Cakes to Everton on loan? good move prior to WC

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ringo, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    England, on short notice for a short period of time, is a bad idea IMO. He'd be better served to go on loan to a league that suits his style more, e.g. Spain, Italy or The Netherlands.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

4. stang217

stang217 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy Adu?
    [​IMG]

Seriously though...i think it's a good move for LD

5. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do those leagues suit his style? Landon's game is based around SPEED. The way the Italians and Spanish defend do not suit Landon to capitalize on his best attribute. In England defenders are always really tight on you. They gamble a lot and a with quick feint he's through on goal. His biggest attribute is his speed which he can exploit to the fullest in England. He worst attribute is that he can get taken out of a game by getting physical with him. But when you saw him battle with Ianni (right?) when they played Houston a year ago and score his goal, I would like to think he's past it. In Spain I don't think Landon is technical enough as a dribbler to create the space he needs to use his speed. In England that is easy just watch the game England's reserves played against Brazil weeks ago. One quick feint and the Brazilians were gone. Landon can do that.

I don't like it's a loan though. Grow a pair a go for good. The only way a loan makes sense is that Everton does not have the money to pay the fee in January and want to wait for the summer when they get the TV money and the Europa League money.

6. Panzer1945

Panzer1945 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    LA, CA
    I think it is a pretty good move. If he plays well and have a nice World Cup, he should be able to move to another club in Europe pretty easily.

7. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right.... But loan after loan after loan...

8. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True.

But...I think one of the reasons Landon was playing so well last June was the loan spell he had at Bayern.

If a few months at Everton can have an equal effect...look out.

9. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Grow a pair and stay for good to make a name for yourself over there.

10. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    La Liga or bust.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he doesn't own his contract ... it's not like he could've just stayed in Munich to make you feel better.

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of the top 7 or so teams, the EPL is all kick and chase, and defend in numbers. Not a good match for LD, IMHO.

I agree he'd be a better fit for Spain, France, or Holland.

Still, inside the EPL, Everton would be a good fit. Moyes is a good manager, and isn't biased against Yanks like some Eurosnobs, I mean managers.

13. othakidfrmaltalomahs

Jan 25, 2008
    RC/ALTA LOMA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you seen Fulham play??? and They're not top 7 this year either...well at least not yet

EPL is the perfect fit! the fast players do really well! as do the most technical!

14. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    I agree with this.

I watched the friendlies when Landon was at Bayern, he did exactly what he was suppose to do (score goals!)....the season resumes and we find Landon on the bench because management prevents Klinsmaan from playing him.

Klinsmaan was blamed for Bayern troubles so they get rid of him and bring in Van Gaal and drop further down the table. I don’t think we’ll see any of that at Everton. They seem knowledgeable about American players…or at the very least,fair....or something like that.

I think it’s a good fit all the way around. From type of League the Premiership is to Management to team level to culture. I know people hate to hear this but Landon can leave today and start on Saturday.

15. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

for the future since Klinsmann is such a young coach it bodes very well for American players.

Klinsmann should be at a pretty high level club wherever he is managing (unless he takes another NT) and He knows the American game and players well and would seemingly be willing to bring in American players where other high profile clubs and managers wouldn't.

Personally I think its great for ussoccer.

Anyways yah I hope LD goes to France personally but Everton isnt the worst place in the world.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the best part of this Everton move is it is filled to the brim with the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Man U, Arsenal, Tottenham, etc. He doesnt get Fulham though...

1 person likes this.
  17. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely perfect. We can talk about different leagues and better teams, but there is one thing that is guaranteed at Everton: playing time. These guys, for some reason, are very interested in American . . . everything. They brought in Tim Howard who is a cult hero at Goodison, they wanted Altidore last year, they plucked Peterlin out of obscurity, they have Arnoux playing plenty of matches for the reserve squad, and they even have American trainers.

I don't think Landon could find another team that would be as ready and willing to give him plenty of playing time from the second he arrives. It also has some of the greatest upside. Everton may not be in Europa next season, but they will continue to be a top-half team in the best league in the world, despite their recent struggles. A few teams like Atletico and Livorno may be able to offer playing time, but none appear to be able to give Landon as many positives as Everton can.

18. IncredibleStan1

Feb 17, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    plus he will be with tim howard:D

19. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Grow a pair? It isn't entirely up to him to stay. MLS still holds his contract. Think before you post.

20. salmacis

salmacis Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Oxford, UK
    Oh for God's sake, don't be so dumb.

21. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Agreed, nobody is against America in the English league and then to think they would somehow disadvantage an American player is ridiculous.

Also we hate to be called european, we're English so I suppose you could call us Englishsnobs but certainly not eurosnobs.

Anyway I think this is an amazing opportunity for Landon, I personally think he is good enough to play in the premier league and he will have the best chance of his career to advance his game with top class players, a top manager and coaches.

I'd love to see him do well in our league and think he will. Don't be surprised if he gets mugged for at least the first few games, a lot of foreign players do until they adjust to the style and speed.

I think the EPL is the best league for Landon given his speed and style of play.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im stoked on this, look at this magnificent piece of work he would get if he indeed does go to Everton from Jan-end of March.

Fixtures

Everton v Carlisle
    Arsenal v Everton, 15:00
    Everton v Man City, 17:30
    Everton v Sunderland, 20:00
    Wigan v Everton, 15:00
    Liverpool v Everton, 12:45
    Everton v Chelsea, 20:00
    Everton v Man Utd, 15:00
    Tottenham v Everton, 13:00
    Everton v Hull, 15:00
    Birmingham v Everton, 15:00
    Everton v Bolton, 15:00
    Wolverhampton v Everton, 15:00

that stretch of January and February is EPIC win. Thats the exact sort of exposure we want to get him, the best of the best. it gets a little cupcake in March starting with Hull and ending with Wolves, and thats where we could really see him put away the goals.

23. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I like the idea, but there are risks. As someone said above, he's bound to get some 'testing' by opponents and with that comes a risk of injury. In addition, we all hear about fixture congestion around World Cup and players succumbing to exhaustion - and being susceptible to injuries as a result. I think Landon is one of the most fit players we have so I'm less concerned about the exhaustion thing than I am about him getting a knock.

Overall though, this is good news. There was a hue and cry after WC 2006 that the USMNT and it's players needed to consistently play against a higher level of competition. Well, this would fit nicely for our best player. (And yes, I'm a huge Clint Dempsey fan, but he's not quite as important to the USMNT as Landon is right now.)

24. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. iCEMANGSCCC

iCEMANGSCCC Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Winston-Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just to nitpick, how is England not a part of Europe?