Calling all Crocketteers!! (IDEA SUBMISSION THREAD)

Discussion in 'Crocketteers' started by CagedMonky, Jun 18, 2009.

1. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    http://www.crocketteers.com/2009/06/18/calling-all-crocketteers/

2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I can't actively contribue to the said events at the moment (being in Maryland makes it kinda hard), I do belive that "pub meetings" and say a monthly pick up match on a Saturday would be good first steps in the organization.

Nobody will take the group seriously unless the group itself is solid first. Those that are willing to start from day one should be the ones willing to get these things going. They don't have to be big events, but they do need to happen. That way, when things/word start getting out the people that look in can see that the group is a whole dedicated to a larger purpose.

I strongly feel that meeting at a pub for certain matches (or just for shooting the shit) and having a monthly (or whatever) pick up match would be a perfect way to start. These are two things that the majority would probably do anyway. Put it to a bigger cause.

From there I feel that doing these things would lead to an actual "official" event of the same nature. Buy a tiny radio spot or internet ad that has a "match watching event hosted by the Crocketteers" or "local pick up soccer hosted by the Crocketteers" ..... get the legs under, and then use them to walk a bit.

3. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Here's my ideas:

I believe that the most important thing that we have to do is grow in numbers,
    the only thing that I think we have done to grow in numbers is the facebook page.
    But we want to give people something that will keep them active with the Crocketteers.

What can the Crocketteers give to people:
    - Soccer kick-arounds and small soccer tournaments.
    The important thing for this is to get permission to play somewhere (keep in mind that there's LOTS of people already playing almost everyday at the Medical Center, right on the corner of Babcock Rd & Merton Minter Dr.)
    - Get together to watch soccer games
    The important thing is to have a place with a nice big screen and most importantly to get cheap beer. If we have those 2 things, everybody will go to it.
    - Road trips to watch professional soccer games
    Is more fun and cheaper to travel in a van/bus full of friends to a soccer game in Austin, Houston or Dallas (Someday we can look into going to Monterrey) than to travel by car.
    The key is to find somebody that owns a van/bus or to work out a good deal with a bus company to take us and bring us back.
    - The last thing, promotion, work out a deal with a company that makes banners to get at least one Crocketters.com banner and just like in a professional game, put the banner up on the side for everybody to see. The more people that see it, the better.
    I'd try to do the exact same thing at whatever bar is picked to watch the games, put a nice sign/poster up and let everybody know that the group that is there is the Crocketters.

And for the soccer tournaments (when we have lots of people to organize a soccer tournament) charge everybody as little as possible BUT charge them to make the "Crocketters Soccer Tournament" t-shirt that we would give them to promote the group.

The important thing is to give people something to keep them excited about getting together with the Crocketteers "again".
    In the future, once the group is doing good, we should get in contact with the indoor places that hold soccer tournaments, for example http://www.aztecindoorsoccer.com/ and ask them if they can put up a Crocketteers banner on their walls.

Why is all of that important?
    In politics, if you don't show "the numbers" nobody will listen to you.
    Instead, if you show that the organization has X number of members, people are more likely to listen to you.

4. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    My wife works for clear channel radio in particular Sports Radio Ticket 760... :p

5. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    An idea I'm already implementing was to get in contact with the new mayor. He accepted my friend request on facebook as did his brother Joaquin Castro (State Rep). I've invited them to join our facebook group. Once I hear from them, maybe I can talk to him at the very least through email about the subject of pro soccer in our city.

Kyle also is working on getting with former Mayor Ed Garza.

6. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    I think the easiest thing to do would be to pick a place to watch 1 soccer game every Saturday.

7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'm talking about :)

8. Sandman

Sandman Member

Apr 27, 1999
    San Antonio,TX, USA
    I think one idea that can help bring awareness to the group, watch parties, pick-up games, etc. is to look into starting a weekly or biweekly email newsletter, sort of like Jen Cooper does with Keeper Notes for the Houston area.

The newsletter provides information such as weekly events, local games/tournaments, soccer related job openings, etc. It is sent out to local soccer associations and soccer related businesses. It may be directly increase participation but at least it will help connect the local soccer community.

9. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Start posting Twitter updates for your blog posts. All bloggers are doing that now and it makes it easier for people with a passive interest with SA soccer to keep tabs.

10. dberch

dberch New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    My friends and I have used vuvuzelas at college football games before and I feel like when SA does get their team, we need to have as many horns as possible. http://www.soccerhorn.com/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpXN8BvGp_o"]YouTube - Blow that Vuvuzela[/ame]

11. dberch

dberch New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    How about putting on a weekend soccer camp for little kids? Doesn't have to be fancy, just a field, soccer balls, water, oranges, and a Crocketteers shirt for them? Charge 10 bucks a kid? Could be a good way to get noticed in the community and you could ask the media to come out and cover it.

12. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Now that the US beat Spain in semifinal and is gonna play the final of the Confederations Cup vs the winner of Brazil-SouthAfrica...
    I think it would be a good game to try to get some people to watch an exciting game.

The Brazil-South Africa game is tomorrow (Friday)... so I'm guessing that the Final is gonna on Sunday around 1-2pm

13. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Still lots of good soccer to be watched this month... some first times (friends of mine) had a good time and want to get together for future matches (MLS, gold cup, etc)... Maybe the Sounders vs Chelsea match or the AC Milan matches here in the US.

14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Madrid/DC United match might be worth looking into as well .... With Kaka/Ronaldo slated to play it could be a good focal point for "soccer interest"

15. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Here's the Gold Cup schedule
    http://www.goldcup.org/page/GoldCup/Schedule/0,,12802,00.html

I don't know if "Lion & Rose" has FoxSportsenEspanol,
    that channel is gonna show the game Velez-Huracan from the argentinian league on Sunday at 3:00pm.

It's guaranteed to be a good game, because it's pretty much a final.
    It's the last game of the season and there's only 1 point difference between the 1st place (Huracan-38pts) and the 2nd place (Velez-37pts)
    Besides that, Huracan hasn't won the championship since 1973.

Here's some info about the game
    http://goal.com/en/news/585/argenti...do-gareca-clash-between-huracan-velez-will-be

16. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    I would like to start planning for a non soccer watching meeting for the folks who want to discuss strategy of growing the group. These ideas can be discussed there.

I'm looking to talk about:
    1. getting business cards
    2. networking with key individuals (city leaders, spurs; jhope has great knowledge about the inner workings of our city)
    3. getting shirts and a sign made for a road trip to austin and houston
    4. maybe trying to talk more with Lion & Rose management/ownership as far as sponsoring our group (their logo on our website, ours on their website, professional looking fliers at all locations, and maybe even nice and appealing smaller versions of banners or flags they can display)... I figure we have a big group and we keep growing that they want to be associated with us so we have future watch parties and go there as our pub of choice. That can definitely pay off for them when SA does get a team.

17. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here I go helping out the would be enemy, just FYI WHEN El Camino Real Clasico becomes a reality u wont be seeing me on these threads EVER again in a peacfull manner :rolleyes::D.

If you cabrones know whats good for you you should adopt this as your official SG anthem, it's short but EXTREMELY POWERFULL after all look who's singing it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ZZQp41I6U&feature=related"]YouTube - Johnny Cash - Remember the Alamo[/ame]

18. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela

Sounds like everybody took a weed eater to the stadium

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58Pne8K41A"]YouTube - dinlo with strimmer[/ame]

20. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
  21. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    James had the idea of getting business cards with our group name ..... You think we can chip in money to order like a 1000 cards?

22. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    NEXT WEEK Lets meet (non soccer watching event) to talk shop.

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a "short" flyer would be more appropriate at the moment rather than an actual business card. In this stage in development at least.

Of course, depending on what you want to represent, the business card might be cheaper to produce.

Just a thought though.

24. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    it cost me 17 dollars for 60 fliers (color). they went fast and probably got over 35% return on those. our numbers since the fliers on facebook have gone from 55 to 80

25. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's actually not bad :)

In that case, the only thing I'd hold out on for the business card, is the final decision on the crest. That HAS to be on any "official" type of advertising.