C-usa

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by 5hole, Jul 15, 2005.

1. 5hole

5hole Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    With all the conference changes, what do you think about the totally restructured Conference USA? They have 4 teams that made it to last year's NCAA (UAB, UCF, Rice, and SMU) and went 2-2 in the 1st round. UCF beat the SEC Tourney Champs 3-2 in the 1st round and UAB Beat Wake with SMU and Rice both playing well. Memphis also looks to be strong with a huge class coming in. The bottom half may have a few teams that will improve in the future but where do you think this conference will rank in women's soccer? The men's side should be 1 of the best with Kentucky, South Carolina and FIU all joining in with Tulsa, UAB, SMU, UCF, Memphis etc . .

2. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    SMU is the only team in this conference I've seen in person, so I'll give you my feel on them.

I think the Mustangs will have a good team this year again.

SoccerBuzz had them as having the 4th-best recruiting class in the conference this year, and they still have two more years of the Olivia O'Rear Era up top. I was impressed with her pace when WVU played them in the NCAA Tournament. Kimber Bailey gives them a lot of goals from defense.

Just glancing at who they lost, they're going to have two big holes to fill, in my opinion: Jill Heinemann's playmaker role, and goalkeeping, with starter Amanda Clark's graduation.

3. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    C-USA has changed? I hadn't noticed. Next you'll be telling me that the Big East now looks as much like the old C-USA as the new C-USA does.

But seriously.

My first guess was that the addition of SMU is the one change that will make a significant difference to C-USA.

After looking at the Jones ratings I don't think my first guess was too bad. If form holds, SMU will be the best team in the conference and Rice, UCF and UAB will be the potential challengers. Only one of those teams was in C-USA last year. The team leaving C-USA that was competitive with the 'challengers' last year is St. Louis.

Joining C-USA are SMU, Central Florida, Rice, UTEP, Tulsa, Marshall.

Leaving are St. Louis, Marquette, DePaul, Louisville, TCU, Charlotte, South Florida, Cincinnati.

Remaining in C-USA are UAB, East Carolina, Memphis, Tulane, Southern Miss., Houston.

There are more teams leaving than staying and there will be as many of last season's C-USA teams in the Big East as in C-USA.

The top ten Jones ratings (last year- end of season) of all of those teams are:

_______Team_____Rank_Rating_SE__ W- L-T
    ____________SMU__ 35_ 1757_ 72__15- 4-3 +
    ____________UAB__ 49_ 1669_ 72__16- 6-1
    ______St. Louis__ 54_ 1648_ 69__15- 6-1 -
    Central Florida__ 55_ 1645_ 78__17- 5-1 +
    ___________Rice__ 73_ 1586_ 67__14- 5-3 +
    ______Marquette__ 82_ 1549_ 70__12- 8-1 -
    ___________UTEP_ 105_ 1484_ 73__13- 5-1 +
    ________De Paul_ 131_ 1435_ 68__ 9- 9-2 -
    _____Louisville_ 134_ 1425_ 67__12- 5-3 -
    __East Carolina_ 148_ 1399_ 69__ 8- 9-2

The addition of SMU will definately strengthen C-USA. After that there are some teams with similar ratings joining and leaving the conference.

But you could look at it this way: SMU replaces St. Louis. Central Florida replaces Marquette. Rice replaces DePaul. Those changes should strengthen C-USA.

But I doubt that the general perception of C-USA will change much. C-USA will remain what it has been, a good conference, definately a level below some other confernces, but also somewhat under-rated in comparison to certain other conferences that get more publicity.

4. 5hole

5hole Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Great analysis although I am not sure the UCF for Marquette trade off seems a bit accurate. UCF beat UF and FSU, and advanced in the tourney. It should be an overall interesting year for everyone as the conference is totally different. Am interested to see how it pans out. As far as the other conferences I agree that it is not as strong from top to bottom for sure, but UAB, SMU and UCF (and even Rice and Memphis) seem competitive with some of the best teams in the country. SMU has beaten some of the best in the south, UCF some of the best in the Southeast and and UAB has put together some great seasons beating a quality ACC team in the tourney. Not a top 3 or 4 conference but a great bracket buster conference. Think 3 or 4 teams could make some noise in the postseason.

5. 5hole

5hole Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    C-USA Preseason Poll

IRVING, Texas -- SMU, coming off its fourth consecutive NCAA appearance, has been selected to win the 2005 Conference USA Women's Soccer Championship by the league's coaches. Junior forward Olivia O'Rear of SMU was named the Preseason C-USA Offensive Player of the Year, and UAB junior defender Pam Cooney was chosen as the C-USA Defensive Player of the Year.

The Mustangs compiled a 15-4-3 overall record last season under head coach John Cossaboon. SMU returns 2004 NSCAA All-Region second team selection O'Rear, who has led the Mustang scoring attack the last two seasons. Also returning from a stellar freshman season is sophomore defender/midfielder Kimber Bailey. The duo combined for 33 goals last season.

UCF was picked second in the coaches' vote, followed by UAB in third. Both teams also earned a berth to the NCAA Tournament in 2004. The Golden Knights earned an at-large berth and are currently ranked No. 28 in the SoccerBuzz.com preseason poll.

The Blazers earned their first NCAA bid, advancing to the second round of the tournament with a 2-0 victory against Wake Forest. A key to that success was Cooney, who earned C-USA All-Tournament Team honors as well as a selection on the All-C-USA third team last season. She also anchored a defense that recorded eight shutouts - the second-most for a single season in school history.

Rice has been tabbed to finish fourth in the league this season. The Owls will be seeking their second consecutive NCAA Tournament bid under head coach Chris Huston.

Memphis has been picked to finish fifth, in front of UTEP. East Carolina earned the No. 7 spot in the preseason rankings, and should be led by two-time All-Conference USA first team selection Meghan McCallion. Tulsa has been picked to finish eighth. Tulane, Houston, Marshall and Southern Miss fill in the last four slots, respectively.

The top eight finishers in the regular season earn a spot in the 2005 Conference USA Tournament, hosted by Rice University November 2-5. The league's 11th season kicks off Friday, August 26.

2005 C-USA PRESEASON POLL
    (as selected by C-USA coaches)
    1. SMU
    2. UCF
    3. UAB
    4. Rice
    5. Memphis
    6. UTEP
    7. East Carolina
    8. Tulsa
    9. Tulane
    10. Houston