California Storm NWSL

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by toad455, Nov 15, 2019.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Interesting wording on this one...

2. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    all very odd. So the Storm aren't the possible Sacramento NWSL franchise? Or are they? It appears the Sacramento team is close to being announced, so I guess time will tell.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hgmm...
    The Storm usually make social media posts multiple times per week, and yet they've had a grand total of one post over the past fourteen days... Busy with stuff going on in the background, I hope? Make of it what you will.

Am I getting antsy and frustrated for news of any sort? Yes. Yes I am.

4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I'll give it until the end of the month, otherwise the deal isn't getting done in time for the 2020 season. Sacramento may be on hold until 2021 to join Louisville and either Atlanta or Cincinnati. Add three for 2021 and get to 12 teams.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Based on the date Meg estimates the league will kick off next year, today would be 137 days out - which in theory gives Sac about 2.5wks to beat out the short run-up that Houston had.

Unfortunately I don't have a subscription to The Athletic, so if anyone does, I would love to hear a TL;DR of the article.

6. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Still waiting on any news about an NWSL team in Sacramento. Time is ticking, so I'll give them two more weeks or I'd think the deal is off for 2020.

[​IMG]

7. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Unless a miracle happens and things get in place by the end of the week, Sacramento isn't happening for 2020.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, I'm even inclined to think it's already quashed for 2020. The hold-up was the USSF thing, and that kinda needed to get resolved last week if we were to expect anything about Sac for next season.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Lots of reports in the last 24hrs that a Sacramento team is not just likely but official in terms of franchise rights, with the only details left being timing and such. Still many mentions of 2021, which seems odd to me - figuratively and literally, since that would put 2021 at 11 teams. Would make so much more sense for Sac to wait for 2022 and add both Cali teams at the same time.

Anyway, this thread might also need a change of name, as it seems like the involvement of the existing California Storm has been lessened to the point of rendering the WPSL team as mere observers:

Granted, the final "this team" in that Tweet is somewhat ambiguous, as it could be referring to themselves, but I think it's more likely to mean the Republic's expansion effort.

10. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    I do wonder if they'd still play at Papa Murphy's Park where the California Storm play? The Republic play there now and are still waiting to get their SSS deal finalized. The Railyards Stadium is about 99% in place.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Both articles I've read today suggest that the NWSL team will be in the new SSS once that's completed, along with the men's team.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I posted in the Louisville thread earlier about the expansion draft, but just to follow it up with related issues here:

1303468544710107136 is not a valid tweet id

I do think it'd be kinda odd for Sac to wait until 2023 for their new stadium to be ready to begin play since they've been in the picture for so long already, and it's not like the don't have a stadium to use now anyway.

blissett repped this.
  13. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    It seems lately like a lot of MLS expansion teams are forced to play elsewhere until their SSS is ready. So why not a NWSL expansion team?

14. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I'd like to see this team be a sister franchise to Sacramento Republic. So ... Sacramento Democracy?

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    toad455 repped this.
  16. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Any chance Utah is bought by the Sacramento owners and the team relocates?

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A chance? Sure, they're always a chance. But it's highly unlikely, IMO. Most of the chatter at the time of DLH's ousting was treating the entire RSL umbrella as a whole package. Besides, NWSL would be rather dumb to abandon the good thing they have in Utah, with amazing facilities and five-figure attendance numbers. I think the possibility of Sac buying the Royals is only a last-ditch safety net on the slim chance that negotiations concerning the entire Utah Soccer Holdings umbrella get thorny.

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My worry is that whoever buys the Utah MLS team decides they don't want a women's team. Then What?

Hansen may have been an Archie Bunker neanderthal but he did put his money where his mouth is when it came to saving FC Kansas City and keeping many players employed.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I mean, that's exactly what I meant when talking about the Utah Soccer Holdings negotiations getting thorny.

The thing is, a "new owner" won't immediately turn around and sell the team. Why? That's because the NWSL is probably worth less as a separate entity than it is as part of the RSL umbrella. A buyer won't take the whole package and then sell a piece of it at a loss. Also, I'm sure NWSL doesn't want to go through a sale of the team twice. As such, I'm pretty sure that if a buyer doesn't want the women's team, NWSL will make sure it's split off beforehand. I doubt a sale goes through for the entire umbrella unless the buyer intends on keeping everything together. It just seems like a lose-lose proposition for everyone involved if someone buys the entire umbrella than immediately siphons off the Royals.

But now we're getting into a Royals discussion and not a Sacramento discussion, so maybe we should return this topic to the Utah thread.

20. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    If this potential ownership group in Kansas City can't get the Royals, are they next in line for an expansion team(ahead of Sacramento)?

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Complete side thought:
    It took many years for MLS to judge the Sacramento group as ready to promote from USL to MLS. And even though the Sacramento group obviously already has a USL team and a brand associated with it, they are the only one of the four future MLS expansions that do not have their MLS branding ready yet. Which I guess could make sense - why publicize a new brand when you still have another year or two of USL play to go? But still, it makes me wonder exactly how good the organization is at dotting their i's and crossing their t's...

22. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005