Callups for Czech & Spain Nations League

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by prodigal_mind, Sep 15, 2022.

1. money11

money11 Member

Apr 15, 2007
    an absolute disgrace... ronaldo is fkin done..... FINISHED. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH santos out!!!!!....... first sub of the game is for joao Mario? common man I'm speechless.

overheadkicks and The Zeta Variant repped this.
  2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    When uruguay loses despite to a bigger nation you can see the pain and disbelief in their players eyes. When we lose to anyone it's all just sulking.

We had a window after the 2016 euro to change the mentality... It kinda carried up until the nations league in 2019 but that was more luck of the draw. 2018 was a huge let down we should have at the very least lost to France in the qfs but not even that. In reality we should have won the group and took a stroll to face France in the final but we couldn't put Iran away... Seriously? ... That was the first and only signal needed to get rid of Santos. Thank you move on... Nope we threw away the next Nations league playing like chickens to a weak France, we threw away the euro playing defense after going up vs Germany and being to scsred to take it to France and ultimately lose to a nation that we never lose to and who by all accounts were having their asses handed to them so bad that they had no gas vs Italy the next game... So no trigger to get rid of Santos... We lose to Serbia...at home... No problem. We almost get eliminated by turkey because we tutrled in the last 20 mins for no reason... No problem. And now today. The most beatable spain I can remember in the last 22+ years and we lose at home? Embarrassing

The Zeta Variant and Tertuliano repped this.
  3. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

Euro 2012 Semi final where we lost in PK's, playing infinitely better and PB as coach of all people.

Santos=out.

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah that's why we lost. Banning macaco and anyone from portugal ultras maming braga and a portugal home game the most quiet its ever been had nothing to do with it?

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #155 GoodDead, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Imagine if meireles' pass to Ronaldo at the end wasn't botched? we would have won in regulation... And today? Spain with no where near that team and us with improvements all around? The difference a manager makes

6. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Yeah, not to make this a Uruguay 'love fest' or anything, because they are very much beatable, but I really do admire their attitude. Those guys will go through a brick wall to represent their tiny nation. Is why you hardly ever see a Uruguay international refuse a call-up due to a small injury, tiredness, etc , no matter how insignificant the game is. I have known a few Uruguayans , and they are similar to the make-up of their team, that charrua, or 'fire in belly' thing was no joke, very proud people. Never give up. The Balkans mentality of South America...lol. Portugal will have their hands full once again BUT I still think Portugal will beat them on talent alone this time, or at least i am hoping that is the case. Give me the Uruguayan mentality , with Portuguese players, holy, we winning the World Cup ! Haha.

7. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #157 prodigal_mind, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    The reason we suck is the following:

1. The coach has zero charisma or personality. The players must have zero motivation or drive playing for this dude
    2. Playing one of the worlds best midfielders as a winger
    3. Ronaldo is absolute trash. I would rather even have Paulinho or Cavaleiro out there
    4. Bruno William Neves has got to be one of the slowest and unathletic midfields i have ever seen. How are we supposed to win the midfield battle with these clowns playing. Its obvious that the best midfield is Palhinha Bernardo and Vitinha/Nunes.

This is our best team, and by far

Costa
    cancelo pepe dias mendes
    Palhinha Vitinha
    Rafa Bernardo Leao
    Ramos

Even alterations such as Nunes instead of Vitinha, or Bernardo instead of vitinha with Felix in the CAM position instead would be acceptable. Anyways, today was the wakeup call. He will play the exact same shit tactics and lineups at the world cup. Hopefully Ghana hammers us in game one so this moron can stop this two dm bullshit

money11 and The Zeta Variant repped this.
  8. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    The Germany game at the Euros should have been the wake-up call.

Then the Serbia game should have been the wake-up call.

