California Cup

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Naco, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Not knowing how it works, nor do I remember all the scores over the year, but who wins?

2. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    I thought the prize was Mullan's sock. Is there an actual trophy cup?

The regular series ended up 1-1-2
    The playoffs: 1-1

I don't know what the tie-breaker would be. Perhaps it should be whoever advances further in the MLS Cup playoffs.

The Galaxy would have the aggregate goal edge
    (regular season 5-3, playoffs 4-5, total 9-8).

SJ 1, LA 0
    SJ 1, LA 1
    SJ 0, LA 3
    SJ 1, LA 1

SJ 0, LA 2
    SJ 4, LA 2
    mini-game/OT: SJ 1, LA 0

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mullan's sock (autographed and framed) was a gift from the LA fans when Mullan joined the Quakes. It stays with the Quakes fans until Mullan goes to play somewhere else, and then we will have to send it on.

There is an actual California Cup, created by Brian Holmes who is the head guy at California Custom. He got tired of waiting for the various supporters' groups to organize the damn thing and come up with a charter and a set of rules and all that, so he just had a trophy made up.

However, since there is no official charter or rules or anything, the exact rules for determining who wins the cup in any given year are not defined.

My feeling is that the head-to-head record is even, and the first tiebreaker should be goal difference, so...

Congratulations Galaxy, Winners of the California Cup in 2003! Enjoy the offseason!

4. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Disafreakingree. Team A winning MLS Cup, or beating Team B in the playoffs, should override. If the Quakes don't get Mullan's sock this year, the award becomes a mockery.

5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Methinks that Brian Holmes would be rather bemused to find out that Bruce Morgan is the head guy at Cal Custom. Funny, but I had thought that Bruce's gig as trainer with the quakes would keep him busy enough?! :p

6. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    In the words of Joe Schmo "what is going on?!!?"

The Quake fan says the Galaxy win the California Cup.

The Galaxy fan says the Quakes win it.

Have I entered Bizarro world? Is this trophy/sock not wanted? Poor Brian/Bruce.

7. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not to disagree with my esteemed colleague from the south, but I disagree.

If Team A sweeps Team B in the regular season but sucks up the rest of their games and fails to make the playoffs, while Team B goes on to win MLS Cup, then Team A should win the prize. It's not about who goes farther, it's about the head to head results.

If Team A sweeps Team B in the regular season and knocks them out of the US Open Cup, then loses to Team B in the playoffs, then Team A should win the prize. Otherwise we are just saying that playoff games are more important than the regular season.

My understanding is that this award should be based on all of the head to head games between the teams in meaningful competition (so no preseason friendlies, but MLS regular season games, playoff games, US Open Cup games, and if both teams manage to advance in the CONCACAF Champions' Cup then those would count too). Playoff games should not be worth more than regular season games.

That's based on the Brimstone Cup which is the Dallas/Chicago cup. Of course, they also have the silly rule that there is no tiebreaker, if the head-to-head results are even then the team that won the cup the previous year gets to retain it, which is why Dallas is still holding the Brimstone Cup this year as Chicago steamrolls to the Supporters' Shield, US Open Cup, and maybe MLS Cup as well.

Of course, this is just my opinion and should not be construed as an offer to help organize any such charter between LA and SJ fans.

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, to be a moderator and be able to edit my post whenever I want. :)

9. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Yeah, but the playoffs were directly head to head. Just like MLS Cup 2001. And I think there should be something about where the winner screws the loser out of a playoff spot. All games are not created equal, after all.

10. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Bill has it right) Should be given based on head-to-head regular season record, (and I'll add here) plus playoffs and US Open Cup if needed.

If we were to reward on the basis of league games alone (4 times-win by SJ 1-0, 2 ties, and a win by LA 3-0) it would go to LA. Add the aggregate series and it go to the Quakes.

However, that should be left up to the respective Supporter's Groups and if it were the case I would include all games played in a calendar year except friendlies.

Cheers!

11. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    Beerking can you confirm that the Galaxatives get the California Cup this year? The overall record for SJ v. LA was 2-2-2. By virtue of their two wins being 3-0 and 2-0 (vs. our 1-0 and 5-2) I believe they win by coming out with the better goal differential. (+1) Unless of course, it is goals scored as the first tie breaker and goal differential as the second, in which case, we'd win.

12. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    The Trophy Needs Engraving

I'm talking with Brian right now about this so if anyone has the rules on the cup a link would be appreciated. I am in the camp that says the Galaxy get it on goal differential. (+1)

13. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    What are the rules for the Brimstone Cup and the Atlantic Cup (or whatever DC & NY call it)? I think we should be as consistent with the other teams as possible.

14. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also the Hunt Derby contested between Kansas City and Columbus. Don't know if Dallas has been added to the mix, but that's another to look into. It's more of an informal contest compared to the Brimstone/Atlantic Cups and so forth.

15. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Not to further "muddy the water" but if you are going to base it upon all matches between the two sides (excluding friendlies) then that suggests there may be rare instances when the teams meet outside of the regular season matches. If this is going to take into consideration all matches, then I would ask as of what date you determine the winner? Is the winner determined as of the day of MLS Cup?

IMO, to simplify matters, it should only include MLS regular season meetings + playoff encounters. If they are tied, goal differential decides. That lends some consistency to the format.

But, hey....not my charter to write.

16. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States