Post-match: CA 100: Brasil x Equador, 4/6/2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This idea that Brazil passed the ball well is a little misleading. Statistically, we did great. 91% accurate passing in the first half! But 99% of those accurate passes did nothing. For all the praise commentators (at least here in the US) gave Brazil for switching the game well, those switches were slow and never led to moving forward past the defense.

Ecuador were very consistent in their shape and happy to let Brazil have possession.
    Many of Brazil's "accurate" passes were not productive - they were not into space in front of the player and often they were even behind the player. But technically those passes were complete since they reached a Brazilian player.

We had two solid chances in the first half. The low cross saved at close range and a cross that Jonas made.

Trying to look back on the second half, I don't recall solid chances until Lucas Moura came on. He at least created space. I'd like to see him and Willian on at the same time, with Renato out preferably so Coutinho can stay. But that's wishful thinking.

We were just pedestrian and the perception we had a good passing game is flattering, because while technically correct, it doesn't give us any indication that we can do more than the pedestrian passing with this midfield. And I don't think anyone here honestly believes we can.

Haiti should still be relatively easy. Of all the teams they are the weakest, and if Neymar were playing they might be more interested in getting pictures and autographs than playing.

Of course... if we stumble against them it'll be an early exit. Even if we don't, Peru will be a challenge.