Now I still doubt this will be the wake-up call.

money11 repped this.
  9. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I disagree about the two DMs, really they should have won today. I don't love the idea of it but it does allow you then to have 4 attacking players ahead of them. And william is a great short passer of the ball, and neves a great long passer with great long distance shooting on net. They really aren't true defensive midfielders. I Hate that we lost but in today's game when you have all attacking players it never seems to get you far. You need two strong midfielders who are good defensively. If it were two costinhas, or two petits, or even two Palhinha I could understand, but neither William or neves are True defensive mids like that. I'd love to see Neves with Renato, or neves Palhinha. Ronaldo is my goat but boy oh boy you gotta take him off in the 70th when his legs are absolutely dead. It's criminal Santos doesn't substitute him. U either start him and take him off between the 60th and 70th. Or you bring him on off the bench. He can't be played for 90 minutes anymore, that's unacceptable.

10. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sack Santos and bring in Andre.

It's probably why Andre isn't signing any long term deals with clubs. He is keeping his eye on the Red & Green.

[​IMG]

11. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [B24] Fernando Santos: “This elimination doesn't pinch me at all. [...] I have a contract until 2024.”

Deal with it

12. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    It is sad to see CR out there . Not even a shadow of himself . His heart is in it and he wants to perform for the country he dearly loves but he has gone from GOAT playing Portugal to now being a weight in the team . The drive that made him great now hinder him from realizing his time is over

13. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #163 Sumol, Sep 28, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    I hope Fernando Gomes is paying attention to Benfica.

More possession, less fouls.

Time to hire a German. What's that saying? If you can't beat them, join them.

Put Roger Schmidt in charge of that game last night and we win easily. He will be available once Santos' contract is up. Roger Schmidt is going to know lots about Portuguese players once his contract is up in 2024.

I would be shocked if he wasn't a candidate in a few years.

14. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Garra Charrúa

15. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Florentino would proably be our best dm and he doesnt even get called up

16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Lol wut? Palhinha is miles better

eurodad and overheadkicks repped this.
  17. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Florentino is elite, been instrumental in the undefeated run of Benfica! Would rather have him starting than William and Danilo anyday...

Palhinha is miles better than William, Danilo & Neves

18. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hopefully Moutinho and Andre Silva are called next time!

2024, deal with it boyos. We played fantastic, Ronaldo usually scores those chances. That was the difference!

Have some respect for the only campeao in our history! Do any of you low iq cucks have an engineering degree?

Exactly.

Fernando the Chad 1-0 Bigsoccer Virgins

19. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Florentino should have definitely been there instead of William. That's for sure.

20. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Palhinha is at peak age in football. He has more years on Florentino.

Florentino is young and still developing, he is not far off from JP in terms of ability.

Potential is sky high. We don't call Florentino 'The Octopus' for no reason.

21. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As soon William went of we lost. replaced with Mario and Vitinha who could not win the balls in the air or tackle Palhinha should of come on.

The Zeta Variant repped this.
  22. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Ya as much as I like how Florentino has played, Palhinha is a more experienced and at the top of his game . Florentino will get there and I think he has a higher ceiling of development but not ready for pressures of WC imo

23. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I was ok with Vitinha coming on but not a fan of Mario coming on . Mario is not the kind of player that does well coming off the bench . For sure Palhinha should have come on at that point . Dumb ass coach .
    That being said, I think we lost because our idiot coach would not allow Cancelo or Mendes to fully attack .
    At one point Mendes went through three guys then instead of continuing , he stopped and passed off and returned to defensive positioning . Our coach had a Ferrari but drives like he had a Toyota .
    We are wasting this era of deep talent pool on this fool

24. Caldo Verde

Caldo Verde Member

None
    Portugal
    Feb 3, 2018
    lol what. He shouldn't have even been on the field to begin with.

money11 repped this.
  25. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Good point about Cancelo and the wing backs.

Cancelo has his wings clipped when playing for Portugal in that formation.

I fear that Ronaldo is causing the same issues in this team as he did with United before he got dropped.

He threw his armband again like a little boy after the game.

As a captain Figo>Ronaldo

We need a foreign coach and the FPF need a clean out with younger blood.