BVB transfer rumours

Discussion in 'Germany' started by jonam, Oct 14, 2003.

1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We are just fine with Bert van Marwijk. Hitzfeld is probably going to Real Madrid. Sammer is actually a pretty BAD trainer and the club will not bring him back. At least not as trainer. Maybe a management position in the future, but not as trainer.

Not until he improves.

And I know you'll say, "But he won a title!" "But we almost beat Real Madrid in the CL!"

We only won the title because FC Nuernberg upset Leverkusen on the next to last day of the season. On that very day, we almost threw away a two goal lead in Hamburg. I know. I was there.

I was also in Dortmund on the final day. We were throughly outplayed by Bremen that day and were LUCKY to win.

We didn't win that title because Sammer was a great trainer. We won that title because we had the most expensive squad in the league and we got VERY LUCKY!!!

And as I just told you in another post, we only lost that matchup with Real Madrid because of a stupid move on Sammer's part!!

He lost the team from that point on. The demise of Borussia Dortmund can be traced directly back to that stupid move by Sammer.

I don't think the team ever got over it. And instead of leading the team back, Sammer thought the way to get them to play well again was to pit them against one another. It totally destroyed team morale.

Morale that Bert van Marwijk (BvM) is just starting to re-build in this team.

BvM is the right man for the Borussia Dortmund job.

Hiring BvM was one of the few things the previous management team did right in the past two years.

Their two major mistakes were not getting to know what was really going on in the transfer market and completely overpaying for players and keeping Sammer around two seasons too long.

2. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ewww... bad move. No disrespect to Hitzfeld, who is a brilliant tactician and coach, but Real is an all out attacking team and Hitzfeld is a defend and counter coach. These two will not match... it surely didn't when Ballack and Ze Roberto and the attacking players of that nature came into Munich under Hitzfeld's last two seasons.

Not a wise move, but hey, let RM fall further from the ranks. :D

3. EastAsian

EastAsian Red Card

Apr 23, 2005
    basically RM is commiting suicide right now, they keep buying attacking players and Woodgate or Samuel simply don't lift up to expectations. :D

4. EastAsian

EastAsian Red Card

Apr 23, 2005
    Perhaps RM is only good at buying famous players :D

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They certainly have no clue as how to build a team......

6. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With all due respect, Hitzfeld wasn't Bayern's problem in his last two seasons. Bayern's problem was that they never replaced the on-pitch leadership of one Stefan Effenberg.

They still haven't replaced that leadership, but now they have a coach with a stronger personality on the bench (Magath) who's better at taking certain players to task when they don't perform than Hitzfeld was. The players I'm referring to??

Ballack, Ze Roberto, Pizarro and Roque Santa Cruz

Back to Dortmund. I think Hitzfeld coming back would be welcomed by many. A few probably would never forgive him for leaving for Bayern. However, right now, Bert van Marwijk is the man. He's turning this Dortmund team around before our very eyes.

We don't need Hitzfeld anymore. We've finally found a man who has actually replaced him.

7. EastAsian

EastAsian Red Card

Apr 23, 2005
    I rather have Sammer back than keeping this dutch coach. I really don't like him. I don't really know why I don't like him since bvb have improved recently. But I really want Sammer back and lead the squad, since I think he did a good job at bvb as the coach. They won the bundesliga, then almost beat Real Madrid twice and would have eliminated them. At that time, the squad were very balanced. Of course, that last minute goal may be because of his fault, but then overall I think he was very good. Now I follow Sttugart closely since they are lead by Sammer and I like their current players and playing styles( I am sure they will qualify). I like team playing conservatively with patience. But I think this dutch coach is playing attacking football a lot.

8. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man, you should have been on my list. You are really uninformed as to what Sammer did before he left Dortmund. Sammer was the one who left that team in shambles. The same thing is beginning to happen in Stuttgart.

And I went into this. We didn't win the Bundesliga because on anything Sammer did. We didn't win the Bundesliga because of Sammer, WE WON IT DESPITE SAMMER!!

That was the one or two seasons where we actually had MORE talent than Bayern or Leverkusen and Sammer still managed to screw it up! Were it not for 1. FC Nuernberg, WE WOULD HAVE FINISHED SECOND the season we won!

