Campeonato Europeu 2020 J3 Portugal - França

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Jun 12, 2021.

?

Resulto

1. Vitoria

40.0%
  2. Empate

30.0%
  3. Derrota

30.0%
  1. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    iu-1.jpeg

Puskás Arena - Budapeste - Hungria

23 - 06 - 2021 20h00 (Portugal)

3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  4. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I dont wanna see half the clowns who played last match. If it was up to me even Ronaldo should sit. But i know that will never happen so this is my proposed lineup

Patricio
    Dalot Pepe Dias Mendes
    Palhinha Bernardo
    Guedes Sanches Guerreiro
    Ronaldo

Guedes and Guerreiro better run their asses off to cover for the fullbacks. Dont wanna see a repeat of last match

5. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We're going to get smacked, but I'd go with something like this:

------------------------------------Patricio------------------------------------
    ----------------------Pepe-----------------------Dias------------------------
    Anyone------------------------------------------------------------------Nuno Mendes
    -------------------------Palhinha------------------------Sanches--------------
    -----------------------------------Bernardo/Fernandes-----------------------------------
    ---------------Bernardo/Jota-------------------Ronaldo----------------Felix---------------

Depends on the fitness of Nuno Mendes & Joao Felix

Fernandes plays his Manchester United role, but he looks very leggy so I might start Bernardo in the role he plays for City when De Bruyne is injured, which is where he has his best performances. If Bruno is dropped play Jota in his usual role.

Sanches is so much more mobile and will cover the fullbacks, Palhinha helping the CB's and also covering the fullbacks as he does for Sporting

No fear, a line up full of running and energy in the middle to pressure them and try and create. Get Felix to run at Digne all day.

Maybe a mobile 4-4-2 with Andre Silva-Ronaldo up front and a very fluid midfield of Palhinha-Sanches-Bernardo-Felix is another option:

-----------------------------Palhihinha-----------------------------
    -------Bernardo--------------------------------------------Sanches----
    ------------------------------Felix-------------------------------------------

Similar to what Rui Jorge plays, it can switch shape really quickly and /felix can pop out wide, Bernardo in the middle, Sanches coming inside or out etc.

6. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what Santos goes with Wednesday. He's likely been used to being a national darling of sorts and not overtly subject to criticism but he got embarrassed enough yesterday that he knows he has to change something. And it'll have to be drastic because it'll have to be an overhaul of the general system and strategy of the team. Drastic changes are usually best eased into and not done in important games against the reigning world champions but Germany's coach literally said they knew Portugal's system had holes to exploit and they did so emphatically for everyone to see.

Unless Santos is interested in getting fired Wednesday and losing his darling status but hopefully he's handed a copy of today's Record that basically lets him know he got outdone and embarrassed professionally yesterday.

7. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
  8. Lisboa<3

Lisboa<3 Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I don't have the balls to watch this match. Benzema, Pogba, Mbappe etc etc and that little shit Griezmann!

Bacalhau repped this.
  9. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It ********ing kills me that Santos staunchly refuses to play Guerreiro anywhere other than LB even though he's excellent going forward, has plenty of experience as a midfielder/wingback, and Mendes is better defensively. Yes, I am dying on this hill.

If Mendes is fit again for France he should start. You can't play defensively and start guys at RB and LB who struggle to contain their man.

Side note: I had to watch a match feed yesterday w/ a British announcer who spent the entire 90 minutes saying "Guerro" and "Hota"

JoseEmidio repped this.
  10. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    How about we grow some balls and play to win for a change ? You let good teams take runs at you and they will find a way to scour against you .

Bacalhau and parkben1 repped this.
  11. parkben1

parkben1 Member

Feb 18, 2006
    brooklyn
    I agree 100%, go out there with the mentality that they need 3 points. This team is not build to absorb pressure. This team is not the 2016 team and the 2021 team is an offensive team. They need to attack the French. I was not impress with the French defense against Hungary. Hungary attack looked dangerous yesterday. If these lose playing an attack style of soccer, I won’t be upset.

12. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Easy to understand the criticism directed towards Semedo. I believe the biggie issue is with the DM combo in William/Danilo more than Semedo. Look, Nelson isnt world class.. never has been.. never will be.. but, when youre constantly swarmed with 2/3 Germans and no help by means of the DM, youre probably going to get shit on. Thats what happened.

Not sure what was up with Bernardo being tired.

Not sure whats up with Santos refusal to start Renato.

I also dont believe you can just switch an entire system in the span of 3 days heading into a match v France in a game you MUST take points and think everything is going to be fine.

IMO - If healthy..

---------------------Patricio
    -Semedo---Pepe-------Dias----Mendes
    ---------------------Danilo
    --------------Sanches--Bruno
    --Bernardo------A.Silva--------Ronaldo

I would actually change more, but the above is already asking for too much. I would remove Bruno.. i dont know if hes a NT player. as wild as that may sound.

Ninho29 repped this.
  13. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    With our luck Rabiot will score

Lisboa<3 repped this.
  14. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How much does Renato Actually Defend?
    Most of his 'Defense' is attack. He is no Bernardo ( I am baised, but you tell Bernardo to punch Muller and he Will do it, that is why Pepe likes him, bad thing is that sometimes Pepe thinks he is JJ)

How much does Bruno Actually defend?
    Is Santos going to tell Bernardo to only defend 50% (Santos this is pure idiocy against Germany with Semedo and a slow duo of Danilo -Carvalho, Scolari thinking).

15. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Santos idea of drastic changes will just be playing Sergio Oliveira instead of William, and Renato instead of Bruno. I have a hunch Sergio will be starting this

16. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I can appreciate his aggressiveness and will to win, but he is possibly the least talented midfield player I recall being called up to a final tournament squad for Portugal.

17. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    #17 portugamerifinn, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    There are a couple good tweet threads about Portugal's defense (or lack thereof) against Germany. Here's one I can still find:

It's tough to fault Semedo for doing his job and having absolutely no help behind him from Bernardo, Renato or Rafa throughout the match.

18. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Billy Gilmour tests positive for Covid and will miss Scotland group decider, a bigger loss for Scotland than Cancelo for us?

Bacalhau repped this.
  19. Laaura

Laaura Member+

Apr 2, 2009
    Manchester
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A bit gutted to read this as a Scotland draw versus Croatia would have helped us. That’s a huge loss for Scotland

Bacalhau and JoseEmidio repped this.
  20. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Portugal vs France...defending champions you guys might go out in the group stages because it could happen. Especially if you guys lose to the French. A win would be enough to win the group and lock up 1st well depending on if Germany beats Hungary and then it comes down to goal difference. However, if you draw with France...you end up on 4 points but then would that be enough even to get into the Round of 16?

JoseEmidio repped this.
  22. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A draw is already enough to get through, if Scotland - Croatia is a draw and Poland lose or draw versus Sweden and Spain lose, we and all the 3rd placed teams with 3 points are through as there Will be two third placed teams who only have two points. (earlier I got it wrong).

23. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I keep hearing from others Fernando Santos stated in the press conf. that he intends on changing things up..

I personally havent gotten any exact quotes or links.

To what extend was he referring? if he left any clues..

24. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    You guys are wild, anyone who blames semedo for our problems hasn’t got a clue.
    -First goal, Danilos fault allowed the cross into the box.
    -Second goal Raphael doesn’t track Havertz and scores the own goal
    - Third goal Danilo & William allow muller to walk through them just outside the box
    - fourth goal Rafa doesn’t track the bloke standing next to him
    Again I’m not a Semedo fan, I think he’s very indecisive which made the situation worse but anyone who puts the blame on his shoulder hasn’t got a clue about defensive duties and appropriate positioning and clearly never played any football at a decent level.

NewLaw83 and BatatasFritas repped this.
  25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    My Portugal starting XI would look like this against France (4-4-2)

GK- Rui Patricio
    LB- Nuno Mendes
    CB- Diogo Dalot
    CB- Jose Fonte
    RB- Nelson Semedo
    CDM- Danilo
    LCM- Joao Moutinho
    RCM- Bernardo Silva
    CAM- Bruno Fernandes
    CF- Cristiano Ronaldo
    CF- Joao Felix