Camp Cupcake, Jan 2014

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Jul 18, 2013.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As well as their body's being able to process different things better than others.

thetank123 repped this.
  2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again the fact that something as elementary as this needs to be stated in this thread is just ridiculous.

thetank123 repped this.
  3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    It could have been a severe allergic reaction as well. Not likely, since he supposedly ate the food on Friday and couldn't even get out of bed on Sunday to greet the team before they left for the game.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Out of bed? Must be more like out of the throne.

Any news on whether he's ok now? Hope it's nothing permanent, like hep, or something that may leave long-term damage, like salmonella.

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Jozy, Landon and Beasley are the three twenty year olds who have started in a World Cup. Their advantage over Yedlin is not necessarily talent, rather they were all pros straight out of high school. Had Seattle given him an HGP contract two years earlier then we might be seeing him in Brazil.

tab5g repped this.
  6. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and if he wasn't a defender. It's rare to have young defenders on a world cup team. When I say young I mean 22 or under.

lmorin, tab5g and COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Had Seattle given him a contract straight out of high school, I think he'd be a worse player than he is today. He credits A LOT of his development to Porter. Plus, he got an extra 50 or so games in that he wouldn't have gotten with Seattle.

Hararea repped this.
  8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I have a lot of respect for Porter. However, NCAA rules will hamper even the best coaches. Once a team is off season they can only train a maximum of 8 hours. This is what truly hampers development. As the USSF has recently mandated "The Academy's programming philosophy is based on increased training, less total games and more competitive games." The problem is that the NCAA doesn't give a rip about the USSF or USMNT.

9. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He's back in Chicago for a local sports hero charity award ceremony. Seems to be fine and will report to camp when the fire go to Tuscon for the Desert Dimaond Cup

10. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    #1760 thetank123, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    That 8 hours is on field training. You can work on movement in a gym with no ball. Believe me on this, from personal (different sport) and secondhand experience, coaches find ways to stretch the "allowed" time in unbelievable ways. It also doesn't prevent the team from deciding they want to play together for 2 hours a day in a way that just happens to mimic exactly what they would be doing in "approved" training.

(For example, our conditioning was done after practice not on the football field. Thus, we weren't "violating" the letter of the rules, just steamrolling the spirit :ROFLMAO:)

Hararea repped this.
  11. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not arguing that Yedlin is anywhere close to ready for the WC. It is obvious that he both has a lot of talent and athleticism and a lot of work to do. Having said that, one thing that jumped out at me was how much more quickly he was able to close down attackers than Evans or Parkhurst. He is extraordinarily quick off the ball.

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The bigger problem with college soccer is that there has only ever been one Caleb Porter, and he didn't stick around.

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Correct, if there is decision there is always a way. However, why should it be so hard?

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    In what way has there "only ever been one Caleb Porter" in college soccer?

Was not Bruce Arena an earlier version similar to Porter?

(And I'm guessing there are other somewhat comparable NCAA examples.)

15. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    It shouldn't. At all. I'm just pointing out that the "8 hours" number often thrown around isn't what happens in reality.

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Arena had a lot of success, but he didn't transform college soccer the way Porter did. "Play like Barcelona" eventually became a cliche, but a decade ago, no college was even trying to do that.

More to the point, what Arena has in common with Porter is that they were giants on the college soccer coaching landscape and needed a bigger playground. So other college players don't get the same coaching and team environment that Yedlin benefited from.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    With the numbers of former pro players who need jobs likely to continue to increase in the future, there will be others. Not that college is necessarily the best place for most of them to land, but it is one such place, and it's pretty inevitable that there will be more Arenas and Porters.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    And my point is that it would have to be a very elite college program vs a very crappy pro academy for the college program to be preferable. Especially if the pro academy throws in a free college education.

Marko72 and tab5g repped this.
  19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #1769 tab5g, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    But there are (or will be, as mentioned) other "giants on the college soccer coaching landscape." There are a good number of players (i.e. Edu, Goodson, Zusi, Gonzalez) who get or got "the same (very high quality) coaching and team environment" while in college, similar to those guys who played for Porter or Arena or Schmid or Yeagley, etc.

Not that college is the best avenue in every case. But it is an available avenue for a good number of players. And players can develop and improve there. (And not just in those cases where they got to play for the "uniquely special" Caleb Porter.)

This.

And not that he fits the mold, but he's got the name -- and is (was?) employed as the head men's soccer coach at Florida International University.

Although, interestingly, wiki lists him as "2014- present LA Galaxy (assistant)."

20. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Apologies for being rude, but duh. Doesn't change the fact that Yedlin had a very unusual opportunity. Anyone who's been trained via close interaction with a truly great coach/teacher/mentor can probably understand how important that is.

Was. FIU's new coach has worked his way up and seems like a better hire.

21. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Certainly, but the broader point stands that Porter is not alone as the sole "truly great coach/teacher/mentor" within the past, present or future of college soccer.

22. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The college coaching bar is gradually being raised, but it's slow as molasses. When ADs have an opening, they usually make a well qualified hire, but they rarely go out of their way to upgrade until their hand is forced. So there are lots of dinosaurs still around.

For the most part, the developmental environment for MLSers who aren't getting first-team minutes has been awful. MLS is obviously taking steps to try to fix the problem, but it's still got a long way to go.

Marko72 repped this.
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When I started college in 2008, I interviewed the men's soccer coach for the school newspaper. I asked him whether he thought any of his players had potential to go pro, and if his style of play was geared towards grooming players for the professional ranks. His response was something to the effect of "We're here to win soccer games and win the Patriot League to get to NCAAs." The team played Stoke-ball for all 4 years of college.

A couple of kids got drafted, 1 signed with Philadelphia as a HGP (after freshman year), 2 made USL Pro for a season, 1 played in the Danish third tier, and that's pretty much it. A lot of players came into college with phenomenal resumes - time with US youth squads, high school All-Americans, etc., but the coach absolutely crushed their enthusiasm for the game and any skill they may have had.

Obviously this isn't indicative of all of college soccer, just a small D-1 program in the Northeast, but the coach and his opinions were worrying at the very least.

24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you think a college coach's job is to groom players for anything other than winning college games? Is there a college program somewhere that hires coaches to groom players to become pros?

25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Because for the most part, pro grooming is what today's better players want. Coaches are far better off helping them down this road than having them leave (and the number of transfers out of certain programs is so pathetic it's funny).