Calcio Calabria thread

Discussion in 'Italy: Southern Clubs' started by sportfriend, Feb 16, 2007.

1. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    heres a thread for the other Calabrese teams.

all things COSENZA, Crotone, Catanzaro you can post here :D

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Auguri! Mio padre e' Calabrese di Cosenza......My father is from Calabria from the provincia Cosenza in the Sila Piccola. Che freddo!

Communque sia, Reggina is really doing well this year despite their penalized ponts in the standings. I hope they make it this year!
    Ciao
    gabriele falvo

3. forzareggina

forzareggina Member

Reggina
    United States
    Aug 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Reggina Calcio
    and the lesser known AC Locri and Castrovillari

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My cousin Roberto Furci used to play in Serie C for Locri. He was still with the club until he was 38 years old, that was about 30 years ago. He was traded to Trani Serie B in Puglia but in those days he was making just as much playing in Serie C than if he were to go up to Serie B. He told me he broke all ties with the club for a few reasons. A few years back the club was supposed to go up to a higher division but because they had no money they actually threw the last game of the season. He said you could totally see how the players folded and didn't even try hard. After that he got disgusted with the way the club was run and he said no more. Last year I believe a player was killed for some type of ties with the organized crime in the area. Its a different wotrld down there, unfortunately.

5. RegginaAmaranto

RegginaAmaranto New Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Melbourne Australia
    Roberto Furci huh? my uncle is Franco Furci, from San Pietro Carrida.... is that familiar to you by any chance?

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Possibly, Furci is a pretty popular name down there. Actually, he is my cousin's husband. Her last name is Falvo. The Falvo are closer to the Cosenza region although my great uncle worked for the railroads , the Calabro-Lucania which is now called the Ferrovie della Calabria and he moved down there during WW2.

7. RegginaAmaranto

Dec 24, 2006
    Melbourne Australia
    hahaha funny that, i work with a Falvo as well ....... any other names ya wanna through at me that i should know :p

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well to make a long story short, my actual last name is Falvo-Citrigno however, Falvo is the name on my Birth certificate. Citrigno was my father's uncle or rather my great aunts husband and they adopted him after the war and brought him out to California. There is a Cinema in Cosenza called Cinema Citrigno. My realy last name is Falvo but I actually go by Citrigno. The Citrigno's are actually from a town above the hills of Cosenza called Donnici.

9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Catanzaro are in Serie C2/C after going bankrupt. It's a great shame for me as my dad comes from province di Catanzaro. Catanzaro hasn't been in the Serie A since 1983 and we haven't come close to Serie A promotion since 1988. Catanzaro would have played in a few derbies because of the presence of Vigor Lamezia from Lamezia Terme and Vibonese from Vibo Valentia.

Cosenza aren't in better shape. Sadly, they're in Serie D (Girone I). I remember when Lentini was with them and he was saving them from relegation in Serie B.

Does anybody know which Calabrese clubs are in la promozione (that division below la eccellenza) ?

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was just thinking of Catanzaro. When I lived in Florence from 2001-2005, everyone was talking of the gemellaggio or brotherhood between Fiorentina & Catanzaro. It seemed that one Sunday a Catanzaro fan went to sit in the middle of the curva Fiesole at the Artemio Franchi Stadio in Firenze and sat and cheered right in the middle of all the Fiorentina fans without caring what would happen to him. The Florentines were amazed that he had the guts to do this and they took him in as a simpatico and from that day on supposedly, the only club Fiorentina has ties with is in fact Catanzaro. I wonder if they would cheer them if they come to the stadium or if they would just not cause any trouble if they beat them? Anyway, just thought I'd mention this.

11. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's quite amazing. My dad did something like that but it was in an NSL match. South Melbourne (the Greek-Australian team) and Marconi (Italian-Australian side) were playing and my dad and his friend were setting at the end where the Greeks were sitting. Once Marconi scored, my dad starts jumping like crazy. One of the South Melbourne fans loudly asked my dad, "Sit down! Are you crazy?"

The best time to have watched a Fiorentina vs Catanzaro match would have been in the late 80s. Antognoni, Graziani and Massaro vs Palanca, Mauro and Ranieri.

12. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    yeah my family was from Cosenza, so i try to follow this team.

The attendances you can imagine are pretty awful, but there seems to be a good atmosphere and for coppa Italia matches...The crowd looks better than Serie A matches for some northern teams :p

Campo neutro match this season...these are the away fans

[​IMG]

coppa Italia match last season (home)
    http://www.curvanordcosenza.com/cas...sanese_CI/images/cosenzarossanesecoppa073.jpg

13. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I like the banner with the marijuana on it.

14. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    i prefer the Beer :p

15. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Fiorentina also have a massive freindship with Verona, when fiorentina played chievo in verona, i saw many hellas flags waving as well. I've also heard about the strength of the frienship between Catanzaro and Fiorentina. I would also assume if Reggina played Fiorentina, you would find many many Catanzaro people sitting with the Viola supporters.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of that I don't know. However, after living in Florence, I met a lot of Calabresi working in Florence, so maybe they would support them. My friends were all Fiorentina supporters, however. The Viola fan base is very distinct. I never understood them but they are a loyal bunch like everyone else's I guess. I don't remember too many Ultras groups so that was good. They gathered this year in front of their HQ protesting their relegation/ It may have worked as the club was saved.

17. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. RegginaAmaranto

Dec 24, 2006
    Melbourne Australia
    alright.... so this is a thread per tutte le squadre Calabrese huh? there may be a few smaller clubs that im missing here... my memory aint the best, correct me if theres anyone ive left out.

Reggina Calcio
    Reggio Calabria
    Serie A

Football Club Crotone
    Crotone
    Serie B

Unione Sportiva Catanzaro
    Catanzaro
    Serie C2

Vibonese Calcio
    Vibo Valentia
    Serie C2

Vigor Lamezia Calcio
    Lamezia Terme
    Serie C2

Rende Calcio
    Rende, Cosenza
    Serie C2

AS Cosenza Calcio
    Cosenza
    Serie D

Castrovillari Calcio
    Castrovillari, Cosenza
    Serie D

Unione Sportiva Rossanese Calcio
    Rossano, Cosenza
    Serie D

Reggio Calcio A5 (this is a 5 a side competition in Italia)
    Reggio Calabria
    Calcio A 5 - Serie A

ummmm... thats all i can really think of at the moment, like i said, if you know any more, lemme know coz im stumped

19. RegginaAmaranto

Dec 24, 2006
    Melbourne Australia
  20. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, it was. Catanzaro were so close to Serie A promotion and after that, chances for Catanzaro to play in the Serie A have become smaller and smaller. At least Reggina is in the Serie A to wave the Calabria banner high.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Allora una domenica che c'era il sole mi avvicino a Francesco che ha otto anni e gli dico oggi ce ne andiamo a vedere il Catanzaro, e Francesco non dice né si e né no, spalanca gli occhi e se ne scappa in camera sua. A prepararsi, credo.

Qualche ora dopo passiamo i cancelli e cominciamo a camminare verso le gradinate. Francesco mi stringe la mano sempre più forte, mi tiene stretto anche se gli viene da correre, così con la mano ferma e le gambe che gli scappano via facciamo qualche passo e poi siamo dentro e Francesco quando vede il campo mi abbraccia e dice "Lo avevo visto solo in televisione."
    "E' diverso dall'Olimpico o dal Meazza, vero?" "Non è diverso, è il nostro campo - dice lui - il campo del Catanzaro."

Un ragazzino deciso, direi. Si ferma un attimo solo, il tempo di guardarsi intorno, di ambientarsi e poi continua "Quante partite hai visto tu?"
    E io mi ricordo che il Catanzaro ho cominciato a vederlo prima ancora dei miei ricordi e che non c'è un inizio ma solo una infinità di rumori e di immagini che piano piano mi ritornano negli occhi. Come si fa a scegliere? Borghi, Bivi, Mauro, 3-0 al Milan, avevo dieci anni, ero attaccato alla rete della tribuna, mio padre mi controllava da qualche gradino più su, ogni gol qualche sconosciuto mi abbracciava e mi strofinava le mani sulla testa, mio padre guardava la partita e mi perdeva ogni cinque minuti, trentamila persone scandivano con gli olè gli ultimi istanti della partita, qualcuno andava via prima, tanto ormai era finita, io sarei rimasto lì fino alla domenica successiva.

"Anche oggi vinciamo tre a zero" dice Francesco.
    "Ma è un po' diverso - faccio io- ora siamo in C/2".
    "Non siamo in C/2, giochiamo provvisoriamente in questa serie, ma chi è stato in Serie A come noi è sempre di serie A".

A volte questi ragazzini di oggi mi fanno paura. Come faceva paura Palanca quando si avvicinava alla bandierina del calcio d'angolo, come faceva paura il contropiede degli avversari e il silenzio delle tribune, come faceva paura il vento e la pioggia di quel Catanzaro-Roma indimenticabile, partita sospesa e tutti a casa, per una domenica niente festa. Perché vincevamo sempre, per il solo fatto di giocare con quelle squadre noi avevamo già vinto la nostra partita.
    "Come adesso succede per chi gioca contro il Catanzaro" - dice Francesco.

