Calling out people who said Gomez had to be a part of the national team

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ugaaccountant, Apr 15, 2006.

1. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    He's not even starting tonight for his club. Benched for Cornell Glen. I along with quite a few others seem to have been quite right about him. His skill set just wasn't that good and he seems to have just had a hot streak.

Anyway just wanted to put this out there as a reminder to look at what a guy can actually do to contribute not just reading the box score.

2. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you done cuz nobody cares what you think.

3. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Well it is a valid point for all of those who jump on a person's bandwagon for a handful of MLS matches. It further means that though he often takes flack and I for one question his selections that Da Bruce gets it more right than wrong about players. Still I hope Gomez is just hitting some bad form and comes back to the level he was last year. It's only 3 matches in so we'll see.

4. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    That's actually exactly how I feel.

About Eddie Johnson.

But I haven't completely written him off just yet.

Sure, it's possible that Gomez had a 19 goal hot streak.

But perhaps you should base the "flash in the pan" claims on a more substantial foundation than Steve Sampson's one-game team selection.

Yes. Sampson. The king of personel decisions, who, over the last season and a half, has preferred Vagenas to Donovan at the attacking midfield position.

Waiting for actual evidence can be tedious and boring, I know, but it's a slightly more rational way to approach things.

Unless, of course, you just expected dozens of BigSoccer posters to blindly apologize for wanting to see how Gomez would have performed in an international friendly or two.

Since, you know, the USMNT is extremely deep at striker and the roster spots are finalized because four have demonstrated they are clearly better than the rest.

And for the record, no, I'm still not sold on Herc at the club level, much less the international level. Eddie Johnson, either. Nate Jaqua, either.

5. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting for the cap Ante Razov threads...

Oh, wait...

6. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Last night I was watching Chivas/Galaxy game and Donovan was upset about decision made....He said "seems like I am in a High School soccer team"

7. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    You need to be aware that our horrendous MLS coaching is sinking our league day by day. MLS coaching job supposed to be polishing all our young talent to make them ready for a national team cap but so far it seems like many players in MLS are out of their natural position and are not getting the so call "professional" attention that is require:cool:

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ching has been hot in MLS for a while now and over the seasons, plus he knows LD and gets plenty of chances for Bruce..I'm positive next chance he gets for the NT, he won't suck....

9. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    I AGREE most definitely.

Case in point, Columbus with Greg Andrulis and the examples: Kyle Martino, Edson Buddle, and Danny Scetala. Prominent examples

Mike Jefferies when he was with the Burn: Eddie Johnson and D.J. Countless

And this is extreme but I have to say it- Peter Novak: with Freddy Adu (come on, if your the player of the Week in MLS and don't get the start the next week, I kind of question that).

And so many other examples that aren't in my mind right now.