Apparently, you can't take your mind off the "good old days". That's fine. Keep your eyes on VfB Stuttgart. They only are where they are now because of the quality players on that team.

The Stuttgart fans have already started some "Sammer Raus" (Sammer Out!) chants.

Apparently, you have a blind loyalty to Matthias Sammer. That's fine. Many Dortmund fans still do too. But you will see almost NONE of them who'd rather have Sammer back over Bert van Marwijk.

When this is all said and done, Matthias Sammer will still be a Dortmund legend as a player.

But his legacy as a trainer will eventually be that BONEHEAD mistake that cost us our CL run against Real and being a part of the four-headed monster that almsost destroyed our club.

9. skeeta

skeeta Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Central London
    So is Rosicky up for sale?

interested Man Utd fan

10. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What were some of the things that Sammer did that screwed up the club?

I'm not objecting. I'm just curious.

11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1) Most of all. Sammer destroyed the team's confidence in themselves and each other.

2) Sammer was the one who got management to buy expensive new players instead of giving young players their shots. Take a look at Stuttgart right now. Instead of keeping up Magath's program of improving through their amateur side, Sammer is buying and acquiring outside players and VfB Stuttgart are about to lose one of Germany's best U-20 strikers (Mario Gomez)because of it.

Sammer only plays youngsters when he's forced to.

3) I'm certain Sammer's incompetence is the major reason the team lost confidence in him. Sammer's creating cliques in the team with his favorites happened after the team lost confidence in him.

The beginning of the downturn in the fortunes of Borussia Dortmund can be traced back on one single BONEHEADED mistake by Matthias Sammer. The CL quarter-final substitution of our best defender, Dede, for a damned striker, Marcio Amoroso, when all we needed to do was to keep Real Madrid off the scoresheet for another two minutes!!!

I think the players just had it with Sammer from that point on. Sammer never took full responsibility for the mistake. He's hinted that it's his fault, but he never, ever stood up and took responsibility that I'm aware of.

On the same incompetence point, Sammer couldn't teach the players a damned thing. Sammer seems to have never learned that no matter how talented young players are, they still need guidance, instruction, competent leadership and a competent tactician in the trainer's seat.

Sammer never taught those players a thing. He just threw them out there and expected them to win. I can count the number of times I saw Matthias Sammer adjust tactics during a match on one hand.

I blame Matthias Sammer fully for the regression of players like Tomas Rosicky, Sebastian Kehl and Lars Ricken. These players needed someone to help them continue to learn their place within the game. Not someone who just yelled at them and threw them under the bus when they didn't win.

I don't think I ever heard someone say "I warned them" (Being equal to, "I told them so") more than Matthias Sammer.

Instead of "warning" them, why didn't he teach them better? He's the trainer.

The answer is he couldn't!!! He didn't know how to!! And apparently, from asking Stuttgart fans, he still doesn't know how to!

He just blames the players!

Bert van Marwijk is getting better performances out of this team now with much less talent than Sammer had!

The key will be to see if BvM can keep it up.

When our problems were going on under Sammer, the players always looked unhappy to be out on the pitch. Management always said they would make it "fun" for the players again. That wasn't possible. The one making them miserable was their incompetent trainer Sammer.

The players now have a competent trainer who's teaching them and making the game fun again. And it's showing.

Stuttgart? Yes, they are sitting third now, but remember, we did well under Sammer at first too. Sammer is a master motivator. The problem is, he doesn't know how to do anything else. And the problem with pure motivators is that eventually, when the players figure out their trainer can't teach them, but all he can do is push them, they will eventually tune him out.

And the players there in Stuttgart will tune him out just as the players in Dortmund did.

Some Stuttgart fans already believe that's happening.

So, while the ultimate blame for Dortmund's demise has to be laid squarely at the feet of Niebaum, Meier and Zorc, Sammer definitely played his part.

Sammer played a MAJOR ROLE in this tragedy.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    ^^^^ really doesn't like Sammer. :D

Anyways I hear Odonkor is being targeted by Lazio... hmm not a wise move with all those radical fans.

