C. Ronaldo, best WF of all-time?

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Perú FC, Feb 26, 2015.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Well, he scored 17 goals in 29 games until the end of December 1971 in the 1971-72 season. He scored 13 goals in the first 17 games (until 23 October 1971). In the first half of the 1971 calender year he scored 13 in 19 games. For Northern Ireland he scored 4 goals in 6 games. That's all 'easy' to check within 5 minutes. He also scored some of those from the penalty spot but don't want to check that right now.

I believe it is right though that many complained about his irregular performances and unreliable demeanor, and there are many instances in history of players who kept on scoring well, without being rated just as well (like another favorite of you, Littbarski, or Savicevic even).

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes Ronaldinho was better talent and had short (better) peak than CR7

But overall, may be Roanldinho will get slightly higher (for CR7 club form and longevity) - bottom line they will be all in TOP30-50

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, scoring rates don't say everything especially for players whose main assets are elsewhere (arguably it was one of Best's best attributes but not the only one ofc). It could be a case of a better 1971 calendar year than 70/71 season or 71/72 season as a whole. And it could be a case that he was still near his best, or in some ways at his best, at times but that other factors come into play if trying to judge his seasons I suppose.

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yes, that was why the coach had to change Best's shirt number ... (#7 <> #11 back and forth ) because he was so freely in moving from one side to another at will and even to center forward

5. Scanderbeg

Scanderbeg Member

May 22, 2014
    Cr7 is not even a winger....
    Is not a winger from the last year at Manchester united

6. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    People have trouble understanding this. Ronaldo hasn't been a winger since 06. And he was a slightly above average winger at that, nothing spectacular and inconsistent. I was watching a replay of an old ManU vs chelsea where Ronaldo was such a peripheral figure on the wing, he was subbed out in the 60th. His only contribution was some unsuccessful step-overs. He was mocked in England before his blow up season which coincided with his free role having Tevez and Rooney playing providers.

As a winger, Di Maria's last season is superior than anything Ronaldo ever did on the wing.

Edhardy and Bada Bing repped this.
  7. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Youngest player to ever play in a Euro final, after making his way into the Starting XI of a Portugal team that was known for its wingers at the time, (along with starting for a small club called Manchester United) yet he was ''slightly above average'. He was so inconsistent and 'nothing spectacular' yet somehow managed to get into the Premier League Team of the Year for 2005-2006. You very clearly do not have any idea what you are talking about and I very much would doubt if you ever watched him play during that time period.

8. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    EPL team of the year ?? Lol that's your golden standard for performance now. I have watched Ronaldo as a winger, I have seen countless of his flashy step-overs with no end result. Had he stayed in this position, he would have been just another winger. Starting for a team is an achievement ? Do you want to compare him to Messi at 19 ? I thought so..

Ronaldo's career effectively started when he abandoned his position and became a free-roaming CF.

Bada Bing repped this.
  9. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Troll is obvious

10. DazerII

DazerII Member

May 27, 2011
    Either you are Bada Bing or just trolling because the above makes no sense whatsoever.

11. C.Ronaldo goat

Chelsea
    Spain
    Mar 28, 2018
    C.Ronaldo is far above anyone named on this thread, he's the king because he steps up in big matches, he's the most complete player you will ever see.