Caffeine

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by Alej, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Alej

Alej New Member

Nov 11, 2002
    South Orange, NJ
    I love to drink something caffeinated before I play, and I always have a lot more energy when I do, but the only problem is it gives me and upset stomach. Anybody know of a way that I can remedy this problem, or are there any alternatives that give me energy that don't upset my stomach?

2. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    Caffeine and sports don't go together. Caffeine pulls out water from your body just like alcohol - you'll have less power and can be dehydrated. Try drinking an isotonic sports drink before you play, along with a right diet it should get you better prepaired for a match than caffeine.

3. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Interesting subject many people have different views of the pros and cons.

It is a no no at the profession level. You will fail a doping test if you have too much caffeine. There was a 31 yr old belgium player was suspending from play for 3 months for having high amount of caffeine in the blood.

The US played a friendly against Honduras on a cold day here. Those Honduian players were all drinking coffee like nobdies business before the match. Incidently, honduras lost that game.

Now we come to this, check out this site.

Before you get to it this is a comment from an English coach from a coaching list that i am on.

"there is considerable confusion over the use of caffeine as a performance enhancing drug, and the lay-persons' conception that it will act as a strong diuretic, therefore depleting all efforts. Take a look at Perfomance Plus at www.pponline.co.uk, and read their articles under the "drugs" link regarding caffeine.

There is evidence of caffeine being an aid to sprinters and short distance events. There is also evidence of diluted unfizzed (flat) coca-cola working fairly well as a mid-contest sport drink!
    And I've heard several European managers favoring players drinking tea both prior to and at the half as part stimulant, part herbal theraputic for aches and pains."

In this site I seem to remember it saying that it is a diuretic but later. So if you take it just before a matach the neg effects will effect the player after the match is over. Something like that.

When i was a kid, and had an upset stomach Ma would give me coke stirred to take the fizz out to help with my upset stommach.

So you might try "diluted unfizzed (flat) caffeine coca-cola " Will it be enough caffeine to do the job who knows.

Richie

4. Anarchist

Anarchist New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Stuart, Florida
    I would stay away from it. The more you drink, the weaker your bones and muscles are. I don't know if this is true, but I heard it takes 6 bottles(liters) of water to replenish the water that the caffeine in one liter of coke takes from your muscles, and 2 liters of milk to replace the marrow loss. After hearing this i decided to quit... i can see there is a difference. i feel better, sleep better (obviously), and my wightroom sessions seem to be producing better results faster. i'm pretty sure this is the result of neglecting all caffeine. the "whole lot more energy" is just the temporary sugar rush that doesn't last nearly as long or as well as an energy drink like Amp or even Red Bull