Calling Bruce Arena...

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by RoyalMan, Jan 21, 2006.

1. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
  2. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    MH is #1 when Kasey Keller gets hit by a bus.

No competition here.

3. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I don't know about Arena, but I imagine that a majority of knowledgable US soccer fans would call Marcus a solid #2. I think most of us are paralleling Marcus' season with Friedel's tremendous season when Blackburn was promoted to the Premiership.

I visited the linked website, and well, Royals fans have very limited knowledge about Keller. First, one said he is too old. Somebody better let the Bundesliga know that. Kicker in Germany recently ranked Keller the 2nd best keeper in the Bundesliga through the first half of the season (no mean feat). He also has significant experience and success in LA Liga (leading minnow Rayo Vallecano to the UEFA Cup) and the Premiership. Finally, he has been downright incredible for us in international play with 39 shutouts in 81 appearances, including a heroic performance that allowed us to defeat Brazil. Remember, Keller was just awarded the Player of the Year trophy for all US players, beating out players like Demarcus Beasley who starred with PSV Eindhoven and Landon Donovan who led MLS-side Los Angeles Galaxy to the domestic cup championship.

In short, Marcus is a great keeper and we are thrilled for him and want him on the team in Germany, but most US followers would right now list him as the third best US keeper (after Keller and Friedel). Unfortunately for Marcus, we are absolutely loaded at the GK position.

4. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    MH is great, and I really wish he were 5 years younger because he would have a great chance as #1 in 2010, but as long as KK is able, the egg farmer's son is #1.
    But, I love the idea of MH as #2 this summer. He'll get some minutes in the run-up games, and be a great clubhouse guy.

5. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think if Kasey gets hit by a bus before the team leaves for Germany, Bruce would call Friedel and ask him to un-retire. Once we're in Germany, I gotta figure that Marcus would start over Tim, but it might be a toss-up. I would start Marcus over Tim, put it that way.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Absolutely absolutely absolutely correct.

Interestingly Keller recently said this in the Yanks Abroad Best XI

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=bestxi&id=001436

and I read from the book of Keller:

"As World Cup being may last turn for the National Team, I don't know. Probably. But if I'm still the best, then I'm still the best. If there's somebody better, then play him, but I'll never retire from the National Team. I probably won't be necessary in the next couple of years after the World Cup."

Can I get an Amen?

Kasey Keller is the best player ever to wear a US jersey.

7. UChicagoSoccer

UChicagoSoccer New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Wasn't Bruce's quote that Keller would lose his spot only if he fell out of a window. So I'm not sure if getting hit by a bus would count... just patch up the ribs... make sure one leg and arm are working... and ask the ref if crutches can be used to block the ball. :D

8. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

I don't know about calling Friedel. If I were Bruce (and I'm not) I'd be happy with Marcus as a #2...hell I'd be happy with him as a #1.

But to all those Reading fans who haven't seen Kasey Keller play lately...I know Hahnemann has been lights out this year but Keller has been completely out of this world...his performances against Costa Rica and Panama in that short stretch of qualifying were more than just incredible...they were completely demoralizing to the opponent. There was the one header in the Costa Rica game that half the Costa Rican team was already celebrating the goal, and Keller kept it out. I'll never forget that play...

You can make an argument otherwise surely, but I'll take Keller in current form not only over Marcus, but over any keeper in the world. Period.

9. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    It's definitely no offense to Marcus, who has really turned it on this season, but Keller is without a doubt #1. I totally agree with the sentiment that Marcus is the solid #2 though, I don't see any way you could rank Howard ahead of him right now.

There's many, many teams in the world that would be happy to have Marcus in goal.

10. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I am as big a Marcus fan as they come.
    And I'm not a huge Keller fan. By the way, to you Reading fans that don't know, Keller has a sort of cult hero status... yes he's a remarkable keeper, but he gets godlike status from some fans (including some writers)... and a lot of that goes back to his being LEFT OFF teams while he was with Millwall.

And yet even I know there really isn't any competition for the #1 shirt.
    If healthy it will be Keller in goal.

Personally I think we'd do just fine with Marcus there, and would love to see him get a game, but I think he'll have to settle for the deputy spot.

Again a huge fan of Marcus and I think he's a tremendous keeper - definitely Premiership quality.... but he won't start if Keller is healthy.

11. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    They also have it wrong by acting like Convey is a definite starter. Last I knew left wing was Beasley's and unless he switches to the right for the WC (which he might) I don't see Convey starting.

12. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    And don't forget Leed's Eddie Lewis who is an option there and often been ahead of Convey in the depth chart.

Convey is having a GREAT season - definitely his best as a professional.
    But that doesn't mean he's a starter (though I think he'll see significant minutes if his form continues) as he plays what is arguably the USA's 2nd strongest position.

13. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Yep, but it seems likely Lewis will be at left back.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcus is another guy for whom the WC is coming a year too early. If it was in 2007, he'd have a year of Premiership action on his resume, and Keller would be a year older, and maybe Hahnemann would be preferred.

As it is he has no chance. He'll probably start the 3rd game in group play if we have 6 points or 0 points. Ahead of Tim Howard, cuz I think Bruce will want to send Tim a message about the costs of sitting on the bench and collecting fat paychecks.

15. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahnemann may be in better form... its just as people have said, theres Keller. Keller is more experienced, and is in good form as well in the Bundesliga.

I just think it comes down to the fact that Keller is more proven.

I do think hes probably playing his way to #2 status.

16. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    I don't dare disagree with the general sentiment on this thread, certainly KK is a clear #1. But at KK's age things can fade awfully fast. That game against Scotland.....well....I thought on a number of his kicks KK looked almost wooden. It scared me a bit. He appeared to be aging before my eyes.

I'm gonna need a coat of armor for the brickbats.

When they are both gone how long will it take for us to remember just how fortunate we've been with Brad and Kasey manning the nets for our Nats? What a legacy.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Distribution has never been KK's long suit.

Marcus' distribution in the Guatemala game was bad,but may have been due to playing with different guys who were not realizing where he was going with the ball.

18. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    Yeah, I know. But it wasn't the results, it was the physical form displayed. I tried picturing in my head how K looked doing it years ago; I just couldn't call up the imagery.

Still, no way could matters decline so fast that Marcus will leap to #1 before Germany.

My son's name is Keller, but no he was not named after Kasey. Maybe that'll get him to watch more soccer with me this summer.

19. RoyalMan

RoyalMan New Member

May 18, 2002
    Reading
    It's not just about form. MH is simply one of the best keeper's we've ever had and has been consistently brilliant ever since we signed him. IMO he's probably in the top 10 keeper's in England.

20. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    And IMO, Keller's probably in the top 10 keeper's in the world.

21. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree with that. He's been the main reason for a serious change in fortunes at 'Gladbach. He's well recognized in the BL for his achievements. He's clearly the best keeper in this Federation, and he could challenge for the best keeper in this Hemisphere. I'd say it's no stretch to call him a Top 10.

22. jaradvary

jaradvary New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    below libe slope
    I know this isn't a Convey thread (hah!), but...

Wahoo you say this kind of thing alot: "Convey has been really really good, really I like him I do! but he's probably not going to start for the US and Lewis is likely ahead of him on the depth charts." Unfortunately this stuff is just as bad as the kind of unwarranted, blindly pro-Convey advocacy that was a constant feature of this board last year. Perhaps its worse, because sometimes it seems like you are actively rooting against an American player. Just as pro-Convey posters last year made arguments while ignoring the large body of evidence showing that Bobby was playing badly and the coach wasn't at fault for not playing him etc, you seem now to be ignoring the large body of evidence that Convey has been one of the top players in the league this year. Most observers, most technical measures, most of the evidence, all point to the conclusion that Convey has been much better than Lewis—not that Lewis hasn't been a good player, he simply hasn't performed as well as Convey has. When you add to this Arena's all too well-known personal inclinations towards Bobby, its hard to imagine any situation besides injury which could see Eddie ahead of BC on the depth chart for left wing. Its probable that Arena sees Convey's good season as a vindication of his own unwavering faith and loyalty, not to mention his investment of time and caps into the player. I'd be very suprised (barring injury, knock on wood) if Convey doesn't start from the very first whistle against the Czechs. He'll play on the left with Beasley pushed to the right or up top; or he'll play as a central attacking midfielder, or as a left wingback in a 3-5-2, but he will play.

edit: apologies for the threadjack and the pedantry :eek:

23. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And more importantly the best keeper in our WC group.

24. jaradvary

jaradvary New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    below libe slope
    I wouldn't say all that :eek:
    Buffon and Cech are currently the only competitors in a two-person contest for the title of 'best keeper in the world'. But our group is undoutably the 'Group of Goalkeeper-Death'. I agree that Kellers in the world's top 10, and maybe top 5, on current form.

(quick exercise: who else is better than Keller going into the World Cup? Casillas by reputation, although hes made at least one horrendous blunder this season; no to Dida, not on current form, not after Liverpool; Van der Sar is something of a wash, since hes maybe not got the absurd range he had just 2 years ago, but like Keller he captains his national team; Robinson I can't honestly judge, since I haven't seen him play more than once since the Argentina game; Kahn? have I missed any of the usual suspects? I like Gomes of PSV for 2010, but not 06. Argentina don't have a good keeper, really. My knowledge starts to wane here. Lehmann has certainly been excellent every time I've watched him, particularly coming out for the ball. Keller's distribution is actively poor. But his shot stopping is up with the very best.)

25. Repoman

Repoman New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Seattle
    Ah, it appears that Bruce has done his homework on Czech defensive strategies.