Campbell

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, Aug 12, 2007.

1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6936352.stm

Campbell told BBC 5live's Sportsweek: "If it comes I will take my chances.

"I have played a long time for my country. Of course I would love the chance to do it again. I will have to wait and see if it happens."

this is the type of player we need.
    Not jamie "pick me or im taking my ball home " carragher.

It was a disgrace that he was dropped in the first place..

2. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Perhaps.

But now McClaren wants to waste a cap in a friendly on a player who truthfully has no chance to play for England in a competitive match.

Giving Richards a run out as CB next to Rio would make more sense for my money.

This is the same type of garbage as consistently bringing in Wes Brown and Phil Neville. We know what they are, we know that they just aren't good enough to compete for a first team spot, and we know that there are other younger players waiting in the wings (Baines for example with Neville; Richards for Sol).

I thought McClaren was right to drop the older squad members who likely weren't going to be around in '08. The problem is that he just can't get the squad to play anything resembling decent football when he doesn't have Crouch to throw in and resort to the route one variety.

3. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd like to see Campbell there....He displays the pride and attitude it takes....Plus, he's got "skins on the wall", so to speak...

4. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Campbell and beckham.
    Two players who always give 110% every game.
    Mcsven was moronic enough to drop them both and throw salt on the wound by reviving phil nevilles career and continuing the blunders of the sven regime.

5. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Sol was robbed twice, when if the goals had stood, he would have been iconic for England and he would also, most certainly play in a competitive game with Terry, Ledley & Woodleg out and Carragher throwing his toys out of the pram...........:(

6. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    he had two huge goals chalked off by bent refs..

7. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    i would like to see sol make a comeback.

it looks like he's back to his normal self. he certainly wasn't all there toward the end of his final season at arsenal.

i always thought the sol/rio partnership was one of the best. i can't say mcclaren was wrong to drop him though because it's not like terry has flopped either.

and yes, if those goals by sol had gone through, he would be considered a legend.

8. Golden Generation

Golden Generation New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Totally agree with the sentiments on Sol. He has always displayed grit and determination for England and I look forward to seeing him with Rio in the middle again, even if it is only for a little while

9. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    it's ironic to me that all these cb's are injured because i believe this is england's deepest position. now, so many of them are injured and carragher's retired.

i do hope, though, that mcclaren gives steven taylor a callup and see how he can cope with at the senior level.

i agree that we've seen and we know what the likes of wes brown and phil neville can do. they are certainly serviceable and will be more than willing to do the job when asked.

but this is where i thought sven failed. he never took the friendlies as real opportunities to try the untested and give the youngsters/newbies a real chance. i think there's a balance you have to work out in friendlies: get your starters a chance to reacclimate with one another, formations, and give the newcomers a chance. i don't think sven or mcclaren have really done a good job of that.

10. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agree with all the sentiments.

Campbell was a giant for us in all the games he's played in.

Carragher hang your head in shame, if you can pull it out of your arse first.

11. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jamie Carragher is a legend. He's been immense for Liverpool for years, and tossers like Wes Brown still manage to get picked ahead of him. If I was Carra, I'd have done the same.

12. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agreed about Sol though. Should NEVER have been dropped in the first place. He is a warrior. Up there with THE best English defenders ever.

13. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    i might be in the minority here, and i apologize for going off topic, but i don't think carragher needs to be ashamed of anything.

i've rated carragher behind only rio and terry in england's cb pecking order. perhaps behind woodgate when healthy. but carragher's right in that if he wasn't going to start then, he's not going to start now. (of course now he's needed because a freaky string of injuries.)

if he was healthy and overlooked by not just ledley king, who was coming back from injury, at cb AND wes brown at rb, i think it's fair to say he's not going to get many looks.

i'm a man.utd fan, but i'll be the first to say that jamie carragher is nothing close to a bottler or a coward.

14. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not about whether or not he was gonna play... It's about pride. Even if Macca is brainless, you get asked to play for your Country, you step up. That's just the way I feel about it..

That said, I'd rather see Sol Campbell on the team in that position anyway. Always gives 110 percent, and he and Rio have played well together in the past..