Calzona the calabrese spice !

Discussion in 'Napoli' started by Il Ciuccio, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let’s discuss this guy…

I feel positive about him and if we can get through the tough fixtures we have coming up then he should be our coach for next season…

Euphorius Thor and SF19 repped this.
  2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The positive part of me looks at him and thinks oh he's really calmed the waters, and he must have the trust of the players, but the negative part of me looks at two players in particular who are suddenly contributing in a lot and thinks their agents may have had more to do with it.

3. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If we had him from the beginning we'd be much further ahead.

He's brought back what was started by Spalletti, the job Rudi and Walter were supposed to do. He's only been here 2 weeks? If he can somehow find a way to get us past Barca and/or get us into the top 4 I want us to keep him for next year. I don't care for 'big name coaches'.

He looks like he has something to prove as a coach, I hope he continues to find success.

Euphorius Thor, Il Ciuccio and SF19 repped this.
  4. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah the agents told them start playing well or else no big team will want them…

SF19 repped this.
  5. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    He's something of a late bloomer. He sold coffee for a living while playing/coaching part-time amateur football. The high point of his playing career were 3 matches in Serie B. He mostly rode his way up the coaching ladder through his time with Sarri, but had spells working with di Eusebio (half a season at Cagliari) and with Spalletti at Napoli (only in the season before we won the league). He became a manager proper in his own right after Hamsik recommended him to Slovakia FA.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spalletti spent his playing time mostly in Serie C as well. The right tactical mind and management skills for coaching don't always line up with the physical capabilities needed to compete at the highest level on the field.

7. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The best coaches are usually the bench players… look at the Inzaghi brothers…

8. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Filippo played a starring role for Juve and ACM. Scored both goals when they beat Liverpool in the 2007 UCL final. He and RvN were the last of the classic goal poachers.

Simeone made a decent career for himself with Lazio.

9. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Right and the guy who sat on the bench more became the better coach.

SF19 repped this.
  10. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Calzona did his first interview as our new manager. Cronache di Spogliatoio will publish the video Monday in full on YouTube, but bits from the interview will be posted every day until then.

11. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    After Inter, when he said that we played well, I would fire him right away. But then he said we were still a long way away from Inter, and that puts things into perspective. Yes, considering that, it was as far as we could go.

He surely does deserve a chance, and he seems to be passionate enough to care about the team, but reasonable enough to not act like Mourinho when things go badly.