Call Jim Smith

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew SC' started by suspenders1964, Nov 2, 2003.

1. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    I just called Jim Smith at 614-447-4150.

I gave my name, told him that I was calling concerning the poor showing this season by the Crew. I told him I was a season ticket holder in 2000(I was) and was considering getting them for this upcoming year, but that I would most likely not get them if Andrulis' extension was picked up.

I told him that I believed Greg Andrulis' mismanagment of the team and game situations was a large part of what went wrong this year.

I told him that I and most Crew fans I know feel that, from HSG all the way down to the Crew front office, they don't care about us. They don't care what we fans feel should be done. I reminded him that I control the almighty dollar and that if they didn't take what we fans feel to heart, they will not be seeing as many almighty dollars next year.

I also told him that I am friends with some of the folks in 137 and that they are furious about the prospect of picking up Andrulis' extention. Next year they will continue to voice their opinions through banners and songs such as they did at the last game.

I told him being 2 of 10 teams not to make the playoffs isn't a badge of honor by any standard.

I also questioned the time of the Williams transfer trading a player who was as aquainted with our defense as anyone to bring in a player to provide leadership who has no knowledge of the team's style of play nor of the players on our team.

I thanked him for his time and told him he along with HSG would be receiving a formal letter from me voicing my concern.

We don't deserve this *#*#*#*#. We owe it to yourselves.

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Beacon, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did ya talk to him in person, or get the voicemail.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll think about calling him, but I'm not sure I could be civil.

I used to think he had done a good job, and even kind of liked the guy (despite the dorky mustache) but if he isn't bright enough to see that keeping Andrulis is not just a six month wait-and-see deal but rather a decision which will still be dragging the team down in 2007, then I really can't think of what I'd say.

Is "imbecile" still considered impolite?

This is MY team, not his. In a year or two or three he'll get the job offer he wants from NASCAR or the NHL or whoever and he'll pack up his car, say a few words to Crewboy about how "great" these years were and how much he "loves" Columbus and the Crew, and then drive off into the sunset and, except for an occasional glance at the agate type, never give a crap again.

I'll still be out there in the *#*#*#*#in freezing rain, and the wind, waiting for the weak-kneed, no-balls decisions he's making today to magically transform themselves into something other than the mediocrity they have always been.

Get out, Jim. Go. The Minnesota Twins or Miami Heat must need an obsequious, party-line-mouthing, career-padding non-entity to peddle their tickets. I'd be happy to write a letter of recommendation for you.

Just leave us alone.

4. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    Ever wonder how much power Smith actually has to hire/fire coaches?

I tend to think he has about...ohhhh....zero. I think those decisions are made at HSGHQ

5. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Who fired Fitz?

6. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not believe that Jim Smith can fire Greg Andrulis. I DO believe that he has considerable input. Clark Hunt and John Wagner certainly have to sign off on any such move, but I strongly believe that if Smith were on the phone, screaming and pounding the desk, he'd be listened to.

And while we're on the subject, whatever happened to "We're going to wait a few weeks to let the emotions of the season dissipate before making any decisions"?

Seems like this one was made about ten minutes after the season. I think you can make a case that Smith has said one thing and then done another.

And if your posit is true, that Smith has in fact "zero" to say about it, then why does he say otherwise? Why does he say he will "evaluate" Andrulis along with everyone else if he has nada to do with it?

And if he's been telling the truth, then we are forced to conclude that Greg's "evaluation" has been completed. So when will he share it with us?

Like I said, I used to respect the job he's done here, but frankly he is pretty close to just flat-out lying at this point.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a marketing guy, right?

Why not the Expos? They need some marketing help. Well, help in several areas, but marketing wouldn't be bad start.

8. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Funny how MLS fans are in the dark over how the team is run and whose job it is to do what.

9. Follow Forest

Follow Forest New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Congratulations. You should be proud of yourself. You've summed up the entire season in a few short paragraphs and come up with a solution to boot.

Brilliant.

I'm sure Jim Smith didn't get the message at the Chicago game and he's not even aware how disappointed the fans feel.

Not saying you don't have the right to do this, because you do, but if I were on the other end of the phone, one word would resonate through my mind.

pathetic.

10. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Burgess did mention the "Sack Andrulis" sign in the North End during the second half.

BTW, was there some fighting in the stands during the match in regard to this sign?

11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Call Jim Smith

Funny - that's the same word that comes to mind whenever I read one of your posts.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    those two events were unrelated. the fight has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum.

13. Follow Forest

Follow Forest New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: Call Jim Smith

Nice reply. It's substantive and addresses my comment on the original post.

When you make your mind up about calling Jim Smith, be sure to let us all know. We're on the edge of our seats because we care deeply......

14. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Ok, I'm still catching up on my reading.

15. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Fight Fight Fight!

16. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    One of the Hunts....Smith just got to deliver the message.

