News: Camp Cupcake - Post WC 2023 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eighteen Alpha, Nov 3, 2022.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I can't even imagine who would be called to a separate senior camp. Will we go to MLS backups?

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Dave Sarachan isn't available. He's currently under contract as the head coach of Puerto Rico.

He's busy recruiting dual-nationals away from us. At the youth levels they're doing a much better job of that recently.

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    W/ this in mind, he could end up alienating a lot of players, and harming the confidence of them, in a short time. We don't need that m.o. during a period that's going to feature a lot of impressionable youth.

FTR, I wasn't suggesting hiring Sarachan again, just using that as an analog. Whoever that is to USS now. It's not like Sarachans don't grow on trees, which was the point. They shouldn't be able to screw this up by doing something like hiring Hudson.

As far as Sarachan's coaching getting worse, you mean him becoming pragmatic to get results? It's not ideal, as these exercises should be used to get info about players. But I don't remember it being that bad, and I don't expect us to drag our feet as much this time around. If so, that's going to make it a disaster that Hudson has the job.

gogorath repped this.
  4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is who else are we even going to be calling up. Even if we call up Johnson, Yedlin, Moore, Zimmerman, Long, Roldan, Acosta, Arriola, Morris, and Ferreira that still leaves alot of gaps and the U20s aren't available to fill any of them.

gogorath repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We find a crew of players to call up every January camp.
    Yes, some of them may never play a meaningful game for the USMNT. But if you identify just one guy to move forward with, then its a worthwhile exercise. And by the way, we have a lot of depth at the U20 level. Some of those guys aren't going to get to the U20 camp. So bring them into the USMNT camp instead. Why the hell not?

I do think the World Cup guys are going to be given a break.
    But there are the "just missed" MLS guys that may be there. Arriola, Lletget, and those guys. There probably will be some players like that there. You do want some veteran leadership to show the guys what being a USMNTer is all about. I remember the first camps after WC elimination last cycle featured Ale Bedoya and the kids.

Mike03 repped this.
  6. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    For me, I might just narrow it down to Vazquez, Tolkin, and Pomykal as the guys I'm really interested in seeing. I feel like those three are young enough (or late bloomer enough in Vazquez's case) to still have a higher upside to go along with a higher baseline to potentially make a difference for the USMNT, even if just as quality backups. The other guys you list...I don't know. There might be some pleasant surprises, but I'm not counting on too much from them.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can always find enough domestic starters in MLS. There are almost 30 teams and 200 pool players.

And if there's overlap, the seniors should always take priority. There probably isn't much because of the weaker performance of youths this season. But Gutierrez could be an example of a guy who's accomplished enough and is of more use to the senior squad. Wiley may also qualify. Some like McGlynn, although I don't so much as a senior teamer because of his terrible d/range.

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think the U20 cuts making the senior camp is going to be confusing. You got promoted because you weren't good enough?

That said, if the timing works, I could see what happened last time. U20 camp is first and the very best players get promoted to the senior camp at the end.

xbhaskarx and gomichigan24 repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's more than that. Celentano definitely qualifies, for one.

As for the others, you can't necessarily count on them, but the more right calls you make on the borderline, the better chances you have of pleasant surprises.

Zimmerman became an afterthought. Turner was slept on by plenty because of his age. And even in the case of Miles, for so long he was slept on. I was among a small group beating that drum.

At least 2 of those guys would be useful this cycle. And historically, could a Geoff Cameron or Stu Holden have helped us on a team that projects to be as good as 2026's? I'd argue yes. Cameron could be a sufficient backup to Tyler, if nobody else breaks out between now and then (which is a big question imo). And in the case of Stu, a guy who was voted EPL best XI during his time there, that would have made him a candidate to start even. He didn't debut at Jan. camp, but was in practices to have a look at him, then got hurt. And Cameron is an example of a clear Jan camp success.

10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me the biggest thing we need as a team right now is depth in the midfield and full back. Hence why in addition to the three names you mentioned (Vazquez, Tolkin, and Pomykal) I want to see Jones, Williamson, Parks, Morris, Flach, and Sonora.

I don't care that much about the goalies as I think both will be surpassed by Slonina and Brady, but no harm in taking a look at Celentano and Callender. The other MLS goalkeeper options aren't that notable anyways.

Miazga and Kessler are really in contention to be next cycles Zimmerman and with Ebobisse we might as well given our lack of an established 9.

gogorath repped this.
  11. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you want to bring the u20s who don't make the u20 camp to the sr team camp?
    is there nothing so ridiculous you won't support it?

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't necessarily think of January camp as a senior USMNT camp.
    More like a pool camp.

I give the coach freedom to call up whomever they want to the January camp.
    Its the only camp like this in a year. They can call up 16 and 17 year olds for all I care. NCAA players, USL players, MLS Next Pro players, whomever. This has always been my view of the January camp.

So, for instance, Ben Cremaschi may not make this U20 camp. He's 18 and his natural U20 cycle is the next one. This is the kid from Inter Miami that has been called up by Argentina recently. A highly coveted dual-national. Should we bring him into a camp this January, or just leave him out altogether? Would we rather call him up or Sebastian Lletget to senior national team camp? Lletget led all USMNT players in MLS assists this season. THere's justification for Lletget.............but I'd go with Cremaschi.

[Ben might make this U20 camp as Paxten Aaronson and a few others are unavailable from the U20 CONCACAF Championships team.]

I basically steal my philosophy from Uruguay. They have a domestic camp. But they don't call up senior players from their domestic league to make up the numbers if they don't think they can actually help the national team. They call up players of any age that they think have a senior national team ceiling. They indoctrinate them into what it means to be a Uruguay senior national team player and that culture.

Mike03, adam tash and gogorath repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Our guess is correct. Hudson it is.

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  14. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Let the great Anthony Hudson era begin!

TOAzer, largegarlic and gogorath repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Note that it only says January camp (which presumably includes the two friendlies).
    Doesn't mention the March matches.

The USSF is dealing with a lot more than this right now. Putting fires out everywhere.

Winoman repped this.
  16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I'd sure like to see Ebobisse and Vasquez get some looks. Re: Ebo, apparently Gregg rated him much more poorly than I would. W/ Gregg at least temporarily out of the picture, I hope he gets some call ins. He's worth looking at.

adam tash repped this.
  17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's a huge deal for January camp. It's not as if Hudson is in contention for the full time job. And I don't think it makes sense to bring in a Caleb Porter just do this camp.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Really, there's no reason to go crazy about Hudson's appointment.
    All it says is that he's going to be the interim coach for one camp.

20. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    When is this roster going to be released?

We know one name who won’t be on it.

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's January camp. We know a lot of names that won't be on it.

22. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Drop the roster Anthony!! Too quiet. This board needs something to rant about.

23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Are you kidding me, I bet they didn’t even offer the interim job to Zidane. :thumbsdown:

Mike03, Grumpy in LA, Pl@ymaker and 3 others repped this.
  24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike03 and Winoman repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Eh. We just found out the U19s are having a camp too. So there went Mirkovic.
    So if the USSF needed a coach they already had under contract for January camp.............the U15s, U16s, U17s, U19s, and U20s have competing camps!

Here's a conspiracy theory for you. Berhalter was going to be the coach of this camp. He was getting the contract extension, but those negotiations stopped when this legal investigation started.

So they needed SOME warm body on a USSF contract at the last minute, and Hudson qualifies.

There you go. There's your QAnon consipracy for the day.