Business ethics help!!

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by admerr, Jul 22, 2009.

1. admerr

admerr Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Story: I have been working for a major financial institution throughout college. I graduated last year and have been looking to begin a career in the recruiting industry. On July 9th, I was offered a position at a local Dallas Medical Recruiting company. I gladly accepted, and signed the acceptance letter and faxed it into the corporate office. I received numerous e-mails stating that they did receive my acceptance of the offer, and that they look forward to my start date of July 27th. The next morning( July 10th) I handed in my two weeks letter of resignation to my current employer.

As of yesterday (July 21st), my new-soon-to-be employer e-mailed me saying that they are rescinding my current offer.

Here's where it gets bad:

My final day of employment with my current company is tomorrow July 23rd. Being a Texas resident, do I have any legal action against the company who more or less, put me out of work? Yeah, by the way, I am unable to file for unemployment because I resigned from my current position.

On top of all of this- I am $25K in debt with student loans, and I am getting married first week of November.

Yay America!!

I am glad to provide the company that put me up Sh!T$ creek if anybody is curious.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't think there is anything you can do.

See if you can rescind your resignation. If you were a good employee, the company you currently work for may be willing to keep you.

3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    uggh that sucks.

Did they give a reason for rescinding? I have no idea legally, but I would check with a lawyer..

This type of situation sucks, (been through something like this before ((hired, laid off, rehired, laid off))

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for your situation but...

Dude, a ton of the shit situation you are in is your fault. Let's go through the list.

1) Faxing the acceptance letter instead of delivering it personally or sending it certified mail/fedex.

2) Resigning without confirmation from the new employer

3) Going 25K in the hole for school.

4) Having a wedding that you obviously can't afford now.

5) Thinking that either company owes you dick. They don't

Now get your head out of your ass and look for another job right now.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Matt, that post is way harsh.

1. Obviously, the letter was received. That's why the company rescinded the offer.

2. He had confirmation from the new employer. He had agreed to a start date.

3. $25K isn't that much in terms of student loan debt. My wife and I have $30K combined and the payments are under $200/month. He has a long time to pay it off.

4. You don't know anything about his wedding. For all we know, he's having it in his backyard.

5. He hasn't asked for anything unreasonable. He wants to know what his options are.

Admerr, I hope you talked to your current employer. I doubt they hired anyone to replace you, and may be willing to keep you.

6. admerr

admerr Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WOW-

Sachin- Thanks for the support.

Matt in the Hat-

1. I could care less if you're a moderator on a soccer forum. You don't know shit about my wedding, and here are the facts that spoke out before being informed.

2. I don't know if you have a college education. If you do, it sounds like your parents pampered you and paid your way. Sorry pal, but most people in the real world have to take out loans to get through school. I got friends with six figures in private school debt.

3. I DID receive confirmation from the new employer. Once via e-mail, and second over the phone. I was even told to give my two weeks notice to my present employer.

4. The company that made me an offer to an extent DOES owe me something. Now I am not only just unemployed, I am unable to file unemployment.

5. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS. You don't know all of the facts. And yes I am busting my ass once again trying to find a new job.

As far as why the offer was rescinded: I was told that they received quarter 2 numbers, and that they cannot afford to hire new employees.

I do not have a criminal record of any kind. I have never even been placed in hand-cuffs.

7. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My apologies for overreacting but the 'Yay America' line really touched a nerve as if this was some sort of a societal problem as opposed to just 'shit happens'. I also wished I would have known as much as you just recently stated.

In NJ, that email, depending on the language is considered a contract so you may have something. However, if this is the field that you want to get into in the future, closing off an avenue with a lawsuit based on conditions out of the employers control (everyone is suffering right now) is probably a bad idea.

As for college, my parents didn't pay a cent. I had scholarships and worked. I also went to a state school. No privilege came from my union home.

And your friends are retards. Education is just not worth that much debt.

I think Sachin is right about getting your old job back although who knows how you will be treated when everyone knows you have one foot out the door. Otherwise, you may have to cut back on lifestyle for a while. You can go to the courthouse to get married and take a hardship exemption on those loans.

We have all made a bad job mistake in our 20's. I left a multinational management consulting company to build scenery when I was 24 and only ended up working 3 weeks at the shop. I had to cash out my existing 401K to survive, at an awful penalty. It sucks. But we learn from it.