That's not to say, as Bill surmised, that Smith doesn't have input.

Here's what I envision:

Smith: Hey, I think we should get rid of Andrulis, it's really going to make it difficult to market the team with him involved.

Hunts: Why? Are the fans revolting?

Smith: There was a few fans in the North End putting up a sign saying to sack him in our last match.

Hunts: Sack? Andrulis is a man, of course he has a sack.

Smith: Ummmm...

Hunts: Listen...until there are 10,000 paper bag wearing fans, we don't have an issue. You still outdraw Kansas City.

Smith: That won't happen much longer. You need to give me something to work with here!

Hunts: You have McBride, what else do you need?

Smith: A roof?

Hunts: Start selling the place out and you'll get a roof.

Smith: Seriously, the team underachieved, and we need something to help us sell tickets.

Hunts: Well, if Greg decides to start wearing chinzy realtor cologne like Fitzgerald, then we'll talk...I can't stand that stuff...had to fire him that day.

Smith: Hmmmm.....

17. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

turkey bacon with swiss
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a couple extra long-distance super soakers, anybody have a pint (or drum, caraffe, or whatever) of chinzy realtor cologne?

18. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Call Jim Smith

OK fine, you didn't like the "blowoff the imbecile" answer, then I'll give you the "here's why what you're saying is just stupid" answer.

Hope you like it better:

What should a citizen do when the government is embarking upon a policy you oppose? You contact your representatives, by mail, phone or fax, to tell them how you feel. IA relative handful of letters and calls has been known to sway crucial votes on major legislation.

When a company sells you a faulty product or service, what should you do? Contact them directly, let them know you have a problem. They practically beg you to do so because they want their customers satisfied.

So how come you feel that Sports Executives are above hearing from their customers? In an age when "write your Congressman" is practically axiomatic, why is it that you feel Jim Freakin Smith is too elevated a personage to have to waste his valuable time in contact with his customers?

Frankly, you're just stone cold, 100% completely wrong here, and I'll bet you dinner that Jim Smith would be the first to agree.

And if he doesn't. if he feels that direct contact with the people he spends his life selling to is beneath him, then frankly, if he worked for me I'd fire him.

Feel better now? It's too bad you're so bloody ignorant that stuff like this has to be explained to you, but you came around here all on your own, cowboy.

19. Follow Forest

Follow Forest New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    How's it feel to be the clubhouse leader in "missed the point"?

So sorry you had to waste all of your precious time explaining something that's obvious. Had you read my original post with even a first grade level of reading comprehension, you would have realized that I don't have a problem with anyone contacting Jim Smith and expressing an opinion albeit an obvious one (although placing that in the same context as an expressed opinion to a government or corporate official may be going a little too far).

I was commenting on what Jim Smith might think Captain Obvious' remarks. Maybe pathetic was too strong. How about....Duh?

Jim has to be polite and he's charged with listening to the criticism. Comes with the territory and I understand that. What irritated me is the fact that someone's got to claim this action on these boards in more words than:

"I expressed my displeasue and disappoint to Jim Smith today. He responded by saying_______."

Wouldn't that have been enough instead of nine paragraphs about how you're the next Rosa Parks?

This was never directed at you and you chose to insert yourself. Good for you.

And Bill...thanks for the cowboy reference. I was wondering how many posts it would take for you resort to name calling. You didn't disappoint.

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) I don't know about being the clubhouse leader, but your IQ apparently made the turn three or four under par.

2) If you want to get your thong all knotted up over the word "cowboy" BMG, pal. If what you're really looking for is some sort of "smack off" kind of thing here, your stuff is too lame to be worth my time.

3) Crewpens is a Crew fan and a regular on these boards. He can come around and post whatever he bloody well feels like posting whenever he bloody well feels like posting it and you can shut the *#*#*#*# up.

Thanks for playing "Douchebag of the Day"

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i just don't see smith having as much imput into the resigning/firing of greg as others do.

i honestly think this decision comes from the top; clark hunt is making those kind of decisions and the only way for him to know how the fans are feeling is to call clark himself...so find the number for HSG and give them a ring, b/c honestly...i don't think it is jim's decision in the long run.

i still don't know why the hell they are keeping greg, if anyone can get that answer from clark let me know...

22. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Wellllllllllll. Ain't this just Ducky! Now we've got 2 of a small group going at each other.

Can we bring back that great scapegoat, and irrational savior of Crewsers and cheap tarts everywhere, Suckersandy.5 to keep the infighting focused? He's good for at LEAST a 10 page thread of functionless drivel and he made me feel so much more realistic and urbane by comparison.

Bring back the Turkey for Thanksgiving!

We'll have HIM call Jim Smith....or.....not....

23. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Raoul is correct.

If you all gonna pick on someone, might as well be the Crewzers.

24. Follow Forest

Follow Forest New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    CrewToon is correct.

I withdraw.

25. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    sod that