California Franchise

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by newsouth, Sep 26, 2011.

1. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know enough about FL but isn't Dallas interested. Are they affiliated with the MLS club? Why FL? MagicDan didn't have good numbers like the Spirit. I don't think he would have had them (good numbers) even if he promoted the team. Central and Latin America along with the Caribbean aren't always fond of women's football. Is Fitz still interested with that stadium in Kennesaw? NWSL is the budget (welfare/food stamp) league he tried to run in the WPS. What about Philly's old owner? I thought Indiana had a good soccer stadium. You know more about this than me.

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Ah yes. I'm hopeful though, that unlike the Aces and Dynamo situation, that the Blues and Galaxy would be able to form some partnership rather than the Galaxy going alone (the Galaxy should want to partner just for Charlie Naimo alone...)

3. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The Blues and strikers have merged in the W-league and from what I understand they are playing on an AEG pitch. seemingly the track/soccer stadium in Carson. with those ties could it be possible that AEG will partner with the new Blues Strikers merger to enter a the W - league side into the NWSL. By having a deal that will have the W league side close to where AEG can keep a close watch to see if it can be successful in the NWSL as Galaxy's sister team?
    Or are there more politics to it

4. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I didn't know this part, just have a feeling the Dash are a test subject for the Galaxy in 2015. And Paulson is about to get served by Morgan after this season. He'll have to hustle a new free playmate for Sinclair.

5. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yes I can definitely see AEG and the Galaxy waiting to see how the Dash will work as an MLS sister club

6. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Why were the Reign chosen over the Sounders for the NWSL seattle bid?
    The Reign do play at Starfire as well. Isn't that the Sounder's practice facility as well?
    Could there be a different model with the MLS team being a partner with the NWSL side but not the full owner? I would think somewhere along the lines that the Reign affiliating itself with the Sounders would be a positive for promotion, visibility, and ticket sales?

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, the Sounders Men use Starfie but don't own it, it's independently run.
    I think the main thing was that Predmore looked like a richer owner than whoever it is that runs the Sounders Women. I don't think the Sounders Men are even a "partner" to the Sounders Women's, I think they just let the women's team use their name. They were partnered (or even owned by the same group? IDR) back when the Sounders Men were a USL side, but ever since their promotion to MLS I think there hasn't been any back-and-forth between the Sounders Men and Sounders Women, and only recently did the MLS side re-adopt the PDL Sounders. Same thing happened with DCU, and I think that's what happened with RSL.
    Affiliation won't happen as long as the current owners of the Sounders Women want to keep their team running; I don't the the MLS Sounders deciding to affiliate with a women's team aside from the one already sharing their name, and I also don't see the current Sounders Women decided to become the Reign's reserve side either.

8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, I think Predmore was supposed to have more solid business "connections" as well, which was supposed to help bring in sponsors.

Yes, they licensed the use of their branding to the women. But don't really do any cross promotion or anything.

Yeah. It probably won't happen, but if the Sounders Women are interested in selling or if the he could convince them to sell, Predmore could buy them and make them into the Reign reserve side. Otherwise they'll just remain competitors, since the Sounders Women still had the best attendance in the W-League other than the Spirit Reserves (who got an attendance bump from doubleheaders with the Spirit).

9. ladyofwh

ladyofwh Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's likely so. Well, I can't wait to see what's to come for LA Blues SC. They've tweeted this recently

"Catch us at StubHub Center this year in doubleheaders with @cdchivasusa and @LAGalaxy along with many more surprises! #happyBluesyear"

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #60 WPS_Movement, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    My latest mock 2015 roster for the L.A. expansion team in NWSL:

Los Angeles
    F - Christen Press (allocated)
    F - Stephanie Ochs (expansion draft)
    F - Renae Cuellar (allocated) (expansion draft)
    F - Katie Stengel (discovery) (played for Pali Blues in 2013)
    MF - Kara Lang (allocated)
    MF - Aya Miyama (international) (Japan)
    MF - McCall Zerboni (expansion draft)
    MF - Katrina Gorry (international) (Australia)
    MF - Dagny Brynjarsdottir (international) (Iceland)
    MF - Dinora Garza (allocated)
    MF - Mariah Nogueira (expansion draft)
    D - Caprice Dydasco
    D - Abby Dahlkemper
    D - Estelle Johnson (expansion draft)
    D - Camille Levin (allocated)
    D - Allison Falk
    D - Carrie Dew
    D - Kaley Fountain
    GK - Bianca Henninger (expansion draft)
    GK - Emily Kruger

[​IMG]

11. ladyofwh

ladyofwh Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice to speculate! Couple things to note - 1) Kaley Fountain is not playing professional soccer anymore. I believe she made this announcement prior 2013 NWSL draft. 2) I don't see Miyama back to the United States anytime soon. 3) Kara Lang? Canadian federation hopes she'll be back to her former form. I am not too sure if she'll be at the level. 4) I wonder if Carrie Dew will play in 2014 NWSL season. Otherwise, I haven't read anything about her in a long time.

Another thing to consider is that Naimo has coached plenty of Pali Blues players who are now on WNT team like Engen, Heath, O'Hara, etc. He also has coached notable college and professional players who passed through the team one time or another.

I would love for Press and Levin to be part of a Los Angeles expansion team. Maybe Hannah Wilkinson of New Zealand could be considered as well.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Well, Kara Lang played for UCLA, so if there's a team that she would want to play for in NWSL, it would be Los Angeles. Vancouver or Toronto are other possibilities in the future. Calgary would be her preferred destination, but I doubt they ever get a team in NWSL.

