Cameron Carter-Vickers at Celtic

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Tottenham will most likely need to Sell to Buy this summer, so theres a pretty strong possibility Carter-Vickers will be sold next window to generate funds, probably in region of about £5 Million. I could see a promotion pushing Championship team like Derby, Swansea, Bristol City or Forest taking a punt. He's still only 22 and has a lot of Championship expereince.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, freisland and BostonRed repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #2253 ArsenalMetro, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Lost 5-0.

Reading hadn't scored 5 since a January 2016 FA Cup match against Huddersfield, in which they were up a man for 63 minutes.

Winoman and autobus39 repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Luton and Barnsley are goners. The fight is for last auto-rel spot, with Lichaj's Hull in the running with Boro, the Terriers, Stoke & Charlton also candidates.

5. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlights from yesterday's shellacking:

None of the goals seemed to really be on CCV. He ends up in no man's land on the first (0:35), but that seems to me to be more the result of his center back partner (#5) pushing way up field to unsuccessfully contest a header and the left back letting his runner get goal side on him. On the second goal (0:54), CCV is shielding his man but the keeper fumbles the ball to the attacker he is marking. Later in the sequence, the ball seems to go through CCV on his sliding block attempt after a horrible clearance by the right back. On the third (1:10), he steps up to try to get pressure on the ball carry after the attacker beats the right back, but the ball carrier is able to dribble to CCV's left and get the assist off.

Luton Town are now 4 points from safety, taking into account Wigan's 12 point deduction for entering administration. Luton host Barnsley, who they are 1 point behind, on Tuesday.

Winoman repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Team pass completion% for the match was 59. No one on the backline had higher than 61%.

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    i.e. they're crap and he fits in just fine :confused:

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Not really, champ. CCV had the league's highest pass completion%(92) in last season's C'ship.

Deeneaus repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So counting both League and FA Cup games, CCV has now made 100 first-team appearances - 11 in Cup games and 89 in Championship games. (If Transfermarkt is to be believed).

He's also got 8 USMNT caps, 11 U23 caps (including a CONCACAF qualifying tournament) and played in two U20 World Cups and one U20 qualifying tournament.

And he's just 22.

So, we have a pretty good body of work to evaluate CCV. He's a slightly undersized but very athletic and strong centerback with good passing skills but prone to occasional mental errors.

And yet, I feel like we still don't know his ceiling. He's probably not Tottenham good, which means he wouldn't be a Europe League EPL level player, at least not as a regular starter.

I do think he could play for some mid-tier and lower-tier EPL teams and should definitely be able to play for some of the Championship level teams pushing for promotion.

I also think he needs to get on the books of whatever team he's playing for. No more of this Loan Army crap. Spurs need to let him go and find a team willing to commit to him. So here's hoping he ends up in a better club situation, either with a mid to lower tier EPL team or a very good Championship team.

I doubt he's ever a regular first-choice starter for the USMNT anytime soon, but if he's in a good club situation, I can see him getting consistent call-ups and being in the role of a third or fourth CB who gets some occasional starts when the top candidates aren't available.

12. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I haven't seen enough of him to be confident either way, but why do you say he's not a starter for the US anytime soon? Outside of Brooks, all we have is championship level players. Is miazga that much better? Long? Tim Ream? Not sure why CCV wouldn't be right there fighting for a starting spot next to JAB.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Long was linked to West Ham and Ream plays for a yo-yo club. Club pedigree and transfer interest isn't everything, but yes, those two are much better CBs than CCV. And I don't even like Ream.

CCV is basically interchangeable with like...Tim Parker. I hope he improves, but his continued descent through the Championship doesn't suggest great things to me.

Couldn't agree more. His contract is up next summer, so hopefully Tottenham can manage to sell him this summer.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The difference is that when Ream was CCV's age he was three months into his pro career and Long was playing in the USL.

You'd like to think that having 100 games at this age would put CCV's development ahead of where Long and Ream were and allow him to have a higher ceiling.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  15. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    CCV just had a rough year with the loans. I have a friend who is a huge Swansea fan and felt he was a good addition last year but he knew they had no shot to keep him. Stoke turned out to be a disaster. From the sound of it he has been solid for Luton but they are an awful team.

To me he has to find his groove even if it means going to another mediocre to bad team to just get game time and improve. I mean look at Matt Miazga. I'm sure most fans would prefer him at a better club than Reading but he has done a great job from the sound of it in building up his stock... fight not withstanding

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    i.e. he's regressing?

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Championship is notorious for CBs hoofing it, so a pass rate under 90% for CBs is acceptable there. Under 60% is terrible even in the Ch'ship though.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It was one game. He's at 80.6% for the season, despite being on two abysmal teams.

Other fun fact: the Championship leader in accurate passes per match is Tim Ream, whose 65.2 is best by 5.1 over his CB partner, and is 8.3 better than any non-Fulham player.

autobus39 and freisland repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Truth be told, outside Leeds and Brom'ch, watching the Championship is a chore when you're mainly a fan of the Southern Euro/South American game.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Team effects. It's a team sport.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  22. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one is on ESPN+.... If you don't watch it live it can be a little tough to find the replays for the following 24 hours or so.... and then you can just search for the team. If you want to watch roughly an hour or two after the game is complete then you have to toggle through the soccer replays. There is a lot to love about ESPN+... a ton of bang for the buck... but it is a bummer you can't start a live game from the beginning if you are 30 minutes late to the show.

Winoman repped this.
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Huge game for both teams. A Huddersfield win basically ensures their survival, a Luton loss basically ensures their relegation, and anything else leaves them both right in the thick of it.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    One thing about passes - there's two players involved.

22 is young for a CB. CCV is putting in his work-a-day shifts right now. Will he get "back" to EPL level? I think that's hard to say, but absent injuries he's a solid pro and is unlikely to flame out the way some fancy-footed youth AM types can when they are exposed to "big boy" competition.

My fairly evidence-free guess is he'll end up around a Bocanegra/Ream career, maybe getting a stint in the EPL with the right team, but mostly playing a big part on teams just below that level.

But I'd be happy for him to prove me overly pessimistic. When I've seen him play he appears to really try to play a complete, intelligent, modern CD game, which I appreciate.

Winoman and The Irish Rover repped this.
  25. Ninjatom21

Ninjatom21 Member

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 1, 2017
    I think it's safe to say Boca's career was much better than Ream's so far. If CCV could have a career like Boca he'd be doing very well.

The Irish Rover repped this.