Cal Women’s Soccer Abuse

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Glove Stinks, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The hammer is coming down on Neil McGuire. Local Fox News is airing a 30 minute news show on mental and physical abuse on Cal women’s soccer called “Surviving the Game” tonight at 5 pm pacific

2. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    probably all bullshit from the snowflakes who didn’t get playing time. The current cancel culture is pathetic.

3. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The news station has investigated this for over a year and is devoting a half hour program in prime time. I’m guessing they have a little more than snowflakes

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    at least one was a four year starter, first team All American, Herman semi finalist, and was drafted in the NWSL

5. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    probably the usual crap we hear when coaches hold athletes to high standards.

6. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    https://www.ktvu.com/news/surviving...s-allegations-of-abuse-in-cals-soccer-program

McGuire has been under fire since the Alex Morgan days. He somehow survived that mutiny. Probably will not survive this one. I thought that McGuire had something on Barbour back then, that he had her by her balls. Turns out that she did not want to deal with it coz she was on her way out. I feel bad for the Cal girls. This pattern of abuse has been documented for over a dozen years. Abuse happens, and persists, when people of responsibility who have the power to do something, do nothing.

Heeligan2 and Gryphons Dad repped this.
  7. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That was Damning. Neil is done at Cal Feel bad for the freshmen class that bought into his program.
    Crazy thing is Admin AD and Neil all had no comment when a dozen kids came forward

Heeligan2 and Gryphons Dad repped this.
  8. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    My daughter was thinking about Cal, until her club coach filled her in on McGuire's antics. And this was back in 2015. Thankful she listened.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  9. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Cal alum by chance?

song219 and BigBear repped this.
  10. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    It definitely sounds like there’s enough evidence there to warrant action being taken. And he’s been known for not being the nicest guy around but his club kids keep going there. He’s been so mediocre yet kept his job so I had assumed any hint of serious impropriety would’ve meant his ouster long ago.

can you elaborate on alex Morgan era mutiny? My only memory of him back then is he had alex freaking Morgan on his team and couldn’t win.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  11. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #11 cachundo, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Back in '08(?) or '09(?), while still fairly new to the job, McGuire already faced similar allegations. I've heard these allegations from several generations of players, which is very troubling. An ex-player said that when nothing happened from the administration, the team seemed to quit on him. There was a game that Cal lost in the last minute, McGuire went on a tirade that the team quit on him. They probably already did. He "resigned" on the spot in front of his team post-game. Barbour rescinded the "resignation". So a decade or so later, the drama plays out all over again.

My question is: Why does the hit piece air now? What part of the story has not been publicly revealed yet? Ballsy of Ch2 to air a hit piece if they didn't have an extra ace in the hole

12. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    In multiple occasions, I’ve been told he is not likable or things of that nature, but I just watched the TV report and I didn’t hear a single substantial claim of what he actually did, other than yelling at players and making them run in the rain?
    I’m not defending the guy as he might very well be an awful person and maybe shouldn’t be there, but what did I miss? My coach yelled and made us run more than I would’ve liked. Maybe there’s more to story than what I saw but is this enough to get people fired? Again, maybe he is bad news and this is all warranted I don’t know, but I was somewhat puzzled with this report

13. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is an acceptable level of hostility towards your players as a coach? When does that inspire excellence? It may work for the men's program but I don't think yelling, demeaning, and threatening works to motivate a women's team.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ch-neil-mcguire-throws-his-cubs-to-the-wolves

And

https://archive.dailycal.org/article.php?id=106992

not sure you can call 2009 a player mutiny. He quit on the players. They didn’t quit on him.

I remember in 2009 he was going to convert to a UNC style 3-4-3 with Kervorkian, Morgan, and I think White up top with Jesolva setting them up. He and Morgan made a big deal about it in the press before the season. You might still find a article in the Cal paper

a 0-4 loss to #3 Portland early ended that experiment . Their back line couldn’t cover the width. They lost two games after they switched to a four back line to Sac state and Cal Poly and Maguire quit as coach. It was a young team. I’m not sure the changes helped them.

the team tied #11 Santa Clara 2-2 with a volunteer assistant as coach and he then un-quit. I remember being puzzled why the AD let him do that.

Then Morgan and a team co captain Brianna Bak were quoted as saying they didn’t care if he came back.
    Morgan’s Twitter feed included:

Not exactly snowflakes who didn’t get playing time. Thes players were the heart of the team.
    he did come back, though.

I think Kevorkian left for Boston college after the season where she almost tripled her goal production (matching Morgan’s 14 goals) and White’s playing time was greatly reduced the next year.

as to the claim that he couldn’t win with Morgan, you have to account that she wasn’t there for much of 2008 with the u20 WC in Chile and only played 12 games due to uswnt duty in 2010. She was a first team all American only her senior year because of all her NT duty.

