C&W, bluegrass and alt.country

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by MikeLastort2, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent!

I have both previous Super Seven albums and they are two of my favorites. Had no idea they were coming out with another. Hot damn.

Plus -- I see from Amazon that they do one of my all time fave Bob Wills songs "My window faces the south." Can't wait.

2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now That I've Found You is a compilation of stuff and is good. So Long So Wrong is another good one.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, that's okay. I never wanted to be part of the cognoscenti anyway and my therapist says I making good progress with this whole rejection thing so I'll just be over there minding my own business and knowing all kinds of stuff that you guys don't. Plus I just figured it out on my own anyway.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "What kind of music do you usually have here ma'am?"

"We've got both kinds. Country and Western."

5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    My abjectest apologies-- I overlooked your post somehow, which is, like, really bad after I left the hook out there. I'm a careless fool practicing snobbery by accident... I'm gonna go stick my head in a bucket of water three times and pull it out twice...

Anyway, its the line about duct tape shoes-- that's gotta be Blaze Foley...

For THE song about Townes see "Fort Worth Blues" written and recorded by Steve Earle and then covered by Guy Clark...

6. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second these recommendations, especially Anodyne.

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

[bungadiri runs off and "randomly" works this piece of information into the next seven conversations he has.]

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Bump.

I bought the new Son Volt, Okemah and the Melody of Riot, release from iTunes music store last week. I like it.

So which Willie Nelson should I get? What is the album every collection should contain?

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Willie's catalogue of music is vast and varied. Though not an "album" per se, this 2 CD set is still a great place to start:

[​IMG]

PS - I'm going to mail out your CD tomorrow Mike.

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Thanks and thanks.

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Mike, this is an awfully good album of the high profile, and it'll give you "Radio Willie" just fine; with my usual instinct for the weird I'd like to argue that that's not what you should be listening to.

Willie's a stoner. Willie's an Indian. Willies a Texan. Willie's a jazzbo. Willie's a stream of consciousness type performer; he'd be in a jam band except for he's not a great instrumentalist and he sings song-songs... Some of my friends are his friends, and they don't love him because of money-and-success stuff, but because his taste and his professionalism and his sense of beauty and his sense of fun are all aspects of one undifferentiated mass that is his life- and he likes to have company while experienceing all of them. . The commercial Willie is not the thing that has made him one of the truly beloved men of our time...

That's a build-up to a recommendation for an album that gets quite limp reviews, because there's no fireworks to it... "The Sound In Your Mind." It was recorded right after "Red Headed Stranger" finally broke his career through into success (1976), because he needed a followup; rather than bells and whistles, he recorded a collection of songs that were on his mind, including one that he thought should have been a hit for someone else but became one for him, added some live stuff, and came out with an album which just sounds like what makes Willie great... Its relaxed. Its perceptive. It respects tradition. It finds new values. Its generous and friendly. It helps an unknown artist. It pays tribute to the ones who came before. Like Willie himself, it is a river with one end at a spring fed with cear ancient waters and the other at a fertile delta bordering on an ocean vast with the awe of possibility.

Its all that and retails these days for 7 or 8 bucks, pilgrim... such a deal :cool:

Anyways-- if your looking for a hits package the one above is very good. The other album I hold onto is "Willie and Family Live" which is just a couple of years after "Sound In Your Mind" and has much of the same material, but a full two cd concert performance...

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Just ordered these from Amazon

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Be interested to hear what you think of "Red Headed Stranger."

14. Jam Econo

Jam Econo Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Left of the 405
    I just read that Willie is coming out (this week?) with a reggae album entitled 'Countryman'.

Also, from that neck of the woods, I don't think I've seen any mention yet in this thread of the Derailers. If you like Buck Owens, these guys are for you.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The album was recorded 10 years or so ago and the record company wouldn't release it.

Amazon's review is less than flattering:

"...It's easy to understand why this project was shelved by Nelson's previous label for nine years. There are no musical sparks, and the buoyant rhythms trivialize the strong lyrics of Nelson classics like "Darkness on the Face of the Earth." But his voice is still mellow gold, and there are tunes--like his duet with reggae/R&B singer Toots Hibbert on Johnny Cash's "I'm a Worried Man" and his own somber reading of Jimmy Cliff's "Sitting in Limbo"--that tap into the souls of desperate men to extol the power of faith over adversity. Nonetheless, this one's for hardcore fans and completists only."

16. UncleKizzle

UncleKizzle New Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Madrid
    I would buy it for the Toots alone.