Cameron Carter-Vickers at Celtic

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 13, 2014.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How was his performances in European competitions vs those in the Scottish league? Because I mean excelling in a league that's akin to League 1/lower end Championship ain't exactly saying much.

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Average SofaScore rating was lower in Europe, but it’s only 6 games vs 33.

IMG_5974.jpg

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Taking the EL games, IIRC he was sometimes shaky in the early matches. That's unsurprising: a) EL ball is a big step up from the SPL, b) the team was still bedding in key signings who had arrived late and c) those two games were against real heavyweights in Betis and Leverkusen. By the time the final two games - against Leverkusen and Betis - came around he, like the rest of the team, was playing well.

There's no reason to believe that he won't be CL quality when the CL group stages come around in the autumn. If there was, would Celtic and Postecoglu would be trying so hard for so long to sign him permanently?

CyphaPSU and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there is one reason to think that he will not be CL-quality – he plays for Celtic!

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Methinks Lyon, Sparta Prague, Dortmund, Red Star Belgrade, Braga and Leipzig might beg to differ about the quality of the Old Firm. ;)

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  6. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Ancient history of Celtic.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some reported advances in negotiations:

upload_2022-5-23_22-22-47.jpeg

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Look who's part of the "Old Firm" now! lol.

And you can thank them for the coefficient as well...

CCV's had a great year. Did not hurt his cred at all. Looked like Spurs was never going to happen, he'll get lots of game, a little taste of Europe and end up back in England in 2-3 years barring injury.

9. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been more enjoyable to have our guys on good teams in bad leagues. Kljestan, a bunch of Beas' stops, Gooch (the original), Edu all had good experiences on teams at this "level". After this year you can add CCV to the list.

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    "Better Hamlet in Nottigham than Laertes in the West End.*"
    Peter O'Toole's advice to a struggling Michael Caine

beamish, superdave, largegarlic and 5 others repped this.
  11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Interesting: Spurs' owners have filed the paperwork to pump another £150 million into the clubs, with that money earmarked for strengthening the squad with what Conte calls "important players", the kind of players who are a steal at £25 million . Add the revenues from a first full season at a fully-open White Hart Lane, and Spurs are going to be pretty flush this summer.

The money they'll get from selling CCV is chump change in this environment. Maybe, just maybe, Daniel "every penny is a hostage" Levy will break the habit of a lifetime and get deals done well before deadline day.

Maybe.

12. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well by that same logic, they can afford to play hardball since they don't need to money as much as the other team might need to player.

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3288 The Irish Rover, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
    I said "maybe" to Daniel Levy changing his MO.

In any case, it seems that his loan deal includes an option to buy, exercisable by June 15th of £6 million down and a potential £4 million more in add-ons. Since personal terms have been agreed between him and Celtic, it's likely that the deal is going through and that any delay will be about the add-ons. Celtic have a lot of other deals they want to make permanent and they may have problems with cash flow.

It's in everybody's interest for CCV to leave: coaches in general and Conte in particular hate the distraction, Celtic need a quality CB and Spurs need to focus on their priority targets. Those targets won't be cheap and the negotiations are likely to be dramatic as well as protracted.

My guess is £6 million and a resale clause tied to the gross transfer fee will solve things. THen again, this is Daniel Levy

14. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    While in general you are right about distractions, I can't imagine Conte sees the CCV transfer as a distraction or that it plays into this decision at all. The guy has never played in a league match for Tottenham and only made 5 appearances total, four of them 6 seasons ago. He's been loaned out 7 times in 6 years.

Harry Kane maneuvering to leave is a daily downpour distraction.Cameron Carter-Vickers leaving to an inferior league is a microscopic drop in a single day's London rain for a club like Tottenham, who are perfectly capable of generating their own weather system.

15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Good for CCV! I still have my doubts that he can cut it in the EPL but he should get his chance!
    That‘s all you can ask for.

18. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Bournemouth wanted to keep him last season, and they are now promoted. Not sure situation now for them, but would think they could have (some) interest again.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moving to Celtic FC permanently for a reported $12 million (including incentives).

sakibomb523, jjmack, Gacm32 and 4 others repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Move confirmed by, among others, The Athletic and Irish TV.

From the latter:
    Carter-Vickers said: "I am so pleased to complete my move to Celtic and I really could not be happier.
    "I have loved every minute of my time at Celtic so far and I really wanted to be part of the club’s future.
    "We have so much to look forward to, we will aim to be strong again domestically and of course we look ahead with real excitement to the Champions League."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/202...-carter-vickers-from-spurs-on-four-year-deal/

sakibomb523, Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean...... obviously I approve this move. I approve it with two thumbs up.

If I'm ballsy I might just spring for a CCV #20 new away kit that pays homage to 1992. I'm due for a new Celtic kit. :D

[​IMG]

Gacm32, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not seeing too many numbers in any of these reports, but up to $12 million or £9.7 million if all incentives are met sounds like a quick and efficient compromise on the £6 million that Celtic were offering: it'll be about £6 million guaranteed and the rest based on the number of he appearances in the SPL and UEFA ball.

It's pretty high for Celtic, possibly even a record transfer fee, but it's a sign of important he is to Celtic and Postecoglu's plans for the future.

Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's a 4 year deal BTW.

Which usually translates to about £1.5 million a year guaranteed, rising to £2.4 million if he meets the incentive targets.

Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it might be the new record. Odsonne Edouard was/is the record purchase. They nabbed him for $11M from PSG. Celtic have the cash. They are pretty frugal on their purchases. They are usually the ones flipping a player for a nice profit. It's a huge testament and vote of confidence that the club is willing to shell out a record amount to get CCV. He's earned it. CCV deserves it. Postecogul has done nothing but won me and many others over. A breath of fresh air to usher in a new era at Celtic. CCV will be one of the cornerstones of that new era. I am stoked. Really stoked.

mace, The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really happy for Cameron! And happy to finally remove the "on loan from" from his thread title!

beamish and Winoman repped this.