California Franchise

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by newsouth, Sep 26, 2011.

1. ladyofwh

ladyofwh Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Blues SC is probably going to play on fields right next to the Stub Hub Center for cost cutting purposes. They also use facilities at the Center as needed. I'm glad that the team is not playing in the Malibu area anymore. Titan Stadium is a nice alternative, but it's not exactly in Los Angeles and quite a drive for some folks.

Don't forget that LA Strikers had some support from Chivas USA club. I would love to see LA-based MLS teams show support for the LA Blues SC.

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Except the Blues have already gone on the record that they still want to join the NWSL. I'm not saying that the Galaxy or Chivas will want to be part owners of the team (they may or may not, I don't know). Just that there might be some partnership between them.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Right; the Blues have already shown their NWSL interest. I'm just not sure about the MLS involvement; if it's just stadium-sharing, I don't want it to become a situation like the Sol in SHC or the Red Stars in Toyota Park.

4. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, I would hope that either with them playing in the track and field stadium or with a reduced capacity stadium (a la Chivas USA) that they would have cheaper rent than the Sol.

5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Pali is closer to me. But traffic on PCH can be terrible during the summer, so being in Carson probably won't be too much worse. And it's half an hour closer than Titan Stadium (in good traffic), so I'm glad about that. I would still prefer a downtown location though. With the Expo line (which I just took to Staples Center for the first time last night), it's such a breeze to get downtown now.

6. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    With the Blues and the Strikers combining and the MLS clubs looking to have the USL Pro affilaites in place by 2015.
    The possibility of the Galaxy affiliating itself with both the W League team and move them to the NWSL as well as the mens side USL Pro team playing at TiTan stadium with the thought of playing both as part of doubleheaders.
    SHC would drown an NWSL side and Titan Stadium is a quality natural grass pitch.
    The Galaxy having its USL Pro affiliate and sister NWSL team 30 minutes away could work out perfectly

7. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    The Sol averaged 6,298. That's only around 2,000 less than Chivas this year...

If what you're suggesting were to take place, I think the question would be where is it cheapest to play the women's side. I'm not 100% certain, but I think AEG operates the track and field stadium as well. If so that would probably be cheaper than Titan. The downside of course is having the track around the field. But at least it's natural grass.

8. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If that is true than AEG were to affiliate the Galaxy with both moving into a stadium which they operate makes much more sense.
    My feeling is whether there is a track or not as long as the pitch and stadium is up to modern pro standards it is a good option. There are a lot of Track and Field/Soccer stadiums so this will be happening in other places as well.
    There not too many Titan stadiums out there that have become soccer/Lacrosse specific because the school dropped the football program. Hofstra's Shuart stadium.
    Having no football lines on the pitch is much more important.
    The more we talk about it the more it looks like this can become a reality with AEG could do this and move both USL Pro and Womens side to the track and field.
    What is the capacity ?

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #34 holden, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    I'm not quite sure. On one of Cal State Dominguez Hills' pages it says "Capacity: West Bleaches - 5,000" and on another page it says "Capacity: Bleacher Seating - 8,000". Looking at the satellite view though, the West side doesn't look like it holds 3,000 more than the East side... so it could be up to 10,000? But at minimum it's 5,000, so plenty big enough. Also, CSU Dominguez Hills doesn't use it for gridiron either. It's soccer and track & field only.

Here's a view from the west side towards the east:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well that loks great 10K a nice max even if they don't hit it. The key is no football Track and field/ Soccer specific stadium

11. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Maybe they should keep the same logo when they join NWSL.

[​IMG]

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  14. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It also states that AEG owned the Riptide which most likely means they run the track and field/Soccer stadium as well. So anything Galaxy involves NWSL or USL Pro would involve the clubs playing at their venue. So if the Blues USL Pro side does become the Galaxy affiliate a move from Titan Stadium would happen

15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    This confirms the Blues will be playing in Carson, though not which stadium:

Also, for anyone doubting their NWSL aspirations:

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, reading that Tweet literally, it only says they want an NWSL-quality team, not an NWSL team. Actually kinda sounds to me similar to some current NASL teams that want NASL to challenge MLS as the #1 league. I kinda wonder if they're still upset at being denied the first time around, especially now that the acceptance of Houston has thrown out the geographic requirement that apparently got them denied in the first place.

17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Why would they merge with the Strikers, play at the StubHub center, and aspire to a NWSL quality team if they are just going to stay in the W-League? I think it's clear from all their actions that they are trying to show the NWSL that they are a quality enough outfit that they should be awarded a NWSL expansion franchise.

It seems to me that rather they've seen that Houston got a team and that has renewed their interest/desire to get a NWSL franchise.

Charlie also had this twitter interaction:
    421673766968885249 is not a valid tweet id

He had taken a full time job outside of soccer, and it sounds like he is now back full time with the Blues. Why do that if you're just gonna stay a W-League team?

18. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Cant take it personal. merging with the strikers and moving to an AEG pitch, most likley the Track and soccer pitch, would most likley give them a stronger position to enter.
    Even another ownership group was chose for the Seattle franchise over the Sounders.
    That would bring the league to ten and then Toronto or another Canadian city. I can see Ottawa with the Fury connected to OSEG as a darkhorse.
    That would leave one more franchise to make 12
    Will anothe MLS team look to combine with a franchise perhaps a second one in Texas to rival Houston as well as being closer to mexico. Darkhorse for Texas would be San Antonio. Smaller yet moder Toyota park. Possible owne Spurs S&E which alsoowns the SA Silver stars of the WNBA promoting the top two womens sports pro leagues together

JMO of course

19. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live ten minutes from Titan stadium so it would have been ideal for me, but Stubhub is fine too. Just please not Malibu, too far and inconvenient.

I wouldn't mind the LA Blues to be a NWSL team. I guess it's too late for it to happen this year, but hopefully if Houston Dash are successful, they might expand again for next year. Fingers crossed....

20. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What a scam! In two years they can't get the LA Blues in the league because of travel issues but Houston is just as bad, even more expense to fly in than LAX. Mark my words. AEG is sitting on the curve watching the Houston deal and may move in with the Lady Galaxy since this is a budget league, and the Galaxy could do 5-8k when Paulson can no longer hold on to hustle Morgan after 2014. You could have a Reign/Sounders look over with the Blues/Galaxy in LA.

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The league has a team in Texas (Houston).
    Landing a team in California (preferably Los Angeles), and a team in Florida (Orlando) would be huge.

22. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    MLS has failed twice in Florida. I'd focus on North Carolina, Indiana or Dallas.

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yeah, but it would be nice if Florida could get a team.
    Same for L.A.

And then I'd target Canada next.
    Philadelphia is intriguing as well.
    Adding Indiana from the Midwest compliments Chicago and FCKC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Could you clarify what you mean by that? Are you talking Sounders the MLS team or the W-League team? (Like are you saying they'd be competing or what?)

25. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Didn't most people think it was going to be the Sounders in the NWSL, and the Reign came out of no where? Now, the Blues are trying to get in, and a smaller sister of the Galaxy via AEG is taking a test run from my perspective. With Morgan free in 2015 and at least 2 MLS teams on the sidelines watching, I'm rolling the dice that one is the Galaxy making visits to USSoccer. The Blues are burned in 2015 possibly like the Sounders last year and the Galaxy will field a team with Morgan.