Calling all Investors...

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Looper121, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    In a vacuum, I agree. But MLS is not in a vacuum -- it's in a world loaded with the Big 4 sports plus minor league baseball, minor league hockey, indoor lacrosse, outdoor lacrosse, arena football, indoor soccer, team tennis, pro softball, etc. (not to mention college sports). Traditional style soccer names help MLS teams cut through the noise and have a soccer identity -- if FC Dallas does well, I predict more of this type of naming.

2. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt seriously that non-soccer fans will become converted because of a team name.
    If anything, they will see it as a pathetic attempt to emulate euro soccer teams, which is what it is.

3. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    You've missed my point. This has nothing to do with non-soccer fans. It has to do with trying to make sure that soccer fans become MLS fans. If you're not seeing a theme in terms of the formation of SUM, the outreach to Chivas and Club America and the name FC Dallas, you are not paying attention.

4. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you said that naming teams this way makes mls stand out among other American sports teams. Therefore it does have to do with non-soccer fans.
    I'm paying attention, are you?

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, it'll just give purpose to flipping everyone else off.
    :D

And people thought it was appropriate that the CoreStates Center became the FU Center.....

6. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    For better or worse the people who most need to be convinced to support MLS in Philadelphia is the Dark Horse crowd. And as we all know they are the hardest to get. But IMHO they would form the core of whatever supporters' club springs up around here and therefore the league ought to give them what they want if and when possible

7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's sacrilige!!!!!

If we can get the corrupt politicians and unions ousted from the city through all of this I'm on board! :)

8. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Screw that! :) I like taking my car and tailgaiting. It takes less time to get in and out too.

9. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If all that's keeping soccer fans away from MLS is the names, that's pathetic.

10. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    It is what is keeping a number of fans away, and yes it is pathetic.

11. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The name change doesn't change the product on the field nor does it change the way the teams are run, so that is shortsighted.

12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very true, but sometimes 'Eurosnobs' can be unreasonable in their opinions about MLS...

13. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you implying the name could be the "FU Birds?"

Actually, that in and of itself might be a successful marketing tool in the Philadelphia area :p

14. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, you've got to get them through the door anyway you can......

15. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which roads do you take? evry time I drive I just end up swearing at people...

16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to pick the right parking lot exit and find the roads around the warehouses that no one really takes. The right parking space helps and so dpes getting there early. I live in Jersey so I really don't have a problem and transit from my area would be a massive pita.

When I see the Flyers or Phillies, I park at the Linc in an easy out spot, head to Front and then get on 76 for the bridge from there. When I go to the Linc I park in the CBP lot and exit through the east exit and head to Front to get to the bridge. It's not always quick, but usually painless.

17. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the original MLS names were embarassing. Fortunately, the Wiz elongated their name after a year, the Clash changed to something a little more traditional (for San Jose, anyway), and the Mutiny just went away.

As hideous as all those names (and kits) were, it never kept me from an MLS game.

If people really say with a straight face that they won't support, say, NY/NJ because they don't like the name "MetroStars," well, then, shame on them. They are idiots.

As much as I'm for traditional (or historic) nicknames, neither the change to Earthquakes or a couple of championships have helped that team out much. We'll see what the "F.C." does in Dallas.

18. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    How about Philadelphia Atomic.

I always that would be a wonderful name for a Philly soccer team.

19. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Dark Horse Crowd?

20. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Local soccer Pub.

21. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Soccer fans who have a notorious reputation for not only being apathetic towards American soccer but actively not wanting anything to do with it. I called them on more than a few occasions last year and the year before asking if they would show a USNMT game and they refused. So I took my money to Tir Na Nog.

I have heard that there is an Irish place on Penn's campus that is considering showing more soccer. When I get back up there I will check it out and let everyone know. I suspect it might be cheaper than Tir Na Nog and we could probably get some good crowds there.

22. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretentious ********ers.

23. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Goes hand in hand with being a fan of Man Utd.

24. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Rep for both of you.

25. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Is this bar owned and patronised by americans? Europeans?

Or is this some eurosnob hangout?