Calander Year Cutoff vs. August 1st Cutoff

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by HWPixHend, May 6, 2003.

1. HWPixHend

HWPixHend New Member

Apr 1, 2003
    Gastonia, NC
  2. SoccerX

SoccerX Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Republic of Texas
    Seems that site should be renamed robertziegler.com. He's the only one writing for it!:)

3. HWPixHend

HWPixHend New Member

Apr 1, 2003
    Gastonia, NC
    I was looking for "comments" on the content of the article.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    January 1st Date

Comments -

1) Sure, it makes sense to switch to a January 1st date, so as to join the rest of the world.

2) It's already happening in the U.S. In another 5 years or so, the process will be complete. Rec soccer will stay according to school years, while all competitive soccer will be January 1st.

3) The one good thing about the current system is that the August - December kids who benefit under with the August 1st cutoff for regular club play are hurt by the January 1st ODP calendar, and vice versa. So things even out a bit. If all the dates become January 1st, the kids born early in the year will have an unrelenting advantage at all competitive levels over the kids born late in the year.

Nothing is perfect.

5. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Well, good help IS hard to find. :)

But if you're volunteering, you know where to find me. I need a good report on the North Texas State Cup...

6. scsri

scsri New Member

May 16, 2003
    RI
    Age Group Cutoff

Does anyone know if the USYSA will switch to calender year age groups, and if so when. I underestand the SYL is changing effective 2004.