Troppa saggezza in questi otto anni penso, ma non lo dico, e poi è vero. Come per il Cosenza la prima volta che venne a giocare qui. Era il 1984, 4-1 e tre gol di Surro. Uno che non ha fatto niente altro nella sua vita, e vedi Francè, non importa quello che fai, l'importante è farlo bene, come lui. Se hai tre gol da parte spendili in un derby, ad esempio.
    "Ma non li ha fatti nessun altro tre gol in un derby?"
    Palanca, Palanca, Palanca, e non posso fare a meno di sorridere. Tre a zero sempre al Cosenza, che voleva andare in serie A, che giornata, duemila chilometri per vedere quella partita, in treno da Firenze, una notte di viaggio sognando il Catanzaro, sudando Catanzaro, fremendo Catanzaro, mangiando Catanzaro, respirando Catanzaro.

Quella è la curva degli ultras, gli dico, e lui appiccica i suoi occhi sugli striscioni, sulla bandiere, sui gradini. La mia curva, le mie urla, le mie bandiere, noi saremo sempre qua …. E lo vedo già, Francesco, che tra qualche anno si sistemerà lì a gridare la sua passione e la mia voglia, la sua gioia e i miei ricordi. E' il suo destino, è il destino di chi nasce in questa città, vivere di calcio, glielo sto fabbricando il suo destino, come hanno fatto con me. Per fortuna.

"Provasi, Marini, Lorenzini, Maccacaro, Tonani, Sardei, Vanini, Marchioro, Bui, Gasparini, Tribuzio. Allenatore Ballacci".
    Lo guardo incredulo.
    "E' la squadra della finale di Coppa Italia. Anno 1966" - aggiunge candidamente.

Sanno troppe cose i ragazzi di oggi, non reggo il passo. Poi le squadre entrano in campo e sento la stessa emozione di sempre. E' come se iniziasse una partita lunga venti anni, Lorenzo che segna in rovesciata e corre sotto la curva, lo stadio di Como tutto giallorosso, il tabellone dell'Olimpico con su scritto Roma-Catanzaro 1-3, il palo di Sabato all'ultimo minuto dei supplementari di una semifinale di Coppa Italia, le lacrime di chi mi stava accanto. Le mie lacrime, ho pianto più per il Catanzaro che per qualsiasi altra cosa, le mie lacrime nella cucina di una casa di Firenze, mentre la radio annunciava il pareggio della Lazio in pieno recupero che ci negava la serie A, le lacrime di Palanca dopo un rigore assurdo finito contro un palo che qualcuno doveva aver spostato di nascosto, le lacrime di una città condannata alla C2 dopo aver vinto uno spareggio inutile, dopo aver fatto festa, dopo aver pianto di gioia.

"Zaninelli, Sabadini, Marco Rossi, Celestini, Menichini, Masi, Mauro, Sabato, Bui, Improta, Palanca. Il miglior Catanzaro di tutti i tempi secondo me, almeno per ora". La voce di Francesco mi scuote e mi riporta alla partita, non finisce di stupirmi 'sto ragazzo, lo guardo ancora, il futuro è suo. Dalla destra parte un cross teso, una deviazione leggera, quello che basta e siamo in vantaggio. Il futuro è giallorosso, penso.

Francesco grida un po', si agita e poi dice "Porto bene, dobbiamo venire sempre allo stadio".
    Una volta mi piaceva dire che la mia infanzia l'avevo passata in uno stadio, non sarebbe male passarci anche la sua. Prendere in prestito la sua infanzia e la sua gioia, i suoi occhi spalancati su un calcio di punizione. Che finisce in rete. E sono due. Abbiamo ripreso a vincere.
    "E non smettiamo più"- dice lui.
    "E non smettiamo più" rispondo io.
    "Di nuovo la regina del sud" dice lui.
    "E il timore del nord" risponde la curva.
    E ricomincia la samba.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Speaking of Catanzaro , I just translated this link in today's Rai Sport.

http://www.raisport.rai.it/sportarticolo/0,10719,55922,00.html

A Catanzaro fan was stabbed

A little away from the stadio Rende(near Cosenza) before the derby calabrese
    18 febbraio 2007

A young fan of the Catanzaro was slightly wounded from a Cosenza fan with a stab to a leg. It happened in Rende where the giallorossi played the derby of C2. It happened around three kilometers from the stadium and before the beginning of the match. Cured, the young man was diagnosed curable within three days. The investigations on the episode are conducted by the policemen. No problem of any kind at the stadium.

23. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    regional derbies are very firery. If this happens in C2 i can't imagine the Catanzaro Reggina derby, that would be big.
    When was the last time these two teams played?

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Not really sure as Catanzaro hasn't really been in the top flight in over 20 years. Here is a link from 2005 from Catanzaro congradulating Reggina for staying in the Serie A.

CALCIO: DA CATANZARO CONGRATULAZIONI A REGGINA PER SALVEZZA

http://www.nastri-oggi.it/archives/000355.html

25. RegginaAmaranto

Dec 24, 2006
    Melbourne Australia
    that was a nice congratulatory letter