Call in Cunningham for Mexico?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Captain10, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obvious that we're lacking a consistent scorer up top. As players have been tried up top, no one has yet seized the opportunity to become the starter.

While it looks like Davies and Altidore are the current logical pairing, there's another player that is on top of his game right now -- Jeff Cunningham.

Jeff has scored a total of 7 goals in 3 or his last 4 games and that should be enough to raise eyebrows and get him called in for the Mexico game. If we are behind late, it makes sense to have a guy ready that can step on the field, add a spark, and find the back of the net.

Should Jeff be called in for Mexico? Why, or why not?

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't see him being an option for SA at all, but if you believe in using the "hot striker" well, Cunningham certainly is hot and I can't see it hurting much to call him in for the camp and see how he stacks up in training - brief though it will be - against the other forwards.

I don't see it happening as it's just not Bob's MO to do something like this. But I think calling up in form players is a smart play and Cunningham, for all his many faults, is certainly in form right now.

3. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods--why was this thread moved from N&A?

As to the question, absolutely should not be called in. He's a totally known commodity and, clearly, all coaches who have had a say in the matter have decided against Cunningham. He's been in camp and has been highly visible in the MLS. He's known. Besides, being "hot" in the MLS simply does not translate to international hotness. That should be abundantly clear to everyone.

4. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Cunningham is writing too many checks that his body can't cash. He's just too dangerous.

5. omnione

omnione Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Case in point, Conor Casey and the staff even bothered to call him up. **groan**

6. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    We are lacking" what " on top...???? For soccer sake...What are you smoking...USA score two goals with ease on Brasil and Spain...:rolleyes: Now go back and think about your statement about Cunningham a foreign players and come back :cool:

7. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS

8. canikickit82

canikickit82 New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    just because bruce arena and bob bradley havent wanted to play him....doesnt translate to "all coaches...have decided against him"....hes always been a starter on every single mls team hes been on...thus, there have been a lot of (the vast majority) coaches who have sided "for him".....he's not a "totally known commmodity" on the national team level, either....he's been in a few camps, yes....but as far as i know has never been allowed to play even 1 full 90 to show what he can do.... even with a b team (which wouldnt be a "fair shot" anyway)....iirc, he was subbed on once or twice very late in a game or two...then summarily dismissed from consideration.....as far as his hotness translating to the international game....he doesnt lack speed like twellman, casey, and to some extent ching all do...so i think his game would translat better than those slower goalscorers.....hes also underrated as a passer too.....his game is also a lot closer to davies and altidore than a lot of the other options, thus the us can continue playing the same style with cunningham in there if for whatever reason altidore and davies cant be on the field....for instance, late in the game when the us is gassed from bunkering and is struggling with possession..... a slow as molasses forward like casey or ching isnt gonna cut it on the counterattack....someone with speed like cunningham or e.johnson has a much better chance at producing something positive running at tired defenses.

9. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Ed Johnson ....?:rolleyes:

10. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched any MLS matches this season, but if the guy is hot then of course he should be brought in. Doesn't translate into starting, but he can be that threat on the bench especially when Mexico starts pushing for the win late in the second half and his speed can catch the defense up too far to push it for a one on one with the keeper and bury the goal and the US walks out with the win. Yeah, bring him in.

11. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - referencing Eddie Johnson doesn't really support the argument... been there, done that... didn't work.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I was at the game on Saturday.

Cunningham was OK, but the KC defense was an abomination of biblical proportions. They didn't have Jimmy Conrad, and without him they were SOL.

It was great that Cunningham scored 4 goals...........but he was gifted three of them.

Calling him up to Mexico based on that one game would be a miscalculation of his abilities.......the limitations of which we've known for over ten years now. He had 4 goals in that game.......but had 4 goals in all of the other games this season combined. That would be 1 goal in every 4 games. Wow, fantastic.

The man is NOWHERE close to the national team. Stop this nonsense already. We're going to start a squad very similar to that which we fielded against Spain in the Confederations Cup. And why the hell not. The only difference could be that instead of calling up Casey, we'll call in Ching.

13. turkas

turkas New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Lawrence
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This!

14. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. You've convinced me. Cunningham and EJ should start against Mexico.

15. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize he had 4 goals in the last game ... but he had 3 goals in the 3 most recent games before that. That means, at least now, that he is hot when it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net.

I haven't seen the quality of those goals, but in Brasil they say, "O que vale e' bola na rede" .. translation: what counts is the ball in the net!

There's no reason to expect at this point that Jeff will (or won't) be in South Africa (should we make it) or starting. But I think you have to give him a look for this specific game at this specific time.

During qualifying, you do what you have to do to have all the weapons you need at your disposal -- no need to look far into the future. We'll cross that bridge when the time is right.

Jeff has skills that some others don't have and that can only complement the forward pool at this point in time.

I say ... Bring him! :)

16. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Cunningham for Azteca? This is a joke thread, right?

18. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the votes, sadly, it isn't.

19. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Wow. Just wow. The fact that you'd even fathom potentially bringing Cunningham to Mexico is laughable. Jozy, Davies and Ching will likey be the (only) ones called in.

20. D.C. UNITED

D.C. UNITED Member

Dec 28, 2005
    maybe not for Aug 12, but maybe if we qualify early I say give him a shot, even though honestly I dont think he has a chance of going to SA, but I've always liked Jeff and wish he would've been given more chances, its never too late but im sure other forwards are way ahead of him

21. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    no. because you haven't played him in years. i thought he should have been starting several years ago but he's been blackballed or didnt' get a shot when he was leading the league in scoring, polotics or whatever. but to do it now is poor timing. He's not going to start over Altidore and davies anyways.

22. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This poll should be made public so the names of the 23 voters who voted, 'yes' shall be etched on a wall of infamy.

23. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cunningham is on a tear in the MLS. If he keeps it up until the end of the season, I can guarantee he can get a look in a late hex qualifier, or at camp cupcake.

But no, I take Altidore and Davies for this match, with Ching on the bench. And if Ching is too ineffective, I would go with EJ on the bench--Another player whom I think will get anoter late hex or winter look.

24. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenny Cooper scored 18 frickin goals in MLS last season and still wasn't sniffing first team playing time. I'll put up money that Cunningham will not be called up by the US.

25. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And 3 more people have voted yes!

It's certifiably insane.