Anyway, good luck.

8. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Look son. Take it from a 70+ year old man.

1/ Talk to your current boss. Try to rescind your resignation. BE HONEST about the situation. When you are honest there is no stories or BS to remember, just tell the truth.

2/ this other company. Ask why they rescinded the offer. Was it because the job was never approved? Was it something you did? Was it something you didn't do? Was it a problem with you or was it on their end?

3/ immediately start looking for another 3rd job if the above don't work out. I too have had to cash in the 401k. Immediately talk to the student loan people and indicate you are now unemployed, can they help with lower payments or a couple of months of no payments.

4/ STOP going out to dinner, canx cable, canx the gym, canx the new tires, start buying Kraft Dinner and start turning off the lights when not needed. You will need the internet to look for another job. Fox Soccer channel will be there later.

5/ When they explain #2 above, simply say 'thank you', don't swear or bitch at the person. Then formulate a response that you can go back to them. DON't do it on the fly. Hang up, think about it, write it down and then call the person back. In my 40 yrs of work the main reason something like this happens is because the HR or the manager doing the hiring got a provisional approval of the requisition but then it was ultimately turned down. IE- no funding for a new employee. This is your best option. If this is the case ask if there is another position within the company that you can perform until the job opens up. Ask if the job does open up will you be automatically hired.

The new company is a bunch of morons for pulling this stunt but frankly you need them. If you can figure out what happened then you will be able to figure out what to do.

good luck and keep us in the loop.

1 person likes this.
  9. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    so what's the situation now? If your old job doesn't want you back did you check with a employment and labor attorney in your state to find out what the law is on rescinded job offers?

10. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious what has happened with this situation.

and...

This is a societal problem. There was once loyalty between employer and employee... now employers can fire someone without cause on a whim... can lay off people because the company made only 50 billion in a quarter instead of 50,000,001. Those are different situations, but it all boils down to a lack of protection.

11. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

I too am curious as to whats happened. One of the knock-on effects of the staggering and crumbling US education system is lack of business ethics and the idea now that an employee is simply a number to the company. Nothing more.

12. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too am curious...

1) We didn't hear specifics on why company revoked job offer...
    2) If employee was in good standing in original company he/she should be able to get their job back and cancel resignation...
    3) "Yah America" line seems a slap at an employer and my nation in general...
    4) Where were "business ethics" on part of employee loyalty to original position? Was he/she resigning for reasons or just to make more money and/or benefits...
    5) If employee is $25K in debt for student loans and planning to get married without established job security we are suspect on motives here...

Actually it's a business issue not "societal" problem at all... There was once loyalty between employers and employees that compelled employees to work hard, not unionize, and develop a true dedication to employers that would not require jumping to new positions based purely on the smell of greater compensation. There is a lack of protection for employers that extend employment and benefits to workers only to have them bail out of positions at a moment's notice leaving the employer to suddenly fill positions and company responsibilities... business ethics exists but it must be shared between employer and employee. Principles of trust must be established and be maintained between company and worker and it is not simply employers who must foster ethics and personal responsibility but employees too. Where is the loyalty from someone submitting their resignation for another position based purely on selfish motives (so far as we know from detail provided)? Can we simply condemn private companies when employees hold no ethics for their own actions?

13. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I know nothing about the law save what little I learned in a Business Law course.

2. Look up "Contract by Estoppel"

14. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree with this to a certain extent. Its one thing to entice an employee to join, but there should be some repurcusions to the company for simply laying them off.

What sucks is that I have seen many people leave a job for "greener pastures" (uprooting family, kids schooling, etc) and then be a casualty of layoffs 6 months later. If the company cant plan well enough 6 months out, then they should at least fess up and accomodate those they screwed over.

My point is that companies seem to hire/fire on a whim and laws should be put in place to make them think twice.

15. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could agree with that so long as companies get greater freedoms in hiring consultants. Otherwise, such repercussions will deter businesses from growth even when there is some certainty that it is a good situation.

16. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Good point but what is preventing them from doing so. I dont get the "greater freedom" part. Obviously your probably eluding to cost, and currently its simply easier to hire and fire, than for companies to do their homework.

I dont think thats a bd thing necessarily, but companies should be forced to provide some sort of severance or compensation, that makes them think twice about bringing someone on board.