Calling Out John Wagner

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by sweeper33, Oct 23, 2003.

1. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No, I understand and I'm not blaming you. You do alot for the true fans with your web site, reports, and radio show. So expect a call Weds.

2. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I too am looking forward to Dustin's interview as I have never met Wagner either.

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christmann interview with Wagner

I will be very interested in reading that interview. (Okay, that is a bit of a "duh" statement, but there you have it.)

As far as the move went, the decision was made before enough people knew enough to say or do anything.

At the time, I was happy about the saved money, skeptical about the hispanic fans, and thinking, "as long as they save as much dough for Frisco, great." Frankly, if they save $500,000 over two years and spend that on making sure they can afford a roof, great. I still think that.

I think the one-two punch of a bad stadium situation and a bad season was simply too much. At leas the Chicago folk saw it coming with the renovation of Soldier Field on the books for some time.

Seriously - I think the better MLS coaches would have done a better job of adapting to the turf. Instead, Jeffries tries to redo the defense AND start a very young (albeit very talented) keeper. As fans who were used to the team having to struggle from time to time but NEVER this bad, it was simply unimaginable.

So - back to Wagner and where we go from here, with that recent history as a backdrop. First, I think many people are going to gague this ownership group on who they hire for a coach. The GM seems (at least right now) to be a competent business person who (hopefully) gets soccer. He does seem to be saying the right things about the game and the fans. But if they hire someone who doesn't know MLS, and doesn't have at least a serious potential for success....

That move will dictate what is done about the roster....

And we will have the 2004 season to contend with.

Secondly, it will be interesting to see how things go at the game on Sunday (USA WNT v. Mexico) as far as Sam's Army is concerned. Will they let us do our thing, or will they allow the 12-yr-old girls and their daddies to push us around because we're standing and making noise? More directly, what is done for the fans in general (price) and different specific groups - overall hispanic fans, the different SCs, etc. I think the move to the Southside reserved worked out great - and not just because we won. We seemed to get a better response from the North Side, we had as much if not more room to maneuver, and we still had good field access (yelling at players, etc.)

As I understand it, it was Wagner who proposed the seating situation for these seats for The Inferno (not the idea of the move, but the logistics of how to do it) in that he suggested that they were willing to block off a section of seats and save them for The Inferno, that we would buy our season seats and then what was left would be used for filler - people who wanted to buy game day seats, etc., could buy a seat in The Inferno.

This flexibility answers some significant issues for those in The Inferno who believe that we need to be able to add people as we go - that buying a set amount of seats in the pre-season would limit us over the course of a season to add people who saw us and wanted to join. And it requires them (HSG) to go out of their way for us. I think this is a great sign.

I agree that we need to stay on our toes and work for the best arrangement we can.

We need to be consistent in our voice that the hispanic audience MUST be a part of the Burn fanbase - they are too soccer-knowledgeable, too passionate, and there are too many of them to be successful in Dallas without them. Personally, I like a vast majority of the atmosphere they bring. There is a level of excitement that you don't get from the Library types. (IMO, do that - make the hispanic audience a major part of the Burn fanbase - and HSG simply won't be ABLE to do some of the cheerleader/sound-during the run of play stuff....)

4. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when the move was formally made. January, I think. I was in Cabo, reading my e mail and looking at the ocean. Right after the move was made, I typed a long hypothetical dialogue. To make a very long dialectic short, it was something like this.

DRUNKEN PETER: This is going to be a disaster.
    HSG MOUTHPIECE PETER: No, it will be great!

Niether Wagner nor anyone else could immagine how right I would turn out to be. And there is not much the team can do to make it better. The best thing we can do is take seats on the side, where we were the last game. At least we should be able to hang some flags and banners.

Winning will solve all problems. Too band we will not see many next year.

5. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I remember some of that. Oh the move to Southlake will be great, blah, blah, blah.

Yeah so great that even those who played in the Burn Bowl say it sucks. I think alot of people(including myself) are not so much upset over the move, but being told we will have this and that, but then only to be told. Well, you know how we said this? Well, there was a small problem.

Now I was at one point going to college as a business major, but dropped out. My question to Mr. Wagner is, how much research did they do before hand.

6. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Who was Runner up Stadium #1?
    Who was Runner up Stadium #2?

What did Dragon Stadium offer that placed them above Runner ups 1 & 2?

How much money are you losing at Dragon Stadium due to poor attendance vs. monies not gained at the Cotton Bowl?

If there is a gain will you invest this surplus in improving the game day experience at Dragon Stadium in 2004? (field markings, seating, ticket pricing, parking passes) How about local advertising & broadcasting?

When & how will you start communicating to your customers (Dallas Burn season ticket holders) and respond to their concerns Mr. Wagner/HSG?

John Wagner - why should I come back to Dragon Stadium?

