BVB In The 2011-2012 Champions' League [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right.

2. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :rolleyes:

Bvb 2 marseille 3

3. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And that's all she wrote. What an amazing strike from Valbuena.

4. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No excuses there, they shit their pants.

5. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That was a beautiful strike by Valbuena. Can Marseille hang on?

7. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The team quit when Marseille pulled one back in the first half.

8. Swizzy

Swizzy Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    What a tale of two halves. Amazing shot and buildup by Valbuena.

9. zuraw_polska

zuraw_polska New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    I guess it is a worse nite for Perisic...

10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As soon as Dortmund came out and played the way they did, and Klopp removed Goetze who was their ONLY penetrative threat, I knew Marseille would come back.

Utterly gutless and embarrassing and I hate summarizing matches like this but it was nothing less than that in the second half.

Klopp seriously needs to take some tactics lessons.

11. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    .... good luck to bvb in europe next year.. sigh
    what a game.. congrats Marselle

12. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was watching Leverkusen on another channel. Sounds like I missed a humdinger here.

Klippety-Klopp, out you trot.

13. Kais3r

Kais3r Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Am gutted :(

Dortmund for all their heart missed too many chances, individual errors (defence) and showed inexperience in their approach/tactics.

For those three reasons they failed in Europe.

Todays match also showed that they need to improve some areas of their squad if they are to challenge next year in Europe, and that obviously means not letting the likes of Gotze, Subo, Barrios leave!

14. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Credit to Marseille though, what a great comeback. One of the most brilliant European performances in history for them.

15. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep, I've just seen the winner - one of the goals of the CL this season so far for me. Olympiakos deserve the Europa League slot, and Dortmund pretty much earned the wooden spoon for some fairly ordinary performances.

Klopp was lauded by all and sundry last year, I think this campaign has shown that he isn't quite up there with the Happels, Hitzfelds and Heynckes quite yet.

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Right. He was lauded for what he did domestically but it takes something entirely different in Europe. He's simply not a very good tactician at this point and to prepare for next season, big changes need to be made regarding personnel but also for himself.

17. albert_mk87

albert_mk87 Member+

Aug 27, 2008
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i thought i was in a bayern forum here no BVB posters at all

18. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, they're obviously (and rightfully) not interested in argueing with Bayern fans gloating over their international exit. Why don't you keep your Schadenfreude & lecturing in your own section?

19. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's a shame Sahin left over the summer. He would have provided the leadership and guile to get Dortmund at least a few more points in this excuse of a CL group...

;)

20. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you need a proof of his tactical incompetence, just watch your home game against Dortmund once again. :))

What does their game tonight have to do with bad tactics?? After a great first half and unlucky goal they conceded just seconds before the interval, the last (small) hope was probably gone (especially with the result from Greece). It's quite normal that Marseille tried everything to get the 3 points in the end, as it was their only chance to advance. Nevertheless, they needed 2 late goals ... so yes, the main reason for Dortmund's defeat is definitely Kloppo's bad tactics! LOOOL.

Btw: The early exit may be bad for the international reputation of Dortmund & the BL ... but it's definitely not that bad for them concerning the BL title race.

21. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm sorry, which game is that? I'm confused.

In general, Klopp's reliance on plan A is painfully obvious. In Europe you simply cannot just counter and press, especially when a pressing game is that of precision and experience. You will always be caught out. Now, Klopp didn't prepare a single alternative before the competition and it's caught them out on three occasions. Against Olympiakos and Bayern for instance they practiced a more conservative approach but both of those matches were extremely close and anything but convincing. It was a sign of progression though.

You can laugh all you want, and you may want to try harder to make a clearer point because nobody said tonight was about bad tactics alone. However, a team isn't just sent out and told to play however they like. There must be a plan and then there is the degree of precision and expertise in its execution. Players can try and play with all their might as much as they can but it's naive and insulting to think a coach's decisions have nothing to do with it. Part of Dortmund's first half was the excellent penetration in the final third. Taking Goetze off for instance put that to a halt and Dortmund became nervous, played too wide and isolated Lewandowski. Of course there were little alternatives and Dortmund needed to score. Still, it's indicative of the position they put themselves in because of the lack of planning beforehand.

Moreover, show me an example of a successful European side with the approach Dortmund have taken. Klopp is simply as inexperienced as his team and it's a learning curve for him but the point remains is he must realize this. I think he shares a bit of the blame because your players are only as prepared as you make them and he, as the coach has the necessary foresight to plan for the European stage. He clearly didn't as indicated by his summer moves, or lack of.

I for one hope he adjusts his tactics eventually because only a year isn't enough to make such a big difference in experience for such a young group as is currently available.

22. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The players (fans too) had lost all hope after Marseille's first goal. It was over then.

The worst part of the game was losing Kehl.

23. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Perhaps the biggest irony here was that Kehl was probably one of the liabilities in the earlier games.

24. albert_mk87

albert_mk87 Member+

Aug 27, 2008
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    r u talking to me or ? Because i just asked and that was my first post here i didn't lecture anybody

25. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't care how old he is. If he's out there at this level, he'd better make 100% chances whether he's 19 or 39.

And if there is a big criticism of Gotze, it is that he misses big chances.