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are referring to me, that statement isn't totally true. I still revere Sammer the player and what he did for Borussia Dortmund. However, Sammer the trainer is crap and only got so long to destroy our team because of Sammer the player's legend.

People just didn't want to see where Sammer screwing everything up with the players. So naturally, they blamed the players.

Bert van Marwijk (BvM) is now showing us just how much of the team's problems were a direct result of Sammer's incompetence and inability to lead or teach as a TRAINER would.

VfB Stuttgart fans are starting to see that themselves.

BVB have denied any offer from Nazio for Odonkor. Plus, the club has already stated its wish to keep both Odonkor and Gambino for next season. I believe Nazio already has two black players, but we do agree. I would NEVER suggest signing with Nazio Rome to any "black" player.........

14. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt Sammer was an amazing player - he was one of Germany's best players of the '90's, and he almost single-handedly won Euro96 (along with Klinsmann and Bierhoff). But I noticed his tactics with BVB were crap - there was just a lot of kicking up and down the field at times.

BVB do seem to be a bit more organized and disciplined under Van Majrwik.

15. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Does anyone know if Smolarek is staying?
    Based on what I've read, and my close following of the Bundesliga this year we're almost bound to lose:
    Weidenfeller, Dede (Chelsea?), Ewerthon (but to who?), Koller, (same question?), and Rosicky (the same question as the last 2).
    Yet, we still got the following players to build around from:
    Worns, the Metzelder brothers, Madouni, Kehl, (Demel?), Ricken, (Smolarek?), Odonkor, Senesie, Gambino---despite what many say I think having such a young and inexperienced squad will only benefit us in the future. These players are gonna be key in a few years, and if they start now (despite not being able to product right away), I can almost guarantee they will produce in 1 1/2-2 yrs maybe.
    We definitely need a GK and someone up front. Are we supposed to get Owomoyela? Cuz I know he is bound to leave Arminia.
    metro

16. Schaumann

Schaumann New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    St. Louis, MO USA
    --Smolarek has already been signed

--Weidenfeller isn't going anywhere

--Ewerthon will go back to Brazil

--DeDe isn't going anywhere

--Koller isn't going anywhere

--Rosicky is still up in the air

--Metze's brother was released

--Madouni was released

--Demel was released

--Owomoyela is going to Bremen

--we signed Buckley

17. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That's very relieving to know, mate.
    Thanks! :)

18. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It would be strange to see Koller in anything other than schwartz und gelb.

19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    My guess is that Ewerthon would probably go to Corinthians???
    Metro

20. Schaumann

Schaumann New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Agreed. . .but he may very well depart after his contract expires at the conclusion of next season.

Ewerthon. . .yeah the primary rumors suggest a move to Corinthians.

21. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BayernWake
    It would be strange to see Koller in anything other than schwartz und gelb.

I think that depends on how we do next season. If we can make it back to the CL, I think he'll stay. I think he's leaning toward staying anyhow. I think he'd make sure the club can get a transfer fee for him.

Haven't heard those. Where are you getting that?

POST IT TO THE LIST!! :D

Thanks!!

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Slight correction. That's "schwarz". "Schwarz-Gelb" (Black-Yellow)

23. Schaumann

Schaumann New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    St. Louis, MO USA
    . . .looking back on my bullet-pointed post, the Ewerthon item is the only one I'm not 100% on, just hearing some rumors on quasi-reputable sites and a couple message boards. No way he stays though, I have nothing against him but he's most certainly not involved in BvM's plans next season.

Someone tell us more about the Dutch keeper we just signed!!!

24. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    The GK we signed today is Dennis Gentenaar of NEC Nijmegen. 29y old, experienced player that was voted Dutch GK of the year in 2002/03 IIRC. There were rumours during the past couple of years that we were having an eye on him. I am just wondering why he wants to become a backup player?!? IMHO it's not the money as our budget for a new GK was just 300.000 Euro salary per year. Really wondering why he joined us......

[​IMG]

p.s.: 1y contract

25. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can only think of two reasons:

1) He wants to play for BvM.

2) He hopes to actually beat out Weidenfeller.

Why aren't we having this conversation on the list??