Callups for Czech & Spain Nations League

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by prodigal_mind, Sep 15, 2022.

1. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #176 verde-rubro, Sep 30, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    But he was, he was winning his battles in the air and ground Spain did not look like scoring when he was on.
    Santos gave him a job to do and he did it

2. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    In the first half yes, but that was hardly all due to Carvalho. Spain started to take over the game when they made their big changes in midfield, long before he was subbed off. Amazing what can happen you put out creative midfielders and try to actually score.

"Santos gave him a job to do" yeah and the job was to keep his precious 0-0 instead of trying to win the game. Even in that sense Portugal has better options than him, he should not be a starter.

3. figueira

figueira Member

Feb 8, 2007
    NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The score was 0-0 with William and if Santos was playing for a tie then why did he bring in Mario, Vitinha and Leao. These are not who you want to bring in to keep the score 0-0. It's almost like he decided to go for the win and it backfired.

4. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Ok guys . It is clear that this coach always coaches the same way against all top teams . He plays not to loose . Defensive for 75 minutes of the game, then brings in more offensive players to see if we can win . The man is a loser of a coach . How players like Palhinha and Leao did not start is beyond me . How Renaldo continues to start is beyond me . How he keeps back two of our more potent offensive players ( right and left backs) is Absurd . With the talent we have, we should have won this game comfortably . To the players credit, even with the bad decisions this coach made , we still had chances to win but CR has unfortunately lost a couple of steps and lost his touch in front of the net . What a waste of talent

money11 and The Zeta Variant repped this.
  5. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Thank the FPF for sticking with santos and throwing away what should have been our best chance to win the world cup .

6. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  7. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    People really hate us in the main forum. Trying to back our team up to flex but I really don’t have any hopes with Santos. The guardian has us 14th to win , Canada is 17th. This is pathetic.

8. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I feel like confidence is another issue to worry about other than Santos’ tactics. If Portuguese people aren’t confident, then the players aren’t. We need to win the Nigerian friendly, and Ronaldo has to bring the team up some how in the locker room. He’s at least good for that.
    This is his last World Cup, and everyone thinks he’s done. Who knows, maybe he would do a complete 180 with that chip on his shoulder and make everyone eat crow for one last time.

The Zeta Variant repped this.
  9. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Portugal is going to win the world cup. You heard it hear first.
    I will also beat every Portuguese player if they lose to England at some point in this world cup.
    I really hope (after Canada) that you guys take it. Your team is great and with my boy Leao, you should have the attacking strength to do it.

overheadkicks and The Zeta Variant repped this.
  10. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Not with our manager. They will only go as far as their indivdual quality takes them. Which will be fine against the lesser sides, but once they play a top team, Santos and his limiting, small time football will do them in again.

The Zeta Variant repped this.
  11. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Even though I put Brazil first in my grade list I have secretly Portugal as my champions too. But doubts remain because of conservative tactics from Santos. If that all-Lusophone final with Brazil becomes reality my money is on Portugal to win.
    However in my personal bracket Brazil will have a much easier path to the final. We'll see.

12. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Santos conservative tactics will
    Likely punish us sooner but I’m still trying to be optimistic. I have a good gut feeling.

13. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    What makes you want to pick Portugal
    This time ? Just curious cuz most of us on here have given up

14. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Santos said he doesn't want to start thinking about Euro 2024 until January.

Which probably means that whatever happens at the World Cup, he will not step down.

Pathetic.

15. The Zeta Variant

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    I don’t think it means anything tbh

16. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    In my opinion, Portugal played better than Belgium in the Euros and only lost because they were unlucky. They can handle to big teams if they get their tactics right. Santos needs to have confidence that he has quality players that can compete against any side.

17. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Portugal started playing football after Belgium scored. Too late.. typical of Santos mentality

eurodad and The Zeta Variant repped this.