15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    yeah it was just “he was mean to me” for a whole 30 minutes. The one girl complaining because he held her to high standards was a joke! One person suing because she got cut for not being good enough. What a joke!

16. Branko Segota

Branko Segota Member

Feb 24, 2003
    So I am guessing Collegewhispers last name me thinks might be McGuire, LOL I also predict they CW has never been a student-athlete. For that many student-athletes to come forward over the course of 12+ years..... If it acts like and duck and quacks like a duck,...

2233soccer and Gryphons Dad repped this.
  17. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    “he made me run” and “he was mean” are really damning on a coach lol. Let’s just fire every coach in the country then. Can you imagine if every athlete that got cut decided to sue the coach?

18. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Did you read the published letters? It's more than a witch hunt when multiple players come out publicly giving their names. The best player in the group said some pretty bad things. The first thing a guilty person does @Collegewhispers is go after the accusers. You seem familiar with that after 4 posts claiming things like this:
    probably all bullshit from the snowflakes who didn’t get playing time. The current cancel culture is pathetic.

I have a strong feeling most of the kinds of players going to Cal have been coached before and had 'tough' coaches. Even the players at Cal at the end of the bench. Are there some entitled and soft players out there? Is this a litigious society full of folks claiming they're aggrieved all the time? Turn on the news!

Everyone in education and coaching should know there is a thick line between assertive motivation and potentially being abusive. Being offensive, insulting, and personally demeaning is not necessarily grounds for disciplining a coach but the boss gets to decide if they want these kinds of coaches on their staff. Cal seemed very willing to defend McGuire in the past. After reading those letters, lets see if they want to put the school's reputation behind that kind of treatment of their own students now alumni.

Maybe if they had paid a bribe to gain admission the feds would investigate......sorry wrong thread.

BigBear, Gryphons Dad and Glove Stinks repped this.
  19. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Yeah I didn’t realize the quitting thing happened with Morgan. Crazy how time flies by.

well to be fair he’s never won with Morgan or anyone else. They’ve never been pst the second round of the ncaas or finished in the top three of conference. Which for the talent they’ve had is crazy.

I know kids can be disgruntled and feel picked on and the bottom of many rosters feel under appreciated snd over worked for no playing time. For sure. But this doesn’t seem to be that. And is there a difference between unlikable and abusive? For sure. I’m glad I’m not a coach nor an administrator that has to Wade thru all this to get the truth and make a decision.
    Sad every which way.

20. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    seems they went to the administration, it was investigated and there were no merits to the complaints. You hear the generic “abuse” etc but they don’t really give many specifics of what he actually said or did.

21. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Did you watch the 30 minute program????? 30 minutes of specifics. 13 years of complaints. Even Alex Morgan. Cmon man. (And yes I have first hand knowledge from both club and college)

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  22. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Did you miss the part where the woman alleges that the administration said to her, 'no matter what you say in this meeting, he is not getting fired.' There is zero evidence they investigated. This is one of the parts I found most disturbing in the whole piece. I don't know anything about him, but the admin has a duty to be unbiased and look into this. What I got out of reading the letters is that he appears to have emotional control issues, and that they accuse him of bullying players into quitting so he can get their scholarship money back (if he cuts them they get to keep it).

23. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I’m guessing you could find a handful of players from any program who would describe their college experience and coach as awful and give examples that would sound horrible.

I used to work in a great company with awesome people and a healthy environment. I left when we moved and later connected with former co workers who went on and on about how awful it was. The truth is they weren’t a good fit because they were petty, lazy, selfish people. And they weren’t there long because that behavior stands out in a great environment.

So I’ve seen it happen where the bad apples taint the whole thing.

To my earlier point I don’t envy whoever has to untangle all this and figure out if these women were the issue or if Neil is the issue or if he can make some changes or what. He hasn’t been successful enough on the field to keep a problem guy around, and when I’ve met him he’s been nice but I’ve certainly heard a lot of bad stuff about him as a coach and manager. But kids from his club keep going there?

It’s a mess. Sad all the way around and I hope truth wins whatever that means.

outsiderview and LeftyMac repped this.
  24. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

I agree you could find disgruntled athletes anywhere. It’s not a pretty situation for you but my two questions after watching that were:

1) players say he verbally abused them: what did he actually say? It’s easy to say verbal and mental abuse but are there examples of what he actually said?

2) physical abuse via running: what did they actually make them do? Plus if it was that bad why didn’t the strength and conditioning coach and athletic trainers intervene or report this? Trainers are present at practices and if it was that bad they will generally raise concerns with the coaches.

not a good look for Cal, but would love to hear what was actually said and what the physical punishments were.

outsiderview repped this.
  25. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    The timing of this report is incredibly ironic ... right after Cal signs the #1 recruiting class. You have to wonder what would have happened if it was released prior to signing day.