Call Musa and Balogun for the Wales friendly .... then complain when England caps them

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ghost, Oct 24, 2020.

1. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    True, but I don't think that a lack of talent has been the problem...

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    In fact, England has a lot of youth talent too.
    I mean, Tammy Abraham, Calvert-Lewin, Foden, Sancho, Bellingham, Mount, Rice, Saka etc. are all 23 or younger.
    They have all sorts of intriguing youngsters with their U21s like their own potential dual-national capture Musiala of Bayern.

So this notion that Musah may prefer the USMNT because its a younger group may not hold any water.
    England has an exciting young group too.

Berhalter must think that he has a good chance of capturing him for the USMNT.
    He started in him in the two games with Euro players we've had over the last calendar year.
    If he thought it was "long shot," then he may not have done that.
    He may have started Ledezma of PSV or somebody of that ilk instead.

We don't have THAT MANY games with Euro players before the start of WCQing in June.
    He wouldn't have wasted the opportunity. We have the March window, the Nations League semi and maybe final......................and that's it.

3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    England has slowed played him to youth teams. Even in Southgate's recent comments, it is clear that they don't necessarily see a senior team slot right now given their talent.

We're offering him games now, starting now, and a very strong chance to be starting in Qatar.

Girt, Marko72 and CyphaPSU repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure. And that actually makes sense seeing as he's only 17.
    He hadn't played a professional first team game until September.

Maybe if England had meaningless friendlies in this window instead of League of Nations games, they'd have considered calling him up too.
    I don't know.

What I do know is that the USMNT had the luxury of meaningless friendlies that they could use in order to pursue/recruit dual-nationals. it wasn't just Musah. Ledezma is being courted by mexico. Soto is being courted by Chile. Otasowie, Odunze, the list goes on. Gioacchini is being courted by Jamaica. de la Fuente is eligible for Spain. Llanez is eligible for Mexico. Cardoso is eligible for Brazil. Reyna is still eligible for a bunch of nations. We get the point.

gogorath repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Soto was pretty clear that he's committed to the USA when he turned down his callup for Chile's WCQs.

Gioacchini has expressed his admiration for Donovan, Dempsey and Altidore, yes Altidore, and said its his dream to represent the USA.

He also acknowledged Berhalter for calling him out of the blue to talk about the MNT.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Right. But these were all players being pursued by other national teams.
    We could have called in Aron Johannsson, for instance, who's excelling right now for Hammarby.
    Instead we called up players with lesser resumes. If we don't call these dual-nationals up, then maybe their eyes will have started to turn. You can only wait so long for an opportunity.........................

None of them are cap-tied anyway. They can all, including Musah, play for other national teams.
    Some of them are provisionally cap-tied after playing with us in the last U20 cycle (Ledezma, Llanez, Soto, etc.).

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eire manager Stephen Kenny is about to learn the downside of playing dual nationals.

He played an anti-English propaganda video before Ireland's game in England last week to motivate his players.

Unfortunately he didn't seem to know his audience. A third of his squad are English, the rest live in England, several with English partners.

The players took offense and have reported him to the Football Association of Ireland and he faces being fired tomorrow.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    That is hilarious.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Reyna quote:

I’ve played against them a few times with the youth national team and he was always a good player,” Reyna said. “I mean, there’s a reason he’s playing for Valencia every week. He’s a big player and one of the best 02’s in the world, I’d say.

“This is a really personal decision for him. So for me, and the rest of the guys, we can’t say much. Of course, we’d love to have him here and I see him being a big part of our team going forward. But, like I said, it’s wherever he feels closest to the heart, and hopefully, it’s here. We’ve had a good time with him and he’s a great guy. We got to know him well, so we’ll just have to see what happens nex
    t

Girt and CyphaPSU repped this.
  10. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Musah chooses us I don’t think it’s because we have a better young core than England.

I think it’s because:

1. Our young core is large enough to envision being competitive at the World Cup level during his career.
    2. But it is small enough that he’s unlikely to get crowded out.
    3. There aren’t established vets that would block him from immediate playing time.

Going with England means he risks being like Rossi, who didn’t make Italy’s 2010 squad. But unlike Rossi, the USMNT of 2022-2030 is potentially much more promising than the 2010-2018 versions.

gogorath, Magikfute and USSoccerNova repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FCD with a killer tweet today. :) Reminding us that Balogun has represented the US. :)

NietzscheIsDead, TxEx and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Marko72 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    What's this got to do with usa

14. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    he was born in New York and is currently eligible for USA, England (whom he represents at youth level) and Nigeria

Girt and Marko72 repped this.
  15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I read about it but there's no way he will go with usa over England

16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    So hes committed to England now. Anymore English qualified players u want to snap up?

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's not permanently cap-tied to England, and the US is recruiting him hard. Brian McBride, the USMNT technical director, is on the case. Until he is permanently cap-tied, we'll keep talking about him on these boards.

United States hot on the trail of Arsenal starlet Folarin Balogun
    https://www.teamtalk.com/news/united-states-hot-on-trail-arsenal-starlet-folarin-balogun

Girt and Marko72 repped this.
  18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    You've in no way guaranteed musah yet. He hasn't made any definitive decision

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Of course not. We haven't suggested that we have him yet.
    He's in play, or he wouldn't have accepted the call up to the recent USMNT camp.
    Owen Otasowie of Wolves also isn't cap-tied yet. He's also England eligible, and his reputation is increasing.

Girt and roverman repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Well, if you've read about it, I suppose that's done.

Girt repped this.
  21. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean coming from a poster who thinks other nations' cap tying players is despicable, I see no shock in your reply.

Girt repped this.
  22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Did Balogun and Musah play on the same English national teams? If Musah is leaning towards the USA, could he influence Balogun?

You look at a front five of Reyna, Pulisic, Musah, McKennie and Adams, that’s an impressive group. Just need that killer center forward and Balogun could be the guy.

edcrocker and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  23. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Technically I think even Reyna would still be eligible for England.

24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Reyna actually likely was never actually eligible.

25. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He was born in England. The Home Office could give him a British passport whenever they like.

roverman repped this.