BVB 2011-2012 General Discussion Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Jun 21, 2011.

?

How Will Borussia Dortmund Fare In The Upcoming 2011/2012 Bundesliga Season?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2011.
  1. BVB Will Repeat As Bundesliga Champions

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. BVB Will Finish In One Of Bundesliga's CL Places (2nd, 3rd or 4th)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BVB Will Finish In A Europa League Spot (5th or 6th)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. BVB Will Finish Between 7th & 10th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. BVB Will Finish Between 11th & 15th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. BVB Will Wind Up In The Relegation Playoff (16th)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. BVB Will Be Relegated (17th or 18th)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I Don't Know How BVB Will Do, I Just Want The New Season To Get Here!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great news....i am a huge fan of Klopp and it's nice to see that Klopp REALLY likes it at the club....

hopefully this will be to an end to chatter from liverpool about 'pool stealing Klopp away....

King Kenny is just a band-aid on that massive headwound

2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When or if Klopp ever leaves Dortmund, I think it will be for the Germany job.......

3. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmm...i dont know...he likes to be involved day to day with the players..it's a much different experience as a NT coach....i see him going to england one day....hopefully in 20 years

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nah. He's said he would love to be Germany trainer one day.

I believe him.

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An article from the Official Borussia Dortmund website on Lucas Barrios remaining with BVB. Click here for the original article in German.

This was a “rushed” job, so I might not have gotten some things right. I don’t translate “literally” anyhow. ;)

“Lucas Remaining With Us Was In Our Best Interest”

[​IMG]

The fans responded with relief and Jürgen Klopp was pleased that Lucas Barrios will remain with Borussia Dortmund.“We dealt with the matter very openly. We can understand that a player of his class in his situation would request a transfer”, said Klopp. The striker, who scored 35 Bundesliga goals in his first two seasons with Borussia Dortmund lost his starting place to Robert Lewandowski thanks to a lengthy injury absence.

“We didn’t make any special effort to give him up. And personally, I am very satisfied with this decision”, said Klopp. Barrios canceled his availability to potential suitors on Tuesday. Klopp added, “Lucas remaining with us was in our (best) interest.”

Barrios was quoted on internet forums as stating, “I am happy to remain in Dortmund.” Barrios also stated the Borussia Dortmund fans, who serenaded him after Dortmund’s 3-1 victory over Hoffenheim this past weekend, were a major part in convincing him to stay. Barrios, who joined Borussia Dortmund in 2009 from Chilean club Colo Colo, said of the BVB fans, “They are the ones who convinced me to not only stay, but fight to win back my starting place.”

Barrios missed training on Tuesday due to muscular issues. He should be back in training with the team today (Wednesday).

Klopp wished Mohamed Zidan, who did wind up leaving the club instead of Barrios, well. Klopp called the decision to allow Zidan to re-join their former club, 1. FSV Mainz 05, “a matter of fairness.”

Klopp also wished Zidan well, stating: “I am happy he is a Mainz player again.”

Klopp also talked up the chances of BVB II strikers Terrence Boyd and Marvin Ducksch, stating, “They are getting closer.”

6. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Wow just 6 months ago who would have thought that Lucas Barrios would lose his place to Lewa ? After BVB struggling in the first 10-15 games (bundesliga and champions league) everybody was thinking it's because Barrios was missing. He cant even get a game now.I never rated Lewa. I thought he is just an above average player. Good squad player. I read the hype about him 2-3 weeks ago and when I think about it maybe they are right. That long range shot at the Emirates was magnificent. It really was. And I agree with people who say that he is like a more athletic Berbatov. Barrios misses a few sitters per game but still he contributes a lot and deserves more than 5-10 min per game.

7. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dude, right at four months ago even. The Augsburg match (held on 1 October 2011) is the point where Lewandowski, as I like to say, "finally pulled his head out of his ass." ;)

Dude. You must not have been here if you believe that's what "everybody was thinking."

Far more people, here and elsewhere, were simply putting it down to the departure of Nuri Sahin.

I thought most of it was being made to pay for stupid mistakes we made. Especially in the CL.

Where Lewa was killing us was in the Bundesliga. But that was just missed chances. He did make some too, but usually when the match was decided.

As others have noted before, Lewa was still playing well. But Lewandowski wasn't doing what he was paid to do when we needed him to do it. He didn't blow just a few chances, he blew a boatload. He was the worst striker in the league when it came to chance conversion. That's not my opinion, it was statistically true.

And no, again, Lewa wasn't the only one. But more often than not, when we needed one, he was the guy walking away from a sure chance with his hands on his head or over his face.

That had to stop.

And fortunately for him and us, Lewandowski pulled his head out of his ass right before Barrios was due to return from injury........

It is amazing.......

You definitely weren't here then. Some of us chalked the problems Lewandowski had last season down to nervousness. He seemed to start this season the same way.

However, even with his nervousness issues, anyone seeing him play regularly (I was still in Germany all of last season) could see he has special talent. He just couldn't bring it out.

Ask the people who were here. We had discussions and arguments about it.

I think the difference is, he's finally comfortable this season. He's relaxing and just playing the game.

