Calling all Americans, where are you staying in Germany 2006?

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by upperninety, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The venues have already been selected. Cologne (Koln) is one site, I remember, and Leverkusen withdrew from competition. I will stay in Cologne if I go. One thing to note- for some reason, train tickets in and out of Frankfurt are 50% more expensive than to/from other cities for the same distance.

2. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 of us going. We plan on staying at least part of the time in Munich. Also have a friend that owns a resort in the Swiss Alps that I might visit for a couple days.

3. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it will be a problem actually.
    Due to some misguided tax breaks Germany way overbuilt hotels all over the country though mostly in the east.
    Plus with those great autobahns you can get around the country pretty easily or there are tons of train options.
    Stay in the center somewhere (Hanover, Madgeburg) etc any you can get anywhere.

4. mannellaice

mannellaice New Member

May 8, 2001
    KC, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, those accents are eine schlampe

and if you don't know where you want to stay, perhaps stick to the western part, there are more venues there than in the east.

I hopefully will be studying abroad in the summer of 2006, that would be so great...only paying for one flight, not worrying about hotels and whatnot. I'd just have to devise great ways to tell my professors that I can't come to class cause I'm really only in Germany for the WC.

5. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    Kaiserslautern is one of the 10 venues, so you are in luck!

Friend of mine is an ex-pat from Niedernhausen (near Wiesbaden) so that's where we're staying.

One thing to consider, if you haven't been over there is the size. The two venues farthest away from each other (Hamburg and Munchen) are 500 miles apart. Or a day's drive. (think "autobahn"!)

If you didn't have family or friends to stay with, I'd say shoot for the Koln area. Mainly because 5 of the venues are within a 100 mile radius (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund, Koln, Frankfurt, and Kaiserslautern.)

As far as ticketing, FIFA announced a while back that they were going to sell, I guess what I would consider the equivalent of a season ticket for a country. A ticket that guarantees you a seat in every game that that country plays in. All the way up to the Final game! Sounds neat, if it works. (I hope that's the case because I would naturally assume that we'd all be sitting together!!!) Tickets were reported to start going on sale in Feb 2005.

It's going to be awesome. I CANNOT wait! Never been to a WC out the US. My friend says that, when Germany is playing, you could lay down in the middle of Main Strasse in any town . . . literally everyone will be busy watching the game.

6. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Not sure if this isn't timely enough (given you asked this in May), but this is the site that I like the best for the venues.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/d/

I'm looking to being adopted by someone who has friends/relatives in Germany. Able to pay my own way.

7. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    From my time in Germany I can tell you this.

Best Western right outside of Munich, perfect. Cheap as hell and all you can eat breakfast buffet that is out of this world good!

8. antikreis

antikreis Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    K-Town is actually one of the sites for games. From K-Town you are also easy driving or train distance from Cologne, Dortmund, Gelsenkirchen, Frankfurt and Stuttgart. Plus with Stuttgart you can get TLF.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/d/

Antikreis, unfortunately just about to leave Germany

9. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting for the game schedule before thinking much about where to stay. I do have friends and relatives in Bayern, Schwartzwald, and Wien - which will also affect our schedule.

10. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    i have friends in bochum and dresden so hopefully there will be close host cities that will hold US games(that is if we do qualify) dortmund is the closest host city to bochum i believe, not sure which host city is closest to dresden.