CA School: American Flag = Hate speech

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by PhillyQuakesFan, May 6, 2010.

1. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

Maybe the idiots who would've started fights with these kids for having the audacity to wear American flag t-shirts in the United States should be the ones getting disciplined??

At least the school district backed the students, so I guess someone out there doesn't have their head up their ass.

2. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Your obsession with your own flag can't be healthy... but that school policy is just stoopid.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Sorry, but this is one of those stories where, if you actually look into the details, everyone looks terrible. Apparently there is some real racial tension at this school. Well, if that's the case, then perhaps the 5th of May should be "normal school day" instead of "Mexican Heritage Day". Seems to me the school should have looked to diffuse all this instead of stoking it all up into a contest of public expression -- because that's exactly what happened here. And, yes, the boys were idiots and they were trying to be "incendiary" (and here I feign shock about how stupid high school boys can be). In the end the school was dead wrong to discipline them in this manner, and the kids were jerks to be such jerks, but to me the real blame has to lay with the school that seems to have fostered an environment in which this sort of thing becomes almost inevitable. Tell you the truth, you know what this story actually is? An argument for very strict dress codes and even school uniforms.

2 people repped this.
  4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What Cinco de Mayo needs is less flags and more tequila.

Well, not at the high school, of course. I mean for the rest of us.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    PQF, eat a Snickers bar. please.

6. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Sinko de Bismarck.

[​IMG]

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really should not wear the American Flag ever, it's disrespectful (and against a "Public Law", iirc, though not enforced as it would be against the 1st Amendment, same reason we do not prosecute flag burnings).

Sounds like the kids were being dicks, but that cannot possibly be illegal on a high school campus or they'd have to shut them all down :)

8. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wore a shirt to high school that said "christianity is stupid. give up." I was asked to change or cover it up.

I didn't call the newspaper.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That was very clever of you. Did they give up?

10. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    So many angles to this.

Concerning the flag wearing students. If all the did was wear the stuff without going out of their way to be dicks, no big deal. If they did go out of their way to dicks, a little worse, but being a jerk is not against the law and nobody has the right not to be offended.

Concerning the Hispanic students. From the little I know about this case, none of them voiced any complaints or were offended. So kudos to them for celebrating their culture while respecting the right and culture of the anglo students.

Concerning the Administration, there were the biggest dicks in this whole fiasco. First, if I was correct about the hispanic students, the admin created a situation where none existed to begin with and in doing so insinuated that Hispanic students cannot be subjected to an American flag without being horribly offended or resulting to violence. I find the administration's low opinion of Mexican-American students to be horrible insulting.

11. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Besides its use in the title of this thread, where is there any reference to "hate speech?" There is no such reference in the article.

The situation at the school is pretty stupid, but there is no need for hyperbole. Leave that to the guys at FOX. They'll blow this out of proportion.

12. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Typical responses from the losers on here. I love how the freedom of speech only really applies to the certain groups.

I love the latinas' comment about how the students wearing the the US Flag emblem were disrepecting a Mexican holiday. Its comical since she lives here in the US.

Blame the students who wore the flags is tantamount to blaming a female for getting raped because she wore revealing clothes.

This message is for Chad: One of these days your going to piss somebody off and you won't be behind a computer.

13. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Posters on here never blow anything out of proportion. This place is such a joke. It is not even funny.

14. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. Let me try it on you!

[​IMG]

To help you better understand.

And I was 17.

16. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet you posted that on a computer!

*you're

17. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty much the impression I got. Everyone mentioned in that article -the administration and all the students and all their parents- should be deported to North Korea.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Negativwhat? Never heard of them.

Where they popular in the US back in the day? Somehow they never made it to Argentina, or at least not into my social circles.

19. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Sinko d Maine?
    I guess you forgot the Maine.
    Shame...

20. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh geez! Everyone knows what Cinco de Mayo is all about...

[​IMG]

21. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The American flag actually IS offensive in North Korea. :D

22. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing Cinco de Mayo is as well, since it is celebrated far far more in the US than in Mexico (there its celebration is limited primarily to the state of Puebla) where the real Independence Day is September 16.

23. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fail to see how this qualifies as a news story at all.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yes, sadly school administrators acting stupidly is not news.

Did I catch that right, two of these kids are half Mexican?

25. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They shouldn't allow American flag shirts or bandanas any day. They're tacky and white trash.