<3 Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I am still not over the Euro 2004 final loss to Greece! Ronaldo was gutted then, and he was gutted last night! Anyway it is all history :(

I asked my Portuguese wife, could she not have been from German :thumbsdown: I was obviously joking, win or lose, I won't change my Portuguese queen for anyone :)

Bacalhau, NewLaw83 and JoseEmidio repped this.