7. dallasinter

dallasinter New Member

Apr 17, 2001
    dallas
    Sweeper33 is right on with both posts in this thread. Season ticket holders, the Latino fans, and the targeted suburban fan base all need answers for 2004 and legitimate peeks at 2005 (it's just good marketing, particularly to overcome the bad marketing impact of 2003). Setting aside unproductive issues about how did what to get us here, as a season ticket holder, I need to see some answers to feel good about competence and vision in the front office and to justify a further investment.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HSG and the Burn have stated publicly that they lost $500,000 less in 2003 at Dragon Stadium than they lost in 2002 at the Cotton Bowl. They had been hoping for $1 million in savings, but the poor attendance this year cut it in half.
    Screw 2004. Personally, I'd rather than they put that money into making Uncle Lamar's House of Whoop-Ass a better venue.
    Where else are you going to be able to abuse the Decker Dog?

9. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was Runner up Stadium #1?
    Who was Runner up Stadium #2?

Runner up the first was the Cotton Bowl. There was no third place.

What did Dragon Stadium offer that placed them above Runner ups 1 & 2?

Less than half of the rent of the Cotton Bowl, a percentage of the parking and concessions. If nobody showed up at the games, the Burn still would have saved money.

If there is a gain will you invest this surplus in improving the game day experience at Dragon Stadium in 2004? (field markings, seating, ticket pricing, parking passes) How about local advertising & broadcasting?

I highly doubt it. The team still lost money, just not nearly as much. I expect a real ad blitz when the move to Frisco is made, becasue, at that point, the managment will know the team is about to make a profit. Of course, that profit goes in the bank and just offests the losses of the teams without stadiums, but it helps the league. Every ticket sold does. Further, I think the managment realizes that Dragon Stadium is so poor it might turn off casual fans.

When & how will you start communicating to your customers (Dallas Burn season ticket holders) and respond to their concerns Mr. Wagner/HSG?

He will not. The GM will.

John Wagner - why should I come back to Dragon Stadium?

If you will forgive me for answering a question with a question, who was fan of the year last season? Have some pride in that, something that nobody else has accomplished. Plus, we know where you live.

10. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Holy crap! The long, sharp talons of Inferno membership run deep.

"Just when I try to get out - THEY PULL ME BACK IN!"

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ladies and Gentleman I think we have found our stadium name.

12. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    That's why I'm calling out John Wagner. OK, so you make the decision to move the Burn out of the Cotton Bowl to save money. Fine.

But it sounds like there was absolutely NO effort to find a suitable soccer environment for them to occupy in the interim. There was no second or third choice to comparison shop between because HSG DIDN'T EVEN LOOK FOR ONE.

AS FAR AS I KNOW Dragon Stadium was chosen because John Wagner lives in the school district and was familiar with it. End of search. I wish I knew more but Mr Wagner doesn't comment in public about these matters. And, going back to my original post, that bone-headed short-sighted decision killed the Burn in 2003 and probably will again in 2004.

When the team was moved to DS we fans had basically nothing to say, it was already a done deal once it was announced. I refuse to remain quiet during THIS offseason. There are basic changes that could improve game day experience at DS next season. But I don't expect HSG or the Burn GM to even consider doing any of them unless they get an earfull for the entire off season.

I guess I could change my BigSoccer name to "broken record" because I don't plan to leave this alone.

WAGNER'S FOLLY

13. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, I too am still waiting to hear something. But a the point in my previous post, business is not rocket science.

Did he list the pros and cons after seeing that the Burn would not lose as much money.

Did he even make a list of back ups?

Why did he even choose Sucklake(it was very heard to not say this the other week when I called in).

All in all, I think Wagner should step up to the plate.

i hate what ifs, but here is a big one. Would the Burn have sucked this bad if they were at the Cotton Bowl?

14. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    The Burn would have done better, might even have beat out LA for a spot in the playoffs. To me, no question at all. With Chad not being as slow on grass, the field being better on the health of the players, and the good crowds, to me it's a slam dunk that the Burn would have been better.

The players hate to play in sucklack. What else is there to say?

Now, that said Jeffries would still be coach if they had stayed. I'll leave it up to you to decide if that would have been good.

15. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    About Head Honcho Don Garber, "He is anything but discouraged and plans to focus on three core groups: hard-core fans, the youth market that plays the game, and the growing Hispanic population that loves the game internationally and should root for its hometown team."

We're one for three at Dragon Stadium. How about following the boss-man's lead, HSG, and cultivating the patronage of the hard core fan and Hispanic fan?

16. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I just don't see the bang for the buck for a team in Frisco to court the Hispanic (recently immigrated/primarily spanish speaking), as opposed to the primarily English speaking middle class Hispanic who has moved to Frisco or its environs.

Write em off. You got north dallas soccer moms to court.

Things I want at the new stadium.

1) Grass pitch

2) 5000 capacity Chuck E Cheese franchise on site.