Buzz @ 3rd Degree Projects US Starting Lineup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Nov 17, 2004.

1. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About Corrales...his best game this year for the Quakes was when he was paired with Donovan in midfield in the absence of Ekelund and Mulrooney. He played a defensive mid and did not get forward very much. Did an excellent job. When he plays out wide, he has a tendency to want to shoot a lot, and when he does, let's just say more often than not he channels Earnie Stewart; in other words...row 30.

2. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Pope and Beasley both have yellows so you can't call them in. First game of the Hex might be against Mexico, you can't risk them here.

Dolo and Boca should stay in Europe, Arena wins some points not calling in players for a glorified friendly. I know he has every right to call them in, but it's better to make nice with their clubs.

Gaven? I'm not sure if Gaven is even in camp. I really wanted to see him but only if he was surrounded by more first team guys. I just don't think he would gain much from being thrown into a tossed up lineup. I can wait.

I really wanted to see Robbie Russell too, but if he is injured there's not much we can do. It sounded like he was going to be here. Maybe Arena gave Hejduk time off because RR was going to play and with RR's injury he's stuck with Albright. well, it gives Albright one more chance.

I just see a lot of things limiting Bruce's choices. I understand it. This isn't an important qualifier.

There's going to be a big winter camp and one or 2 friendlies before the Hex. There's the gold cup this summer, that will be a great opportunity to look at the younger Euros. Lets watch Gooch and EJ now and then hopefully we will get to see RR and Gaven in January. I think things will sort themselves out by Feb. We will see

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can aruge he's not good enough but to say he's a hothead and emotionally risky is just plain ignorant. whoever you're talking about here, it isn't ramiro corrales.

4. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    Hejduk has a yellow (as do Eddie Lewis, Reyna, Casey, Convey, Pope, Beasley).

Agree with the final bit, two new starters (EJ, Gooch), a couple of veteran (re)tryout (Ralston, Albright) is plenty for one game. There will be time for Gavin, Russell, Spector, et al.

5. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

I agree completely..

Corrales is about as solid a player as you want.. If Buzz's lineup is correct, then obviously he did some solid things in training..

Arena isn't exactly in the habit of handing out starting spots just because a person is left-footed..

Corrales is solid defensively and can counter very well.. His size will also be a factor as he can go toe to toe with a very big Jamaican side..

Ralston to me seems to be an almost carbon copy of Corrales except that he is probably the best American crosser of the ball, and that includes any players in Europe..

I'd sure love to have Ralston and Corrales popping balls into EJ and McBride.. We could do a lot worse (Hejduk anyone?)..

6. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Ahh, thanks. I missed that one. Casey and Convey are the only 2 I would have risked, but they are better off in Europe.

7. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    If the lineup is correct I'd expect that Corrales plays a 2/3s defensive 1/3 offensive left wing (aka the Cobi slot) and Ralston plays the 2/3s offensive 1/3 defensive right wing (aka Ernie Stewart slot) in Bruces tilted diamond that he used at the start of quallifying last time around. Corrales would help Pablo out on D by allowing him to slide a bit to the right to fill in behind Ralston/Albright as they push up. Donavon would play a bit further up field than Reyna would be he would get back faster also. Just a guess...

8. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington

Martin, check your PMs.

9. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Public service announcement to rep Buzz.

The man nailed the starting lineup, as promised.

So Buzz, who's your source?

10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Well, for the second time in my life...I was wrong. Good job getting the line-up.

11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Nice call. I don't need your source, just continue to provide the info! :)