When he knew Lucas was coming back, I think he finally told himself to stop worrying about carrying the team and play his game.

And since then, he's been arguably the hottest striker in the Bundesliga. "Best player" can be argued, but I think we did argue about that! LOL!! :D

You're using that as just an example right? I hope so. Never judge anyone based on a long-range shot. Even the best at it will tell you those mostly come down to everything falling into place at that very moment.

But this guy has special talent. I really couldn't see it until the later part of last season. I gave this guy far more benefit of the doubt than I can remember giving any other player recently. You could just see it.........

I think Lewa's all around game is better than Berbatov's. I like Berbatov, but I know his faults all too well.

It isn't as if Barrios is being screwed. I'm sorry, but you don't sit a guy who is quite possibly the hottest striker in the league just to save Barrios' feelings.

That just isn't how it works.

Jürgen Klopp is the one who gets to decide what Barrios "deserves." Not you or me.

8. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Footy, what do you think will be our best starting XI next season ?

goetze-leitner-bender-bittencourt
    ----------reus-----------------
    ----------lewa-----------------

or maybe reus on the right wing with kagawa behind lewa and goetze on the left. Bittencourt on the bench.

9. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think Klopp is changing our formation. I think we'll still play in a 4-2-3-1.

Your question depends on whether Kagawa stays or not.

If Kagawa stays, I think you'll see the current lineup with Götze replacing Grosskreutz on the left and Reus playing on the right.

If Kagawa goes, I believe Götze moves to the center position with Grosskreutz on the left and Reus on the right.

I actually think a bigger potential problem than Barrios possibly still wanting out will be what will they do if we cannot get Felipe Santana to extend.......

10. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes! Santana filled in well...when Subotic was injured earlier this winter...
    he would be a starter on most BL teams...
    valuable valuable player on the bench...him and Owo are a big help

11. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And Santana knows this. Leverkusen were interested in him, but BVB wasn't going to sell.

I really don't think Santana will extend his contract (he still has one more season to go after this one) if one of the two guys in front of him doesn't go.

Whether Owo stays or not will depend on what Julian Koch looks like before this season is over.

If Koch doesn't show significant progress, I'm sure we'll keep Owo around another season. That is, if Owo wants to stay. I think he does.

If Koch does show the progress BVB wants to see, Owo is history. He'll be allowed to walk after this season.

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Santana is good enough to start on any other bundesliga team.

And does anyone know the pay structure? Where does Reus sit?

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The club says he won't make more than Hummels and the other highest paid players on the team.

What does this matter anyhow?

14. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Being the biggest incoming transfer in 10 years, I thought that he might be paid so much that the coach would feel he had to constantly be included in the team. Glad it looks like it won't play out that way.

15. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as his form holds, I think his talent would be the thing to make Klopp feel he has to constantly be included in the team. Honestly, I think he could start over both Grosskreutz and Kagawa in the attacking 5.

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BVB isn't about to destroy the structure they've built. We may never build a CL winning side this way, but it should keep us competitive for awhile.

We simply lucked out that a talent like Reus happens to be a "Dortmunder Jung" and wants to try to take the next step in his career at home.

We're not going to get many more talents like him if they are from other places and they want Bayern's money........

17. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is correct. And if Kagawa decides to stay with us, which I still suspect he will not, Grosskreutz will find himself on the bench next season in favor of his friend (Reus).

As I've said recently, I believe if Kagawa leaves, Götze moves to the center position with Grosskreutz on the left and Reus on the right.

18. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep, either that or Reus on Kagawa's position and Götze remains on the right. But I expect to see Götze in the centre too in case Kagawa leaves.

Kagawa and his agent will negotiate with Dortmund in the next weeks, so if we haven't heard anything until ~ March, you can be pretty sure that he won't be around next season.

19. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very true. Good catch!!

I'm hoping he stays. I'm prepared for him to go, but I don't want him to go......

20. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Reus is far better centrally than Goetze at this point and I think the former might actually take that position if Kagawa is sold or dropped.

21. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Where does Kagawa think he will go ? Inter?Manchester united ? Chelsea? He believes the hype too much. He misses too many chances.Look at Sahin now.He is not even on the bench for Madrid.Dortmund made him what he is and he should be grateful.His career will go downhill.His bank account may improve but he will not be happy again.Fact. :d ;). Viva BVB!

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As much as I've been the one making others understand that the BVB team doesn't miss Sahin, it is unfair to just say "he is not even on the bench for Real Madrid."

While that is true, it is mostly because of early injuries and Sahin's needing to fight back through it......

23. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't remember a word out of him that made him sound like he's "believing hype". So you shouldn't be claiming he is out of nowhere. Don't chuck a hissy just cause he hasn't put pen to paper yet.

If anything I reckon he's just aware that as he keeps playing like this, his negotiating power with BVB will be better and he may be able to negotiate a better wage.

24. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can't argue with this.

There are more than a few scenarios which can take place here.

All of them favorable to Borussia Dortmund......

25. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Reus has far more speed and audacity but Kagawa is much clever, plays one touch football, moves cleverly, in summary he plays like a true playmaker rather than a player looking for goals.

This formula works very well, would be a shame if Dortmund changed it.