13. ladyofwh

ladyofwh Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noted. She is a former Bruins player. For now, I am crossing my fingers for LA to be the next expansion team. It would be cool to see a Canadian team, but I don't see such team coming forward in 2015.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    WPS_Movement, Press would have hardly been in Chicago 3 months when you are already ready to take her away from Chi-town.

I know this is for fun, but for me and my sensitive self I see it as this continuing underlying disrespect for the Red Stars by some posters here and the feeling that a "star" like Press is just too good for Chicago and must be in a spotlight town in an MLS stadium like LA so that she can grow her popularity and "star power" and be up there with Alex and Sydney.

Am I right or wrong about this, WPS_Movement or newsouth? Isn't that how you guys think? Tell the truth.

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I don't think it's anything personal about Chicago. WPS_Movement had also previously suggested Morgan will come to LA even though she is playing for a MLS backed team. I guess with Houston now in the league, he figures it'll be Press.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well... MRAD does have a point the WPS and newsouth have a history of posting things that imply it's okay to slight Chicago (and Sky Blue, for that matter) on a whim.

17. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Who have I slighted? I call it like I see it.

If the Galaxy join in 2015, Morgan or Press will be their forward. Doesn't the allocation process start over in the 2015? You're saying Morgan will list Portland as #1 if the Galaxy show up on the board? Red Bull expressed interest in Press if he SB deal had worked out. It's obvious as day she was on her way to Houston until Brian Cushing showed up at Press conferences. Ok, no deal was cut behind doors to move Houston to the #2 spot. Like some say on here, Ohai would have lasted to #5 in forward hungry league. Nothing against Chi and SB but they don't get priority over MLS in this league.

ladyofwh repped this.
  18. ladyofwh

ladyofwh Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newsouth, I was hoping for Press to be allocated to Houston or DC for time being. Then eventually, she could find her way back to the West Coast, specifically Southern California. I do think Press will do great in LA under Naimo as LA Blues coach and/or general manager. He has coached her before. Since LA Blues SC will play in Carson (Stub Hub Center area), Press would enjoy a lot of hometown support. Her family, friends, and LA fans could easily drive to Carson and would love to come out to support her and the LA team.

To be honest, I don't prefer CRS Dames' coaching style. I'll see how Press'll do with him as a coach. That's my opinion of CRS.

As for Morgan, honestly, she will command big crowd wherever she goes. She doesn't have to be in LA. After 2014 season, she and other allocated US players are free agents, right? It's possible later down the line Morgan herself could end up in Houston. Anything can happen.

We'll see how LA Blues SC will do this season in W-League. LA crowd definitely need to show up and support this local team this summer. The management continues to make their case to the NWSL as to why the league should accept the LA Blues' bid.

19. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    But see, even there you mention they do it to SBFC too. I'm just saying it's not solely Chicago as MRAD12 was making it out to be.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    First of all, where do you have proof that the MLS will be involved in an LA franchise?

You may not intentionally slight teams but you have this fetishly selfish intention when it comes to Press. You want her in a place where she can get the most exposure and to you it is an MLS affiliated team in an MLS stadium and NOT a team where she is needed most. Damn the league, it's all about the "Brazilian looking chicks".

Your obsession is to have your player elevated to the same cult star status as Morgan, Wambach, Solo. And to you Chicago is not the place to do it. To me you have no soccer credibility on these boards.

21. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Didn't I say Houston and LA are apart of the same AEG group? Go check out the web site! Why wouldn't the Galaxy have one eye on the Dash? Tell me why wouldn't they this season?

"Fetishly selfish intention" - And you're a "Yahoo!" I play the angles for my favorite players, just like everyone on the board. I'm glad you missed that I push many Brasilian players, Courtnall, A-Rod, Dunn, Rampone, and plenty others, depending on the thread. How convenient of you to take the Press route!

What obsession? Or am I just playing you because I know you or someone else will come up this nonsense as usual? Last time I remember I was stalking Press but we are in different countries. :rolleyes:

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You still fail to answer a basic HONEST question. Do you feel that Chicago is not good enough for Press and that you want her in a more high profile city or MLS location?

And why should she get re-allocated next year?

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I have no preference on where Press plays, as long as she's in NWSL, and not overseas, I'll be happy.
    I'm only predicting that if L.A. gets an expansion team, Press will want to be there instead.
    And if L.A. doesn't get an expansion team, I hope Press definitely stays loyal to Chicago.
    They need her for attendance, fan enthusiasm, and improved goal scoring from their forwards.

Whether she plays in Chicago, or goes to an expansion team in Cali, I'll be elated as long as she is loyal to NWSL.
    If Toronto or Vancouver gets an expansion team, I do hope Tancredi goes there.
    I want Tancredi to be the villain playing on a villain Canadian team. That would be more interesting. ;)

That also gives Leon and Hoy more opportunities in Chicago, and I like both players as young prospects.
    They both can compliment Press very well.

24. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    LA, Toronto & Atlanta get added for 2015 with the RedBulls taking over SkyBlue.

EAST
    Western NY
    NY/NJ SkyBlue
    Toronto
    Boston
    Washington
    Atlanta

WEST
    Chicago
    Houston
    Kansas City
    Seattle
    Portland
    LA Blues

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Interesting.
    Atlanta covers the southeast. L.A. covers Cali (and southwest). Toronto gives us a Canadian team.

[​IMG]