Cabrera Out? Ticket Surcharge To Be Applied to Membership Club Holders To Cover Buyout

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seeing stuff on twitter that they are parting ways with Cabrera.

Maybe STH renewals really are that bad that they are forced to make a change

Mike Petke anyone?

*rey*, Dynam0 and nbrooks503 repped this.
  2. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dom 2.0 incoming.

Guess the practices might stop being super secret (really worked out for us).

*rey* and Dynam0 repped this.
  3. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming that ownership was so moved by my decision not to renew that they just had to act.

Either that or it was my "Remember When?" Twitter series today of past glorious Augusts.

Currently defending my Petke twitter comment on twitter.

*rey*, Dynam0 and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davy Arnaud Gets to play the role of Wade Barrett for the rest of the year coaching with the front office that doesn’t support them and will probably sell off the best players before the end of August

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  5. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The over offended will not like the Petke signing because of his anti gay comments.

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    "the team has gone 2-11-1 over their last 14 league matches and 3-12-2 in all competitions."

my only concern is does this insulate the GM ("we" in the announcement).

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know, Considering how loud I hear ”p**o” yelled at every Mexican match they have at BBVA Stadium it might be a way to attract a new fan base

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure Matt Jordan won the “got the furthest by doing the least” award in high school

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  9. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Web Tilton was already not wanting him here the day he got fired from RSL. lol

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve refrained lately on commenting on him, but listening to folks like Web and others on social media is part of the reason the Dynamo are in the current predicament

Dynam0 repped this.
  11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cutting through all of my wisecracks, thought Cabrera did a good job in 2017 overall but as the league figured out how to play the Dynamo and the deep turnover/counterattack style, he had limited answers. Part of that was personnel, but he also didn’t max out what he had. Continuously putting Kevin Garcia out there so often made little sense.

And even in a home-field advantage driven league, his road record was so bad it was indefensible.

12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source: Dynamo were allowed to fire Cabrera with no buyout - all employees had to opt-in to their buyout or severance agreements by August 1st or they could be terminated without penalty, and their service years reset.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Matt Jordan quote from the press release is laughable - how is Davy Arnaud a "fresh perspective"??!!! He sat on the same bench as Cabrera.

I think Jordan has a finance or business degree from Clemson, which apparently doesn't teach math since 9 of 34 games remaining is 26% of the season, or just about a quarter of the season.

“We’d like to thank Wilmer for all of his hard work and dedication over the course of the last two and a half seasons with the Houston Dynamo, including last year’s U.S. Open Cup title. We wish him all the best moving forward,” said Dynamo SVP & GM Matt Jordan in a statement. “At this time, we as a club believe the team will benefit from a fresh perspective as we enter the final third of our season and make a push to qualify for the playoffs.”

14. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Presumably he's talking about whatever new permanent coach they hire, not the caretaker.

I agree with Jordan on a fresh perspective. He might want to slow his roll though given that he's on his fourth coach and will have missed the playoffs 4 out of 5 years since starting at GM.

I can't help but think Jordan's presence as GM will be a hindrance to hiring a halfway decent coach.

*rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  15. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    @Westside Cosmo

The 1/3 season left is because he is now adding all the playoffs games and the final, since now that Wilmer is gone we are totally winning the MLS Cup.

"Fresh perspective" = next guy that won't cost an additional dime

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montgomery Brener with his sidekick Smithers Jordan laughing all the way to the bank.

I see Matt Jordan is supposed to meet with the Houston-area media at 11:00 tomorrow AM. He's got to have some additional time in the morning to get certain quotes lifted from corporate PowerPoint presentations to be pre-loaded into his larynx so when he opens his mouth they come out correctly.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m gonna post this in both “Cabrera fired” threads - all of you need to get the Glenn Davis podcast of his 10 minute interview with Matt Jordan tonight. It’s a separate 10 minute podcast or file from the show they posted on ITunes.

After listening to Jordan talk about how the firing decision came about and what he thinks of the roster, I will predict the following:

1) the Dynamo will only be able to hire a retread coach or a cheap young one. It’s clear that Jordan likely pushed Cabrera onto the train tracks with ownership (he mentioned an ownership board meeting yesterday that clearly didn’t include Cabrera). No established good manager in MLS or elsewhere is going to take this job knowing Jordan will slit your throat to save his own job because everyone is afraid to tell ownership what they need to spend and he’s gonna tell ownership he got enough talent to win and it’s the coach’s fault.

2) This move is probably mostly about Jordan saving his own job. He’s still saying things Iike “we are only 6 points out of the playoffs” - true, 6 points behind FCD for 7th but ignoring they are 4 points behind Portland in 8th and they have 2 games in hand and also 10 of 11 games remaining at home. Also claiming all of the transfer window moves can help vault them to playoffs - “Jose Bizama is a Chilean National Team player!” (He’s got 3 caps with Chile as a sub). And my favorite to show everyone how much talent he acquired - “Glenn, we got off to the best start in team history with this group!!” (Paraphrasing). As if a front-loaded home schedule against several weaker teams is going to be the whole year of scheduling.

3) We still haven’t hit rock bottom. I expect a bit of a bump from the switch but I don’t know how Jordan can go on about the playoffs and then sell anyone before all of the other league windows close in early September. Is he saying these things to try and sell tickets for Star Wars Night? Talking up Arnaud then selling some of his best players with 6 games left?

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #18 juvechelsea, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    actually, ironically, i think the original team was insular and just did as it pleased. other than things like will call it was like talking to a brick wall. which worked the first two years but then after that smacked of some arrogance. but they were generally in touch with reality on the field product and working to fix any issues.

I think it was the outside fans who ran interference and said trust dom. i got the brunt of that. that went away as we struggled. and so did those people ,i notice. most of the ones who used to chide me on "for us or against us" basis went away.

no, i'd say it is the current regime that seems eager to get by on a shoestring, is either out of touch with reality or manipulative, and wants to create a feedback loop with the media and a certain sort of fan that this is better than what we spend or what it looks like.

i disagree on effectiveness. the "trust dom" people were highly effective in making this place hell, and attendance stayed kind of up even as we got diminishing returns. you couldn't question anything. even as we started being a routine playoff exit.

but beneath the current regime's attempt at selling placid swimming at the lake, attendance is dropping, and I am sure they are kicking furiously below the surface. i am sure wanting to correct that impression is why cabrera went. you have to make it look like you care. but we are jaded by the big city and winning and can tell the difference between talk and signing people. so i buy they do this feedback loop, i don't buy it works beyond the diehards.